Peter

How long should a shoe last?

I’m now running in the hoka Bondi.  Best feeling shoe I’ve ever run in. 

However I feel I’m wearing them out too fast. 

How many kms do you feel a shoe should last for?

Edited by Peter

My Hoka Clifton 3s lasted way past 1500km

My Asics Hyperspeeds died after 350km

Interesting.

Just looking at Strava, its saying I have done;

- Bondi 5 (440k) still okay but the sole only has about another 30k in them I think.

- Bondi 6 (510K) have completely torn on both shoes on the outer edge.

They said in the show shop they think my orthotics are doing that to the outer edge.

I'm thinking body weight, running style, terrain and weather conditions, would all make a difference to how long a pair of shoes lasts

• Like 1

Sooo many variables at play. I use 500k as the benchmark for me but it can be as low as 400k or as high as 600k but I usually retire then from running (and put them into general wear category) at 550k just to be on the safe side as I've injured myself before by grinding along on an old pair too long.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone measure there shoe usage by months. Say 40k per week....that's 10-12 weeks looking at the above posts. I get at lest 12 months out of a pair of running shoes......then they become walking shoes, then gardening shoes (mowing lawn etc).

1 hour ago, asmithaxe said:

My Bondi 5's have lasted over 1000k.

What do you weigh?

im 82kg

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

What do you weigh?

im 82kg

75Kg

PS: I wouldn't average 40k per week for 12 months either. But I do run my shoes into the ground....but they do look clean.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Thanks 1

I know I'm only walking in the Bondi's, but I reckon I'm wearing through them faster than I expected.  Was thinking of trying something different next time, maybe a trail shoe.

26 minutes ago, goughy said:

I know I'm only walking in the Bondi's, but I reckon I'm wearing through them faster than I expected.  Was thinking of trying something different next time, maybe a trail shoe.

Yeah I used to run in brooks and could get 800k out of them. 

But after I broke my big to every run was ending in pain. 

Moved to the hoka after advice from a pod and run pain free. 

So im stuck with them now if I want to walk the following day after a run. 

10 minutes ago, Peter said:

So im stuck with them now if I want to walk the following day after a run. 

It's over-rated. Better off drinking the next day.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Does anyone measure there shoe usage by months. Say 40k per week....that's 10-12 weeks looking at the above posts. I get at lest 12 months out of a pair of running shoes......then they become walking shoes, then gardening shoes (mowing lawn etc).

I have four pairs on the go at once so I have to track them individually if I want a hope of knowing where I'm at!

44 minutes ago, monkie said:

I have four pairs on the go at once so I have to track them individually if I want a hope of knowing where I'm at!

Strava does it for you.  You just select the shoe from your list.  

I realised I’ve spend more on shoes than the bike I’ve had since 2010. 

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Strava does it for you.  You just select the shoe from your list.  

I realised I’ve spend more on shoes than the bike I’ve had since 2010. 

Yep I mean I have to track it per KM rather than per month. I do mine through Garmin Connect, there's certainly no manual logging going on! 

I always have a lot of runners in rotation (ie. > 10) and my weight typically fluctuates between 73 and 78kg (occasionally goes above 80kg if I have a large break). 70 to 80% of my running is done on trails.

Once a pair of runners hits 500km, I will reduce how often I run in them or throw them out if they look too worn.

At 800km, I will retire the runners regardless of condition.

My Hoka shoes wear out much faster than my NB shoes. I mainly run trail so there is a lot more wear and tear on the tread.

Like Peter I recover much faster after a long run if I wear Hoka's. So I will keep replacing them.

I was advised to not take my road shoes (I wear the Bondis as well) out to the trails. I have separate trail shoes for that which don't get used all that often anymore, moved away from the trail areas, I'm also accident prone when it comes to trail running.

I find my Hokas take around 60-70 km or so to bed down and be good.  Then up around 800 k or so they get retired (or the upper gets holes, so they get retired) 

Never worn a sole out yet. 

i run in Clifton 5 for road and Stinson ATR's for trail. 

Edited by Turts
typo/autocorrect fixed returned to retired

2 hours ago, MissJess said:

I was advised to not take my road shoes (I wear the Bondis as well) out to the trails. I have separate trail shoes for that which don't get used all that often anymore, moved away from the trail areas, I'm also accident prone when it comes to trail running.

The term 'Trails' can have a wide definition.  I should have said 'Natural Surfaces'.  When running on gnarly trails, I wear trail runners. Most of the time I am running on reasonably hard packed dirt, so any runners are fine. Although the On Cloudflow do pick up a lot crap in their soles.

20 hours ago, goughy said:

Depending which trail show you choose, you may find trail shoes wearing even quicker. They aren't designed for lots of pavement use.

Edited by FatPom

I have 4 pairs in rotation at any time. A general al rounder (usually a Clifton), a light road race show (currently Saucony Ride ISO) and 2 pairs of trail shoes (currently Speedgoat 2 & 3).

I don't track use like I should but with this rotation I tend to change a show every year.  Can't say I've ever noticed dramatic outer sole wear.  One thing I have noticed is that using 2 pairs (or more) in rotation makes 2 pairs last longer than 2 x 1 pair added together.

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

What do you mean by they get returned? 

sorry, typo.  Retired. Retired from running duties. 

