Flanman

Sending a Bag Home

After some advice.

Looking at doing a Canada/Alaska trip next July. Also thinking about adding a stopover in Hawaii. As it will be relatively cool in Canada/Alaska then the hot in Hawaii, I was thinking about sending my cool clothes home from Canada before flying to Hawaii. My missus & I would pile the cools into once suitcase then send it home. Has anyone done this ? Who did you use ? Approx costs ? Any problems with this or ideas ?

Thanks

FM

PS: No, I am not sending the missus home......

Edited by Flanman

Unless you are taking it as excess baggage already, or planning on buying heaps of stuff in Hawaii, I'd just take it with me & leave it unopened in the motel room. There may even be somewhere at the airport you could leave it for minimal cost. I'd imagine it would be fairly pricey to send it home, given the cost of getting anything else sent from the states.

Go Hawaiian airlines. 2x32kg baggiage each. We take a suitcase inside a suitcase on the way over and 2 full bags on the way home. Use kerbside checkin at honolulu and you are gold

• Like 1

On occasion I've just posted stuff back. I've found it relatively cheap to just buy a 10kg international box from a post office, fill it with stuff you won't need again and just post it back. 2 x 10kg will make a big difference to what you end up hauling around after your Canada leg of the journey.

• Like 1

I’m in North America now (USA/ Canada), just left Alaska today. Have a couple of days in Hawaii when I get to heading home. First time I haven’t flown the red roo in as long as I can remember and flew Hawaiin. 

My gear at check in weighed 13kgs all up including my favourite rip curl jacket which weighs over a kilo by itself. My wife’s gear was 17kgs. 

I have a plastic bag in the bottom of bag with a pair of thonges, 2 pairs of shorts and a pair of budgy smugglers - that’s my Hawaii gear, 500 grams or so that won’t be opened to I get to Honolulu. 

I do travel a bit for work so use to travelling light.  I also use laundry’s where ever I go overseas as well. Just  drop it off and go back at the end of the day or if I jag one in a hotel, just do it when everyone else is a sleep but keeps the gear down. 

• Like 1

And if you do any of the trendy stuff like northern lights or anything like that, speak to the tour operators, they will often have real cold gear to use over the top of your cold gear. 

Icebreaker merino under shirts are real good stuff too, worth the money and warm and light as. Better then other brands I have tried and I mean heaps heaps better and I’ve been doing extreme cold since the 1980’s. Not just warmth but comfort on the skin with the merino and cut.   Just a real good product.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

I have a plastic bag in the bottom of bag with a pair of thonges, 2 pairs of shorts and a pair of budgy smugglers - that’s my Hawaii gear, 500 grams or so that won’t be opened to I get to Honolulu. 

You could not pay me to own a pair of thongs.

Also, Flanman..... your going in July = Summer. I think you may be over exaggerating your clothing needs.

PS: I got away with using just 1 bag for 4 weeks travel (Skiing in Park City for 2 weeks, La for 1 weeks, Hawaii for 1 week).

And in that bag was ski boots + ski gear. You just need to be able to wash thing like thermals, T shirts and underwear often.

Average daytime summer temperatures range from approximately 55 to 78 °F (12.8 to 25.6 °C);

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Anchorage

21 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I think you may be over exaggerating your clothing needs.

Not mine - the missus. She packs like we are moving house.

FM

2 hours ago, Flanman said:

Not mine - the missus. She packs like we are moving house.

FM

I'm glad mine's not the only one.

3 hours ago, nealo said:

I'm glad mine's not the only one.

Hired a car the other day and the car rental person said, your bags are like she does for a weekend.... we all just laughed as I handed over the credit card. 

Such merriment.