BogFrog

New sleeveless Wetsuit - help

I'm in the market for a new sleeveless wetsuit as I hate mine (end up with a sore left arm & shoulders) and I have some questions for the brains trust...

1) What are brands? Orca don't do a sleeveless. There's blueseventy, zone3, volare - what else is out there?

2) I've seen pricing from $140 to $800 - what is the difference and is it worth it? I've read the blurbs/spiel but is it all just marketing rubbish? They all seem to have 5mm on the body and 3mm on moving parts, but they have different coating etc - how much difference does it really make?

3) I'm a good swimmer without the wetsuit and don't need it to 'correct' my position. Should I avoid the ones that have the marketing stating that it will raise my legs up etc?

4l What should I look for and what should I avoid?

Thanks!

Sailfish is a brand I like. Not that common in Aus. More Euro. 

I only use their sleeved though, so couldn't help on their sleeveless. 

• Like 1

My opinion get the one that’s 5mm all over and I reckon the cheaper of that one would do the trick .

i swam in a couple a few years back in the pool and my old wavelength smoothie from early 90,s was just as fast . Nothing flash just a solid bit of rubber !

looking at surfing steamers lately for me and my boys and I stumbled across I guy that makes and sells them with no marketing no sponsor no shop mark up etc and it’s identical materials and glue seams etc 400 bucks cheaper then the rip curl Hurley’s etc a few guys have them down here and swear by them.

So in my opinion you don’t need to pay for the brand especially sleeveless 👍

• Like 1

I've have had my Aleeda wetsuit for 5 years now. Use it about 3 or 4 times a year. 5 mm all over. Cheap as chips brand new. Not a newer name brand but gets me around. $200. The leg occasionally rides up near my knee but with a bigger right leg than my left, I expect it.

http://aleeda.com.au/index.php/triathlon.html

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1

Flash marketing gimmicks will make much less difference in a sleeveless wetsuit. If you can try a few on, just go with what feels best on. 

• Like 2

Xterra Vengenance

Prizna wore one (I think) for IMWA. Fastest AG swim.

I

12 hours ago, BogFrog said:

I'm in the market for a new sleeveless wetsuit as I hate mine (end up with a sore left arm & shoulders) and I have some questions for the brains trust...

1) What are brands? Orca don't do a sleeveless 

Yeah they do. 

I use an Orca S6 sleeveless suit that has been great. Pretty sure they're still available. 

11 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Didn’t even no they still had a Aleeda around they were a great wettie as well.

I had that after my wavelength 👍

The one I've borrowed for Byron is an old Aleeda, must be 15yrs old, works just fine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Flash marketing gimmicks will make much less difference in a sleeveless wetsuit. If you can try a few on, just go with what feels best on. 

Why would it make lead difference in a sleeveless? And saying that there is a difference says that there IS something to the marketing?

The shoulder and sleeves are where you probably want the best flexibility in a wetsuit. That becomes moot in a sleeveless wetsuit.

• Like 1

I wear a sleeveless Blue seventy helix. I find that they fit really well and are very flexible.They also have female sizing that suits me.  I bought the cheaper version Blue Seventy once and hated it the helix felt like a second skin,  this one didn't. If the Blue seventy helix fits you I highly recommend them. You can sometimes find old versions quite cheap online. I wear one that's about 4 years old.

• Like 1

I have a sleeveless ROKA.  I hated my sleeved wetsuit. Love my ROKA.  I am a MOP swimmer.....

got mine for $200 (including postage) at one of their regular clearance sales.

Edited by Cat Lady
Cost
  • Like 1

Another dumb question - with clothes / kit, it depends on shape - tall & slim vs short & stocky, although same weight, will not wear the same size... is it the same with wetties or do they stretch up/out the way they need to?

(In case I want to order online instead of trying one on - not many places around here)

If you go with Blue seventy they fit pretty accurate to their sizing chart. They have a lot of different sizes that fit both slim and a little round. 

On 21/04/2019 at 4:02 PM, BogFrog said:

Another dumb question - with clothes / kit, it depends on shape - tall & slim vs short & stocky, although same weight, will not wear the same size... is it the same with wetties or do they stretch up/out the way they need to?

(In case I want to order online instead of trying one on - not many places around here)

I use a blueseventy react sleeveless. It’s been fine for me.

most wetsuits sizes have a fit range.

A basic question - I am a MOP swimmer - body position not great. Should I just be going for buoyancy, ie thicker with a sleeveless?

Two things I notice swimming with a wettie - I get a sorer lower back because I think my arse and chest float higher = more bend in lower back.  And lifting my head to sight is harder, because your legs don't sink down do easily.

I used to pray for a non-wettie swim with my full body Helix just because I always found it too restrictive around the upper body, even though I was faster in it.  And in flat water like at Port, I just didn't need a wettie.  But with a 3/4 sleeveless and in surf conditions, I'm much more comfy & will be praying for a wettie swim in Byron, though it seems unlikely as water temp is currently over 25.

On 04/05/2019 at 7:41 AM, Bosco said:

A basic question - I am a MOP swimmer - body position not great. Should I just be going for buoyancy, ie thicker with a sleeveless?

opt for buoyancy

• Like 1