Sign in to follow this  
Ironnerd

Swim Skin 2019 Edition

I am in the market for a swim skin for Kona this year. There are a few old threads on swim skins, but they are all 2+ years old.

Any advice on what to look for in a swim skin? Best brands?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

I am in the market for a swim skin for Kona this year.

Thanks

nice brag

shouldn't you be old school and speedo's

that would get you on the video highlights

32 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

nice brag

shouldn't you be old school and speedo's

that would get you on the video highlights

I am going via the frequent flyer program - Legacy. No brag here 😀

I am a slow swimmer and do not have access to a pool for the 4 weeks that I am at work. The only way that I will get on the video highlights is if they show the last swimmer getting out of the water.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

I think the legacy is great, only way i would get there. You have the right to be there.

• Thanks 1

I don't think for someone that is there to tick the box, really need to drop $300 on a swimskin you'll wear once and maybe save 3 minutes in the swim at best.

Just swim in your trisuit and enjoy the swim.  It is a great Ironman swim.  Probably the best swim course there is on the circuit.

Save your $300 for the expo.

FYI This is what I did.

Edited by Peter

Yup I agree with Pistol Pete. I wouldn’t bother. I’ve worn mine once in 3 years. Quicker to get my wetsuit off as well. Just get a decent trisuit.

50 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

I am a slow swimmer and do not have access to a pool for the 4 weeks that I am at work.

In that case I definitely wouldn’t bother. 

What peter said

but I’d just swim in speedos or what ever u normally swim in the pool and get changed

if u think I might go for a swim skinnthen just wait till u get there

plenty of bargains at the expo , you’ll pick up a no name brand for $100 just make sure it’s a good fit 

I like the new blueseventy sleeved one .In QLD most of my races are non wetsuit. I do invest in a decent one for that reason. 😀

Wear a swimskin for sure, it allows you to wear whatever you want on the bike (slightly loose top if that floats your boat) and you won’t have to worry about it swallowing water during the swim, if you wear a tri suit you can roll it down or if a two piece you can put it in your t1 bag. 

Other thing to take in to account is that often there can be stingers in the water there, if you have a sleeved swimskin on you’ll be less likely to get them down your suit. 

You’ve got a fair while to find a secondhand one, just keep an eye out and you’ll get one for $100 odd dollars and I’m sure if looked after you could sell it post race for similar money. 

don't think for someone that is there to tick the box, really need to drop $300 on a swimskin you'll wear once and maybe save 3 minutes in the swim at best.

There's no way you'd gain 3min in a swim skin - it is only lycra - just wear a pair of race knicks and put a jersey on for the bike to protect your shoulders from the sun - seriously I don't think there's any gain from a swim skin - it's all in the head 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Peter said:

I don't think for someone that is there to tick the box, really need to drop $300 on a swimskin you'll wear once and maybe save 3 minutes in the swim at best.

Just swim in your trisuit and enjoy the swim.  It is a great Ironman swim.  Probably the best swim course there is on the circuit.

Save your $300 for the expo.

FYI This is what I did.

Didn't worry me. I was one of the few that just wore tri shorts and a bare chest!!!  Swam 1:10 which was rather slow but who cares!!!

PS: Seeding correctly is important at swim start. I got hammered. First time in a long time I was actually concerned. I forgot to realise most of the people racing were qualifiers and could swim. Pity they can't all bike and run :)

Thanks for all of the advice.

I will see if I can pick up a cheap one. It will protect me from stingers and sun and protect everyone else from the sight of my belly!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3