spaghettihead

Lausanne ITU Worlds Uniform

So ITU comes out a few weeks ago and says that you can wear any uniform that has previously been approved.

In the Athlete Agreement that TA just sent out, it says that athletes can't wear the Scody uniform that has been used for the past 5(?) years. Clearly they want to make money for the new uniform supplier, but I'm not sure how they can justify that, given it is not consistent with ITU regulations

I'm still getting over the shock of the team/ entry fee, $900. I dont think I can do it.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I'm still getting over the shock of the team/ entry fee, $900. I dont think I can do it.

Are they kidding? 

Go do a 70.3 around the world somewhere. Better bang for your buck. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AA7 said:

😲   

What does that include??   

16 minutes ago, roxii said:

😲   

What does that include??   

Copy and paste from the document......

1. Race entry (this is your entry into the 2019 ITU Age Group Triathlon World Championships and is paid directly to the event organiser by Triathlon Australia)

2. Triathlon Australia staff member (Alexandra Fehon) to support athletes prior to travelling to the event.

3. Triathlon Australia team manager to support athletes on the ground in Lausanne.

4. Australian age group triathlon team doctor to support athletes on the ground in Lausanne.

5. Australian age group triathlon team bike mechanic to support athletes on the ground in Lausanne.

6. Australian age group triathlon team function

7. International travel insurance. Detailed travel insurance information can be located here

• Sad 1

I qualified for both the 70.3 Worlds in Nice and ITU Worlds in Lausanne. Was originally planning to race both, but then decided to just race Nice. Looks like I made the correct decision.

Off memory the race entry for Nice was around $700 (was paid in Euros). And I don't need to purchase a new uniform. Significantly cheaper for a much longer race.

I've done four ITU Worlds - Vancouver, London, Adelaide (Duathlon) & Gold Coast and one 70.3 Words - Mooloolaba.  I've enjoyed them all, but felt Mooloolaba was a class above.

28 minutes ago, Peter said:

Rich persons sport 

Any rich people want to send me a few bucks. Maybe I should start a GoFund Me :)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Any rich people want to send me a few bucks. Maybe I should start a GoFund Me :)

I'll gladly sponsor your ParkRun entry fees.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Copy and paste from the document......

1. Race entry (this is your entry into the 2019 ITU Age Group Triathlon World Championships and is paid directly to the event organiser by Triathlon Australia)

2. Triathlon Australia staff member (Alexandra Fehon) to support athletes prior to travelling to the event.

3. Triathlon Australia team manager to support athletes on the ground in Lausanne.

4. Australian age group triathlon team doctor to support athletes on the ground in Lausanne.

5. Australian age group triathlon team bike mechanic to support athletes on the ground in Lausanne.

6. Australian age group triathlon team function

7. International travel insurance. Detailed travel insurance information can be located here

so race entry then...?

Only chance I will get to wear the green and gold. Unless I go get liposuction and get down to 65kg dripping wet to be competitive in my AG. Thats at least a $20k bill and no holiday after. 🤣

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

I know someone who did that for Mexico a few years ago. Seriously though you're in such great form ATM you might win an actual medal with your name on it and everything 😁

5 hours ago, spaghettihead said:

So ITU comes out a few weeks ago and says that you can wear any uniform that has previously been approved.

In the Athlete Agreement that TA just sent out, it says that athletes can't wear the Scody uniform that has been used for the past 5(?) years. Clearly they want to make money for the new uniform supplier, but I'm not sure how they can justify that, given it is not consistent with ITU regulations

Bloody knew it. 

I already have 2.  The first year was a c** up with the size, so I had to buy one that fitted the second year. 

Now I have to buy another. 

As for the cost, yeah I couldn't believe it's $900. And $860 or so for the sprint. 

But I'm in for both, and it's only $11xx.  

A woman in my age group wore a really old one at worlds on the Gold Coast - nothing was said to her at all...  It looked a little different but she for away with it...

5 hours ago, AA7 said:

4 hours ago, A2K said:

I know someone who did that for Mexico a few years ago. Seriously though you're in such great form ATM you might win an actual medal with your name on it and everything 😁

I know someone who did it for the long course worlds in the US a few years ago.

