monkie

Northern Sydney TT Practice

I'm planning on taking the bike actually outdoors next weekend to give it a test before Port an I'm looking for suggestions of decent routes where I can get some good time down on the bars. My usual route (see below) is fine but consists of lots of stopping for lights / long hills / steep hills / pavements / twisty bike tracks. Any suggestions as to some good drags I can get to from Chatswood?

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3084938021

Edited by monkie

Dependent on time, I find a lap of West Head followed by Duffys repeats does the trick. Are you looking for about 90k? Drive to Terry Hills, West Head return via Mcarrs, 4 laps Duffy’s, 5km easy off the bike. Day done - not a traffic light in sight 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

Dependent on time, I find a lap of West Head followed by Duffys repeats does the trick. Are you looking for about 90k? Drive to Terry Hills, West Head return via Mcarrs, 4 laps Duffy’s, 5km easy off the bike. Day done - not a traffic light in sight 

Cheers mate, lovely stuff... I can see the West Head return easy enough: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Terrey+Hills+NSW/West+Head+Lookout,+W+Head+Rd,+Ku-Ring-Gai+Chase+NSW+2084/Terrey+Hills+NSW/@-33.6770069,151.2293369,15.02z/data=!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b0d566392b76eff:0x5017d681632cd50!2m2!1d151.223!2d-33.683!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b0d4d5c78b8f4dd:0xd87c759eae04d59c!2m2!1d151.3085474!2d-33.5790316!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b0d566392b76eff:0x5017d681632cd50!2m2!1d151.223!2d-33.683!3e1

But could you clarify Duffy's? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I really don't know the area!

2 hours ago, monkie said:

You can’t link directly from West Head to Duffys. You’ll have to climb up McCarss Creek Road or climb up Amun’s Bay. You can get to Duffys by riding through Terrey Hills and just keep going ( can also do a circuit of the golf development estate).

Or, 

park at St Ives and access Diffys from the Western side. Just ride along the main road and you’ll come to a cross roads at a big junction which will indicate Terrell Hills to the left. Follow that and it will take you to Duffys.

Caveat. It’s been a long time since I lived in the area, memory is hazy!

7 hours ago, monkie said:

I'm planning on taking the bike actually outdoors next weekend to give it a test before Port an I'm looking for suggestions of decent routes where I can get some good time down on the bars. My usual route (see below) is fine but consists of lots of stopping for lights / long hills / steep hills / pavements / twisty bike tracks. Any suggestions as to some good drags I can get to from Chatswood?

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3084938021

Chris, This is seriously a shitty loop your doing. (No offence intended). My 2nd suggestion would be the West Head/Akuna/McCarrs.

My first suggestion would be ride up the Pacific Hwy to Hornsby and follow old pacific hwy. You can then do 30KM TT loops between Mt Colah Railway Station and Pie in the Sky. I'll be doing them again this weekend. I am cramming....as this weekend was my first ride this month. Come and join me... we'll be averaging around 30kph.

PS: I am in North Turramurra....and I ride out to the highway and up to Hornsby.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Chris, This is seriously a shitty loop your doing. (No offence intended). My 2nd suggestion would be the West Head/Akuna/McCarrs.

My first suggestion would be ride up the Pacific Hwy to Hornsby and follow old pacific hwy. You can then do 30KM TT loops between Mt Colah Railway Station and Pie in the Sky. I'll be doing them again this weekend. I am cramming....as this weekend was my first ride this month. Come and join me... we'll be averaging around 30kph.

PS: I am in North Turramurra....and I ride out to the highway and up to Hornsby.

That looks great Andrew and I'd love to join you... I'm not an early starter though... what time are you planning? I'm looking to do about 4 hours including the way up and back.

And yeah, it's a shitty loop. I never really planned it I just ended up doing it and it's reasonably safe, I know where I am and I know where there are toilet and water stops! You can get a decent workout on it too as there are a lot of hills but it's nothing like a TT effort. I only ride outdoors about once every three months (plus races although none of them so far this year) so it's not bothered me that much but your option looks a lot more pleasant!

Monkie, from Chatswood you're not to far from some of the best riding in Sydney.

