ironpo

What has happened to all the IM sponsors?

So for you young folk we use to get a competitor shirt in our goodie bag as well as a finishers shirt if you finished 

this is the second last one we got I think from 2009 IMOZ

as you can see there are mega amount sponsors, so what has happened to them these days , as we have hardly any sponsors on the shirts or out on the course 

surely losing this amount of support has impacted the bottom line hence rising costs of entry etc 

is it just the case that IM just doesn’t put in the time or have the time to get sponsors due to the small amount of full time workers that they actually have , as I would imagine that it would be pretty hard gig with many events chasing any support possible 

image.jpg

image.jpg

First hand experience. They're delirious about what it's 'worth' 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, willie said:

First hand experience. They're delirious about what it's 'worth' 

Who?

IM or the perspective sponsors?

Although as the IM Asia-Pac CEO told me at the time when I hit him up about a transfer, apparently their systems don’t accommodate carrying over entries to next year’s race 🤔

Have decided Crossfit is where it's at!

6 hours ago, trilobite said:

Although as the IM Asia-Pac CEO told me at the time when I hit him up about a transfer, apparently their systems don’t accommodate carrying over entries to next year’s race 🤔

You got scammed.  I bumped my Geelong entry 12 months. 

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

You got scammed.  I bumped my Geelong entry 12 months. 

He did offer transfer of a Noosa entry to Ballarat 1/2 IM. Given I had explained the reason for the request was a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament, I think he may have had a wheel chair entry in mind for me...

They worked out that triathletes were willing to pay to sponsor products so they could feel exclusive and join faux teams like every man jack and cup cake cartels

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 1:11 PM, trifun said:

They got bored

They never had me.

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, BarryBevan said:

They worked out that triathletes were willing to pay to sponsor products so they could feel exclusive and join faux teams like every man jack and cup cake cartels

For all the effort chasing sponsors they decided it was easier to charge athletes extra. Same money with no effort.

Damm Barry you really don't like EMJ - what did they do to you? 

• Haha 2

On 18/04/2019 at 3:34 PM, Bored@work said:

For all the effort chasing sponsors they decided it was easier to charge athletes extra. Same money with no effort.

Segue to ITU Lausanne Uniforms / cost thread...

On 18/04/2019 at 3:34 PM, Bored@work said:

They never had me.

Damm Barry you really don't like EMJ - what did they do to you? 

I hold grudges, think I got annoyed while living in the US

8 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

I hold grudges, think I got annoyed while living in the US

They were faster than you? 

On 14/04/2019 at 7:08 AM, ironpo said:

Who?

IM or the perspective sponsors?

IM. They ask a huge amount for sponsorship and I don't think many, if any business would see a positive return on investment in Australia/NZ. 

18 hours ago, willie said:

IM. They ask a huge amount for sponsorship and I don't think many, if any business would see a positive return on investment in Australia/NZ. 

If you were the major sponsor for busso, port, Taupo and cairns I think the over exposure would provide value.  

But the best value at the moment would be for the 2xu tri series.  

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

If you were the major sponsor for busso, port, Taupo and cairns I think the over exposure would provide value.  

But the best value at the moment would be for the 2xu tri series.  

especially if you change your mind and don't follow through with payment

18 hours ago, Bored@work said:

They were faster than you? 

If that was a reason for hate, I'd hate a lot more people

9 hours ago, trifun said:

especially if you change your mind and don't follow through with payment

Huh?

13 hours ago, Peter said:

Huh?

After two successful events over three years, 2XU pulled their (title) sponsorship of our event a week before its 3rd occurrence (after 13 months of promotion of their brand) citing "changed our mind" as the reason.  They refused to take back/refund no-longer required or faulty merchandise or to accept back non-compliant stock. Then sued me personally for the remaining costs of goods supplied to the (incorporated) club (before dropping the case the day before trial) resulting debacle killed off a promising OD event that had been growing at 30% per year and left me with: significant financial stress ( a 20k+ bill - and rising), significant family stress, significant social stress. Their lawyers did not even honour the full terms of the withdrawal proposal.  But I'm just a little guy who had a dream (and put his life, soul and cash into it), but now has a bill,  who can't afford to pursue either them or their lawyers.

( A couple of trade jurno's wanted to run the story but needless to say their publications declined (others have much bigger advertising budgets than we did).

• Sad 3

Cleaning the wardrobe and found these two. A few sponsors there. IMOZ 2002 and Nepean 1999. 

FM

2C9CBE31-E0C5-4694-82CA-3A9058F695FB.jpeg

957CA21F-AB3F-4EBC-AD2A-5D585BAC9FD1.jpeg

Haha. The things the find cleaning the wardrobe. Just found a long sleeve wetsuit - XL. Still in the wrapper - Profile Design. Must be around 10 years old. 