5 hours ago, A2K said:

Knowing AA7’s luck they might follow in the footsteps of Triathlon Australia and give her a nice swim cap and goggles instead of a medal 😂

• Haha 1

That's the easy bit, wait for them to ban parts of your bike at 9pm the night before your 5am check in by putting a notice on facebook .....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turts said:

Bloody knew it. 

I already have 2.  The first year was a c** up with the size, so I had to buy one that fitted the second year. 

Now I have to buy another. 

As for the cost, yeah I couldn't believe it's $900. And $860 or so for the sprint. 

How much is the uniform Turts?

7 hours ago, FatPom said:

Not sure this year. I think they post the link today. 

But last year I think it was around $200? 

I can understand. But it's a bit shit. The overseas one's are pricey enough as it is. 

3 minutes ago, Turts said:

Not sure this year. I think they post the link today. 

But last year I think it was around $200? 

I can understand. But it's a bit shit. The overseas one's are pricey enough as it is. 

So it’s $900 plus whatever the uniform is? That’s getting up there!

10 minutes ago, FatPom said:

So it’s $900 plus whatever the uniform is? That’s getting up there!

Sure is. 

Plu s all the other stuff.  

• Sad 1

Sorry so whats the $900 for?

Just the Olympic distance?

Whats the cost if you do 

Aquathon

Sprint

Olympic

$900 x 3?

10 minutes ago, Peter said:

Whats the cost if you do 

Aquathon

Sprint

Olympic

$900 x 3?

Turts answered it above in part. $1100 & something for the Olympic & Sprint, so obviously discounts for multiple.

14 hours ago, Turts said:

40 minutes ago, Peter said:

Whats the cost if you do 

Aquathon

Sprint

Olympic

$900 x 3?

There is only Sprint and Oly here.  Aquathlon is part of Multisport Worlds along with crosstri, aquabike, duathlons and long course (Spain, soon). 

The cost is race entry plus team contribution. 

If you do more than one race, you only pay the contribution once. 

So sprint is $869 (I think).  Std is $900.   Both is $11xx - not $1800. 

8 minutes ago, Turts said:

The cost is race entry plus team contribution. 

If you do more than one race, you only pay the contribution once. 

So sprint is $869 (I think).  Std is $900.   Both is $11xx - not $1800. 

So race entry for the Sprint is $2xx & for the Olympic, around $300.

That means they are stinging you $600 to send a few helpers over. Pity you can't do a "self-supported" entry.

So...having travelled O?S for races I see it like this: 

2. Triathlon Australia staff member (Alexandra Fehon) to support athletes prior to travelling to the event. NOT REQUIRED

3. Triathlon Australia team manager to support athletes on the ground in Lausanne. NOT REQUIRED

4. Australian age group triathlon team doctor to support athletes on the ground in Lausanne. NOT REQUIRED

5. Australian age group triathlon team bike mechanic to support athletes on the ground in Lausanne. NOT REQUIRED

6. Australian age group triathlon team function Maybe but: NOT REQUIRED

7. International travel insurance. Detailed travel insurance information can be located here. You will get it yourself anyway

Ironman suddenly became cheap compared to this.......... and you also get:

Free entry to the Beer Mile if you want to.

Plus you get a really good bag,

A towel

2 Dinners (sort of)

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So race entry for the Sprint is $2xx & for the Olympic, around $300.

That means they are stinging you $600 to send a few helpers over. Pity you can't do a "self-supported" entry.

That is a great idea. I didn't utilise any of the extra services on the Gold Coast last year.

That's a crazy amount of coin!!!

I snagged a spot for Nice 70.3 and just checked - it was 459 Euro (about $720 i think)... I thought that was fricking expensive at the time, but it seems like a bargain now!

