trinube

Fitness Devices

I've found myself in possession of some JB Hifi vouchers and was considering some sort of monitoring device.

Not really interested in the high level Garmins etc but thought a low-mid range thing might be OK. Does anyone have any experience with the Fitbit Charge 3 or the Samsung GearFit 2 Pro? It would be nice to have something which tracks swimming, sleep and all the non-running things I do (rock climbing, yoga, walks etc) and does the Credit Card touch thing.

Any other suggestions/recommendations?

You could probably get a Garmin 235 for a similar price to the Fitbit you said. 

9 hours ago, Rog said:

Apple Watch

No chance Rog, very unimpressed with the direction Apple is heading and certainly don't want to encourage them. The watch is indicative of the issue; overpriced, under-spec'd, form over function, crap battery life, unreliable connections, cases popping out etc.

We're in the midst of swapping our Mac servers for Linux boxes and replacing desktops with Windows machines. I'm sick of them. There's an old saying "Bill Gates wants to own the world, Steve Jobs (Apple) wants to change the world". It's been totally reversed, Apple have zero concern for customers beyond their credit card number.

</rant>

What about something like a vivoactive 3 music?  Cheaper than the Fenix's, and not as big.  Better battery life than the apples or Samsung's.  Tracks most things (except open water swimming).  Has NFC payments as long as your bank supports Garmin pay (check website).  Stores music onboard, and can even respond to messages with user set canned responses.  When I had a pebble watch, I reckon at least half of all messages I received I could reply with a canned response or emoji.

And what I like the most, always on screen.  I still find it strange that someone would want something with a blank screen hanging on their wrist.  My families Apple and Sammy watches look strange to me because of that.

1 minute ago, goughy said:

What about something like a vivoactive 3 music?  Cheaper than the Fenix's, and not as big.  Better battery life than the apples or Samsung's.  Tracks most things (except open water swimming).  Has NFC payments as long as your bank supports Garmin pay (check website).  Stores music onboard, and can even respond to messages with user set canned responses.  When I had a pebble watch, I reckon at least half of all messages I received I could reply with a canned response or emoji.

OW swimming is something I do want. Not overly fussed with quick replies, music etc as I always carry my phone anyway. It's more to record the non-standard things I do. I think NFC payments is handy - never know when you might need it.

If you're not worried about music you can go the standard vivoactive 3.  But again, b no open water swimming.

Honestly, if you want own water swimming and NFC payments then you're stuck with the F5 plus range ATM.  I don't know if the fitbits etc can do OWS.  Don't know if the Apple watch or Sammy's can do that either.  

Goss is that a 935 replacement is on its way.  It'll probably do it all.

Seen Fenix 3's or 735's going 2nd hand for as little as $200-250. 

Buy something else with the JB vouchers and get a Fenix or a 735 second hand. 

Samsung Active smartwatch recently released. $300 or thereabouts.

But every gadget adds to the gadget load :)