FM

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

Nepean 1999. 

Triathlon WAS harder back in the day.

You had to do butterfly!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, trifun said:

After two successful events over three years, 2XU pulled their (title) sponsorship of our event a week before its 3rd occurrence (after 13 months of promotion of their brand) citing "changed our mind" as the reason.  They refused to take back/refund no-longer required or faulty merchandise or to accept back non-compliant stock. Then sued me personally for the remaining costs of goods supplied to the (incorporated) club (before dropping the case the day before trial) resulting debacle killed off a promising OD event that had been growing at 30% per year and left me with: significant financial stress ( a 20k+ bill - and rising), significant family stress, significant social stress. Their lawyers did not even honour the full terms of the withdrawal proposal.  But I'm just a little guy who had a dream (and put his life, soul and cash into it), but now has a bill,  who can't afford to pursue either them or their lawyers.

( A couple of trade jurno's wanted to run the story but needless to say their publications declined (others have much bigger advertising budgets than we did).

Won’t buy anymore of their gear 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trifun said:

You should have talked about this more. That’s so shit.  

I don’t personally like their kit and never have bought any.  

Never will now. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trifun said:

I’m the interests of others who might have the misfortune of dealing with them, feel free to identify relevant 2xu personnel at the time.

1 hour ago, trilobite said:

I’m the interests of others who might have the misfortune of dealing with them, feel free to identify relevant 2xu personnel at the time.

We had a great Qld rep in Simon Davies but he left without any warning ( an ex-proprietor 2XU branded store tells me this was not uncommon, also spilled the beans on how much money 2XU were making form us ie their profit margin on our mandated merch order  v their sponsorship cheque (when it came)).

I fantasize about if I win $10 m how I'd run an event with no sponsors and the best goody bags for a nominal entry fee (nominal v free so that people still felt they had to commit). Oh and kick-ass category and random draw prizes - imagine  "So who liked that lead sports car on the bike leg? Well, finisher #352 - you are taking it home!"

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Peter said:

You should have talked about this more. That’s so shit.  

I don’t personally like their kit and never have bought any.  

Never will now. 

totally agree on both points

16 hours ago, trifun said:

I fantasize about if I win $10 m how I'd run an event with no sponsors and the best goody bags for a nominal entry fee (nominal v free so that people still felt they had to commit). Oh and kick-ass category and random draw prizes - imagine  "So who liked that lead sports car on the bike leg? Well, finisher #352 - you are taking it home!"

this would be cool

Haha. Love that. 

Hey flanno. Remember St George series. 

This was from the Wyong Olympic distance. Late 90’s. Maybe 1997. 

45E858D4-08DB-42EA-B85B-B417932F2232.jpeg

14D26B51-B6D6-4C61-9F00-02344B3F8B18.jpeg

• Like 3

Is it or was it Jamie Hunt that started 2xu ? When he fell out and left Orca ?

i heard back in the day 😉 that 2xu stood for two times F$&@ you 😂

two times better than you 

anyway that’s shit what they did farrking hate hearing stuff like that .

1 hour ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Is it or was it Jamie Hunt that started 2xu ? When he fell out and left Orca ?

i heard back in the day 😉 that 2xu stood for two times F$&@ you 😂

two times better than you 

anyway that’s shit what they did farrking hate hearing stuff like that .

Similar stories abound over here about the wetsuit brand ‘FOOR’ and what it stands for. :lol:

OK I’ll say it. 

The sponsors get jack shit out of Ironman. People are no longer loyal & will buy what ever the latest trend is. People buy over the net & rather than the local bike shop.

Sponsors will troll #tags & Instagram followers. Then once they  find a “social media influencer” they will send them a heap of free stuff. This stuff cost companies sweet f-all to manufacture over seas and they get more exposure then a one day race in a small town /city. 

• Like 1

On 19/04/2019 at 7:06 PM, willie said:

So your plan didn't eventuate?

11 hours ago, Bored@work said:

OK I’ll say it. 

The sponsors get jack shit out of Ironman. People are no longer loyal & will buy what ever the latest trend is. People buy over the net & rather than the local bike shop.

Sponsors will troll #tags & Instagram followers. Then once they  find a “social media influencer” they will send them a heap of free stuff. This stuff cost companies sweet f-all to manufacture over seas and they get more exposure then a one day race in a small town /city. 

I use this. I am extremely loyal to things I am passionate about ie: Ironman. (I will only do Ironman races and Nepean).