🙂

5 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

So...having travelled O?S for races I see it like this: 

2. Triathlon Australia staff member (Alexandra Fehon) to support athletes prior to travelling to the event. NOT REQUIRED

3. Triathlon Australia team manager to support athletes on the ground in Lausanne. NOT REQUIRED

4. Australian age group triathlon team doctor to support athletes on the ground in Lausanne. NOT REQUIRED

5. Australian age group triathlon team bike mechanic to support athletes on the ground in Lausanne. NOT REQUIRED

6. Australian age group triathlon team function Maybe but: NOT REQUIRED

7. International travel insurance. Detailed travel insurance information can be located here. You will get it yourself anyway

Ironman suddenly became cheap compared to this.......... and you also get:

Free entry to the Beer Mile if you want to.

Plus you get a really good bag,

A towel

2 Dinners (sort of)

Yes but IM don't need to subsidise 8 separate limited field events with the corresponding road closures spread over a week, plus an ITU bureaucrat festival.

oh wait, tell me again, why should the AG World Champs do that? - if id didn't they could trim the each country's team to 10 per cat and 1/2 the entry fee while still improving the goodies bag (page Barry Voevodin for advice on the financials).

9 minutes ago, trifun said:

Yes but IM don't need to subsidise 8 separate limited field events with the corresponding road closures spread over a week, plus an ITU bureaucrat festival.

oh wait, tell me again, why should the AG World Champs do that? - if id didn't they could trim the each country's team to 10 per cat and 1/2 the entry fee while still improving the goodies bag (page Barry Voevodin for advice on the financials).

Lausanne isn't 8 events over a week. 

It's 2 events on a weekend (the junior and pros are separate, and not part of TA's thing I would imagine

I don't know how much Pontevedra (multisport, more events, over a longer timeframe) was. 

Whilst I agree a self-supported arrangement could be nice, there is merit in providing medical and mechanical support for the team in a foreign country. Whilst not everyone would use it, if you need it, having an aussie there who knows our meds and language would be a terrific help. 

I see it like subsidising childcare and early learning centres.   I don't have kids so could see it as unfair that people with kids get so much more money off the government to subsidide what should be their liability. 

However, I'd rather get old in a country with well educated and well adjusted people running it and looking after me in my nursing home. 

On 16/04/2019 at 10:18 PM, MissJess said:

Only chance I will get to wear the green and gold. Unless I go get liposuction and get down to 65kg dripping wet to be competitive in my AG. Thats at least a $20k bill and no holiday after. 🤣

Can’t you just send a letter away for the foreign races and get a discretionary pick assuming they don’t have twenty peeps for the age group.  It isn’t like it’s an exclusive team, by memory, they take the person who has done the most races on the point score if people are tied... if it was exclusive, they’d take the one with the least races for the most points. 

Memory off course, happy for someone with more time to dig up the selection policy. 

3 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Can’t you just send a letter away for the foreign races and get a discretionary pick assuming they don’t have twenty peeps for the age group.  It isn’t like it’s an exclusive team, by memory, they take the person who has done the most races on the point score if people are tied... if it was exclusive, they’d take the one with the least races for the most points. 

Memory off course, happy for someone with more time to dig up the selection policy. 

Pretty sure what MissJess meant was that despite the cost of the entry, she will go, as per her post. 

They can take up to 20 peeps per age group.  Only the mens 50-54 had more than 20 EoI's. Less actually will go. 

So if you submitted an EoI and raced, as Jess did, you will get an offer of a spot. 

(as did I). 

Just now, Slunnie said:

Is it still the same design as the Scody uniforms?

Dunno.  Alex's email said the link to the uniform shop would be sent today, but I haven't seen it yet. 

Would have to be similar.  But I'm guessing there's a unique slant that makes it very clear its a new designer/provider. 

• Like 1

On 16/04/2019 at 8:04 PM, AA7 said:

Qantas has San Fran ex Syd for $949 return the other week.  I know where I would be spending my first $900 bucks.  

In fact if I walked into a pub and asked the common person if they would pay $900 to do a 2 / 2.5 hour triathlon they would say no. It simply fails the pub test. 

If you are cashed up though, and it rocks your boat, why not. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Turts said:

Pretty sure what MissJess meant was that despite the cost of the entry, she will go, as per her post. 

They can take up to 20 peeps per age group.  Only the mens 50-54 had more than 20 EoI's. Less actually will go. 

So if you submitted an EoI and raced, as Jess did, you will get an offer of a spot. 

(as did I). 

