Fitness Buddy

Employer underpaying, not paying super

11 hours ago, -H- said:

The date on the newspaper....

It may have been tomorrow's date, but the actual news was 2 years old. 

About 3700 Mildura workers were not paid or underpaid superannuation in 2016-17............

11 hours ago, Toolish said:

They put tomorrows cover on social media so we will all rush out and buy!

But it's just a wereee bit blurry so u can't read it. Just a tease. 

Woohoo, now we have a big greenhouse too!  Tomorrow. 

Screenshot_20190605-202530_Facebook.jpg

Here is the latest.   

Hit the employer up with letter on Monday after the new FI Award was out. 

Had meeting with them yesterday.   Had every avenue covered in regards to them defending themselves but was not needed. Had my sister come along too to take notes depending on how it went  They admitted they were not aware of the award scale and are back paying to my start date.   They want me to still work there too at the amended rate.   

Not sure if the other trainers are being looked after but I have been told just let them deal with that.   It was noticeable yesterday that they were quite emotional about it and said it wasn't done intentionally. 

They know I give value to them as many clients only want to train with me so potentially they would have bigger issues if I were to be asked to leave. 

So the next two weeks will be interesting just to see how the atmosphere is and whether I am treated differently.

Win for the small guy 

• Like 9

When I had staff, we stuffed up on employees pay rate for a little while.  It was simple; they asked us to check, we checked and were wrong, and back paid them.  Simple.  No huffing, no animosity.  Just sorted it out!

I had a guy from Bendigo ring Thursday looking for work.  He said he'd been ringing every upholsterer from there and all up the East coast, and hasn't found one job yet.  I have work, but will never employ another person again!  My trade doesn't exactly attract Rhodes Scholars, and talking to him on the phone he definitely fitted the standard mould I've often found in this industry.  But I'm a shocking employer, I just can't manage people, and tend to see people as friends instead of employees.  So I get run roughshod over.  But as a small little business scraping by, dealing with payroll, and then having to upgrade our accounting software, and super, and blah blah blah ain't worth the heartache.

Great stuff Andrew. 

I know he probably won’t blow his own trumpet in here but Matt AKA Parkside is looking after his employees 

From his Facebook

From next week, the Federal Govt abolishes penalty rates for weekdays and Sundays, which affects our awesome Front Desk team.
For every shift which finishes after 6pm on a weekday, the Govt has hit them with a 15% pay cut!
We are lucky to employ wonderful young people who are working to support themselves while they are at University. We think they are a massive part of the success of our business and can't see how they are suddenly worth 15% less for working until 8pm when everyone else is at home with their feet up. 
That's why we're not pocketing the 15%, we're leaving their conditions exactly as they are! We think we train them hard, push them to provide you the best experience we can and that they are worth every cent.

onya Matt 

• Like 2

Yep, credit where credits due!  I wonder how many businesses could do better with bosses who valued their staff?  I've worked in a few places where loyalty was demanded, but not returned.  Everyone working looking over their shoulder the whole time......  I was a bad boss because I can't see people as employees at all and was a complete push over.  Good find the middle ground in all that.

Ok the latest here.  This is what I was expecting to happen.  They have dropped two of my shifts stating there is not enough work available on those days.  Was told today not enough work on Friday because one person has cancelled.  The work is there but they don't want to pay me to do the work but prefer to pay the trainers who they are paying less (but not correct rate as a casual trainer)

Stated a few excuses to less work being available.  The main one is that google have changed their algorithms and they no longer get the google traffic on page 1 they were getting before.  Apparently they rely solely on leads from google.  WTF.

So as this was what we were expecting I will now be informing fair work about the situation.  Notifying them about the other trainers and the failure to apply penalty rates correctly.

I have spoken to a couple of clients of the situation.  One stated I don't give a shit whether you are at NR or not, I will see you privately.  A boys dad said the only reason I am here is because of you and what you provide.  

We have 3 trainers with a lot of knowledge (degrees, qualifications) and experience in various sports yet our input on things is never taking into regard.  Team meetings are useless as we discuss stuff share our input and then the boss has his say and says we are wrong.

I have bent over backwards for them numerous times, turned down other jobs because it conflicts with the role there. 

Seems to be pretty standard for this industry. I have a few friends who last a year at each employer as they can’t put up with disorganised and dishonest proprietors. They are very good trainers with clients needs at front of mind.

only solution is to partner with like minded operators and start your own show

• Like 1

On 19/07/2019 at 9:08 PM, Fitness Buddy said:

Ok the latest here.  This is what I was expecting to happen.  They have dropped two of my shifts stating there is not enough work available on those days.  Was told today not enough work on Friday because one person has cancelled.  The work is there but they don't want to pay me to do the work but prefer to pay the trainers who they are paying less (but not correct rate as a casual trainer)

Stated a few excuses to less work being available.  The main one is that google have changed their algorithms and they no longer get the google traffic on page 1 they were getting before.  Apparently they rely solely on leads from google.  WTF.

So as this was what we were expecting I will now be informing fair work about the situation.  Notifying them about the other trainers and the failure to apply penalty rates correctly.

I have spoken to a couple of clients of the situation.  One stated I don't give a shit whether you are at NR or not, I will see you privately.  A boys dad said the only reason I am here is because of you and what you provide.  

We have 3 trainers with a lot of knowledge (degrees, qualifications) and experience in various sports yet our input on things is never taking into regard.  Team meetings are useless as we discuss stuff share our input and then the boss has his say and says we are wrong.

I have bent over backwards for them numerous times, turned down other jobs because it conflicts with the role there. 

All the best FB, while this is going be sure to take care of yourself because it can be a draining & emotional time. 

And its good to hear your clients saying they appreciate your skills & what you do for them