It kind of depends on what worn out means - shoes physically falling apart or the midsole losing life. I rarely 'break' a shoe, apart from a bit of wear on the sole (even after 800-1000km on mainly concrete / bitumen). However, the midsole loses integrity and structure gradually but is really only noticeable when you directly compare it a new shoe of the same model. 

In recent times I wore 2 pairs of Pegasus 34 to 1000km each, and could have gone further, and just this week retired a pair of 35s at 800km. They were physically ok, but there was a subtle but noticeable loss of support through the midsole. Now they are perfect for just wearing around or donating to shoe collection service. (FYI I am 63-4kg).

I don't retire my shoes until the foam collapses in the midsole or I wear through the rubber on the bottom. Not unusual for me to go over 1000kms in a shoe 

1 hour ago, willie said:

I don't retire my shoes until the foam collapses in the midsole or I wear through the rubber on the bottom. Not unusual for me to go over 1000kms in a shoe 

I was the same.

Now I have knee arthritis.

Maybe I should have replaced them earlier.

Wouldn't have helped me.  My knees were cactus before I started running.

3 hours ago, CEM said:

It kind of depends on what worn out means - shoes physically falling apart or the midsole losing life. I rarely 'break' a shoe, apart from a bit of wear on the sole (even after 800-1000km on mainly concrete / bitumen). However, the midsole loses integrity and structure gradually but is really only noticeable when you directly compare it a new shoe of the same model.

This has happened to both shoes.  Never had it happen to brooks or asics 

C904DC7E-6B50-4F55-92AC-246D582BB2CE.jpeg

2 hours ago, willie said:

I don't retire my shoes until the foam collapses in the midsole or I wear through the rubber on the bottom. 

No idea what kms I get out shoes (usually 6 or so months with 3 runs a week for brooks and asics. Newtons last longer for me).

What I find is, when the shoes get to the stage Willie describes, Im usually starting to notice some lower back stiffness.  That's when I change to a new pair and the old ones become lawn mowing or dog walking shoes. 

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I was the same.

Now I have knee arthritis.

Maybe I should have replaced them earlier.

It's not the shoes that did that to you and I don't think it would've helped. There's actually evidence out there to suggest that the bigger and more cushioned the shoe, the higher the peak force/load on your body. 

My personal view when people rave on about Hoka etc, isn't that they're the be all end all fix it shoe brand, it's more that they're so different that it forces you to run differently using your body a different way. 

15 minutes ago, Peter said:

Contact Hoka directly, you should be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Peter said:

I've had a couple of pairs of Shoes get to that point, but with the soles still a small bit of life in them.  I usually store them up and use them for a trail run where the conditions are wet and / or muddy and throw them out after.  (Just need to hide them from the wife and her one pair in, one pair out rule)

Glad to hear others get past the 1000km mark, I'm carrying more weight than I need to and still seem to get past this mark consistently.  I usually rotate between at least 2 pairs though as well

42 minutes ago, willie said:

It's not the shoes that did that to you and I don't think it would've helped.

What probably didn't help was my "pre-triathlon" days of running barefoot. Cross country trails & grass were probably ok, but I also used to do fun-runs & road training barefoot.

• Confused 1

On 23/04/2019 at 7:18 PM, Peter said:

What do you weigh?

im 82kg

74kg. This is my first shoe where there was no uneven wear. They still feel comfortable, but have evenly lost grip under my point of contact (midfoot) so are a bit iffy in the wet. They've seen me through training for 2018 Paris Marathon, and 2 ultras. Definitely a Hoka convert. Just started wearing my new replacements which I bought from Willie sometime last year.

My view is that trainers last between 800-1200km depends on the workload that is put on them

Racing flats I would say approx 600km depending on the workload and if focused on distance or speed (10-42k racing vs 5-10K)

4 minutes ago, MackaEvo2 said:

My view is that trainers last between 800-1200km

6 years is a long time to keep a pair of shoes! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

6 years is a long time to keep a pair of shoes! ;)

:lol: tyno :lol: I 

On 23/04/2019 at 6:04 PM, monkie said:

Sooo many variables at play.

yep if the terrier gets hold of them 10 minutes, the labradoodle a couple of months

6 minutes ago, symo said:

yep if the terrier gets hold of them 10 minutes, the labradoodle a couple of months

I'm lucky. My Jack Russel is a nightmare in many, many respects but chewing shoes has never been on his list of ways to wind me up!

I keep looking at the title of this thread and thinking "About the same length as your foot".

• Haha 1

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 7:28 PM, willie said:

My personal view when people rave on about Hoka etc, isn't that they're the be all end all fix it shoe brand, it's more that they're so different that it forces you to run differently using your body a different way. 

Same thing i heard about Newtons a few years back when Crowie was winning everything.

Have been in Saucony Kinvara's for nearly 7 years, marathons, IM, 70.3 etc, i'll get 800-1000k out of them easy, usually have 2-3 in rotation for conditions and where im running.

On 25/04/2019 at 7:28 PM, willie said:

I don't agree. The Hoka with the rocka allows my right big toe that I have broken, to not bend back as much.  Therefore making running less painful.

Having said that NB now make a shoe that does the same thing.

BTW Hoka replaced the shoe.  SO thanks willie for your advice

• Like 1