Cool.  That’s how it should be, getting as many people as possible to the races and doing the sport. 

16 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Qantas has San Fran ex Syd for $949 return the other week.  I know where I would be spending my first $900 bucks.  

In fact if I walked into a pub and asked the common person if they would pay $900 to do a 2 / 2.5 hour triathlon they would say no. It simply fails the pub test. 

I think if you walked into a pub and asked the common person if they would pay $900 to do an 8 to 17 hour triathlon, they would also say no. 

I don't think our hobbies of paying to exercise would pass any pub test. 

Then again, I rarely go to the pub. Mainly because I pay to exercise instead. 

• Like 1

We are also using it to go on holiday. Will be hitting up the beer halls in Munich, the symphony in Vienna and the wall in Berlin. Also some watch shopping in Zurich (maybe), and CERN in Geneva!

It's been a while since I have been overseas.

Also discretionary picks do not work if your AG is full in your chosen event. Closest chance I have in Australia is maybe standard distance duathlon or aqua bike.

Just now, MissJess said:

We are also using it to go on holiday. Will be hitting up the beer halls in Munich, the symphony in Vienna and the wall in Berlin. Also some watch shopping in Zurich (maybe), and CERN in Geneva!

Ditto.  Great excuse for a holiday! 

Well done to those going to the worlds. If it makes you feel any better I did the Worlds in Perth many years ago and it was only a couple of hundred $$ cheaper. I also live in Perth so if I got sick I would use my DR and my LBS if there was a problem with my bike. Our uniforms were another couple of hundred and awful frog green and designed for women who were a max of 50kg, which I am not. My kiwi mate paid something like half the price which included her race kit which was a flattering black!!! Anyway the race is just an excuse for a holiday, I hope you have an amazing time .

1 hour ago, Oompa Loompa said:

I think if you did it more than once, you are just throwing money away.  But for sure do the ITU world championships once to say, been there done that.

But I agree.  $900 just to enter a 2hr race is farking retarded if you do it over and over.  Unless you are going to actually podium and be the World Champion in your age Group.  But if you are just doing it to finish, FFS do it once and then do some of the awesome races around the world if you must travel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turts said:

I think if you walked into a pub and asked the common person if they would pay $900 to do an 8 to 17 hour triathlon, they would also say no. 

I don't think our hobbies of paying to exercise would pass any pub test. 

Then again, I rarely go to the pub. Mainly because I pay to exercise instead. 

I thought you said somewhere on here you could never run again due to some injury.

So why do this event? 

Whats the end goal given you've done the ITU Worlds before? You can already say you've done the World Championships. You aren't going for a PB due to injuries? I'm clearly missing something here.

• Like 1

Just now, Peter said:

around the world if you must travel

Worlds are in some awesome places around the world.  Not like turning up to the same IM race in the same location on the same course year after year. 

But each to their own.  

I've enjoyed doing Worlds in different locations.  The experience of racing in a different country/culture with different other teams and events is great. 

Just now, Peter said:

I thought you said somewhere on here you could never run again due to some injury.

So why do this event? 

Whats the end goal given you've done the ITU Worlds before? You can already say you've done the World Championships. You aren't going for a PB due to injuries? I'm clearly missing something here.

Correct.  I likely won't ever run again enough for an IM or such.   But am hoping to be able to run for shorter events, even if I don't run-train much. 

Worlds for me isn't only about a PB or wining.   There's a very different vibe around the whole event that I enjoy, mostly the part of doing it in a foreign country (different for different years) with other nationalities representing their country. 

I like it.  

(oh and I was injured last Oly Worlds in Rotterdam, so may well pull a PB, you just never know.  But i won't win, that is true). 

The only thing you're missing is you're not me.  We enjoy different things.  You don't need to understand it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FatPom said:

$160 for the regular suit. 

$240  for the superfast pro version

$85 for tri top and $80 for tri shorts

1 minute ago, Turts said:

The team polo is yellow. Very very yellow........

image.png.7faf1d8a4db63b921708926951f87c80.png

Goodness gracious me.

8 minutes ago, roxii said:

Did they get them from a workwear supplier? 

Or from the Wiggles?