• Old Pacific Highway from Hornsby to Brooklyn - Mt White - Calga (approx 40km), either turn around there or continue on to either Somersby or Peats Ridge.
  • Hornsby - Galston Gorge - Berowra Waters loop.
  • Hornsby - Galston Gorge - Wisemans Ferry - Mangrove Mtn - Peats Ridge loop.
  • Bobbin Head.
  • Akuna Bay - West Head.
  • Palm Beach via McCarrs Creek - ferry to Ettalong or Patonga - return via Somersby/Pacific Hwy.

It's really worth getting out more often.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Monkie, from Chatswood you're not to far from some of the best riding in Sydney.

• Old Pacific Highway from Hornsby to Brooklyn - Mt White - Calga (approx 40km), either turn around there or continue on to either Somersby or Peats Ridge.
  • Hornsby - Galston Gorge - Berowra Waters loop.
  • Hornsby - Galston Gorge - Wisemans Ferry - Mangrove Mtn - Peats Ridge loop.
  • Bobbin Head.
  • Akuna Bay - West Head.
  • Palm Beach via McCarrs Creek - ferry to Ettalong or Patonga - return via Somersby/Pacific Hwy.

It's really worth getting out more often.

Exactly what Paul said. When I start I rode with Paul's 'Tambourine Bay Tri Club' group...... Started from Lane Cove. I was amazed where these guys used to ride. You think you know Sydney, but realistically we don't...until we get on a bike.

Nearly all these rides are safe, just need to get out early.

9 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

It definitely wasn't my group. That honour belonged to Nick Reed. :notworthy:

True. But the group opened my eyes to the beauty of Sydney riding.

2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

we'll be averaging around 30kph.

When did you get an e-bike? 😉

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, monkie said:

That looks great Andrew and I'd love to join you... I'm not an early starter though... what time are you planning? I'm looking to do about 4 hours including the way up and back.

And yeah, it's a shitty loop. I never really planned it I just ended up doing it and it's reasonably safe, I know where I am and I know where there are toilet and water stops! You can get a decent workout on it too as there are a lot of hills but it's nothing like a TT effort. I only ride outdoors about once every three months (plus races although none of them so far this year) so it's not bothered me that much but your option looks a lot more pleasant!

Saturday, I will start at St Ives with the Northern Suburbs tri Club at 06:30am. They are heading through Bobbin head and to Brooklyn and return which will pretty much cover the same route (between Mt Colah and pie in the Sky). Your probably looking at 4 hours from Chatswood and 90-100 km. If keen, I can ride to Chatswood first and pick you up at around 5:45 (it's light by 6ish) or... alternately if you are a late riser (how late?) you can meet us on our way back and then we can throw in some 30km loops.

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

It definitely wasn't my group. That honour belonged to Nick Reed. :notworthy:

Is that Nick reed with the dodgy arm?  He used to live in my block on Burns Bay Rd.  I used to ride with a group called Club Anglaise which started at LC. We used to head through Military Rd, up Pittwater Road and then the Akuna Bay and stop at the old Bonds Nursery (before they changed it).  I hated the ride back to LC via Mona Vale road though as by that time, Johnny Redneck had surfaced.

55 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Is that Nick reed with the dodgy arm?  He used to live in my block on Burns Bay Rd.  I used to ride with a group called Club Anglaise which started at LC. We used to head through Military Rd, up Pittwater Road and then the Akuna Bay and stop at the old Bonds Nursery (before they changed it).  I hated the ride back to LC via Mona Vale road though as by that time, Johnny Redneck had surfaced.

Yep Nic Reed. We started outside his unit block (next to the LC Bowling Club) on Saturday mornings. I started in 89 but they had been going since I think about 1983. Nick not only had the dodgy arm and the leg too. I believe as a result of Polio as kid. He did the very first Forster in 1985 and I think even the MMM. Amazing athlete...well ahead of his time and a great bloke too. I last saw him as I ran past in Port a few years ago.

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Yep Nic Reed. We started outside his unit block (next to the LC Bowling Club) on Saturday mornings. I started in 89 but they had been going since I think about 1983. Nick not only had the dodgy arm and the leg too. I believe as a result of Polio as kid. He did the very first Forster in 1985 and I think even the MMM. Amazing athlete...well ahead of his time and a great bloke too. I last saw him as I ran past in Port a few years ago.

hehe small world, that was where I lived (IIRC, 147 Burns Bay Rd). He used to tell me stories about tri and cycling and I got the impression he worked in the industry at some point?