In regards to sponsors products and advertising... they don't resonate with me. The classic example for me is.....Coke ads are poor.... Pepsi ads are heaps better....but I will never drink Pepsi. But will definitely drink coke. So for me there advertising does not work.

Plus.... I find it pointless to sponsor athletes....as I can tell you now...I won't use what they are pushing..... I determine what I like and don't like. Though I am the minority as there are lot of people buying anything that the Kardashians wear/advertise once.

2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Plus.... I find it pointless to sponsor athletes....as I can tell you now...I won't use what they are pushing..... I determine what I like and don't like. Though I am the minority as there are lot of people buying anything that the Kardashians wear/advertise once.

To be honest, I wouldn't have a clue who sponsors who in the Pro ranks these days.  But I can remember some sponsorship deals that have gone really bad (for the athlete and the pro) over the last 10 years or so.  Hammer and Keat, Crowie and his bike etc.  You'd have to think the sponsors are more worried about protecting their brands and find the sport too big a risk

On 21/04/2019 at 8:31 PM, trifun said:

We had a great Qld rep in Simon Davies but he left without any warning ( an ex-proprietor 2XU branded store tells me this was not uncommon, also spilled the beans on how much money 2XU were making form us ie their profit margin on our mandated merch order  v their sponsorship cheque (when it came)).

Are you (or anyone else here) able to give some insight on what the numbers for running an event like IM Port or IM Cairns look like (eg the cash from entries is easy enough to reverse engineer, but I have no idea what insurance, set-up, council costs are and what sponsorship revenue might be)?

15 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I use this. I am extremely loyal to things I am passionate about ie: Ironman. (I will only do Ironman races and Nepean).

In regards to sponsors products and advertising... they don't resonate with me. The classic example for me is.....Coke ads are poor.... Pepsi ads are heaps better....but I will never drink Pepsi. But will definitely drink coke. So for me there advertising does not work.

Other than Nepean you only race Ironman and you only drink Coke.  I would say you are extremely susceptible to advertising, which is so effective you don't even realise it.

On 21/04/2019 at 2:27 PM, Flanman said:

Haha. The things the find cleaning the wardrobe. Just found a long sleeve wetsuit - XL. Still in the wrapper - Profile Design. Must be around 10 years old. 

FM

Bring it up to Port. Scott might give it a try 😁

6 hours ago, trilobite said:

Are you (or anyone else here) able to give some insight on what the numbers for running an event like IM Port or IM Cairns look like (eg the cash from entries is easy enough to reverse engineer, but I have no idea what insurance, set-up, council costs are and what sponsorship revenue might be)?

We ran an "festival (OD event for 400 ind and 100 teams, kids races for about another 150, a fun run & a crit) on a shoestring budget of about 200k

Edited by trifun

4 hours ago, trifun said:

We ran an "festival (OD event for 400 ind and 100 teams, kids races for about another 150, a fun run & a crit) on a shoestring budget of about 200k

Apologies if I’m proving the “no stupid questions, only stupid people” adage...

By $200k budget, am I right in understanding you mean you that $200k in entry fees and sponsorship was needed for the organiser(s) to break even?

And do you get economies of scale (eg if you had double the entrants, would the cost be something less than $400k)?

What are the main components of the $200k (eg road closure costs, insurance, etc)?

Edited by trilobite

10 minutes ago, trilobite said:

Apologies if I’m proving the “no stupid questions, only stupid people” adage...

By $200k budget, am I right in understanding you mean you that $200k in entry fees and sponsorship was needed for the organiser(s) to break even?

And do you get economies of scale (eg if you had double the entrants, would the cost be something less than $400k)?

What are the main components of the $200k (eg road closure costs, insurance, etc)?

I was organising events before most of the regulations & insurance etc came in, and with just a couple police, the permits, some donations to a couple volunteer groups, and the general items needed to put on the race, we made about $2/hour for our time. 

You certainly wouldn't have done it if you didn't love the sport.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

From my interviews with IM AP CEO Geoff Meyer a few years back 

GM: ....... The events are expensive to run and I’m happy to tell you that our two biggest events, expense wise, just so your readers understand Melbourne Ironman and Noosa have a 3.5million dollar budget to run each of those events.

Roxii: Entry fees don’t cover that do they?

GM: Exactly, and that’s where I want our customers to work it out, entry fees only cover about 2 million of that. Then you have to look at sponsorship and that’s why we got government on board as partners. I’ll tell you one thing closing the roads for Ironman Melbourne was 1.1 million dollars. So the whole thing about us making a motza, is just not true.

23 minutes ago, roxii said:

From my interviews with IM AP CEO Geoff Meyer a few years back 

GM: ....... The events are expensive to run and I’m happy to tell you that our two biggest events, expense wise, just so your readers understand Melbourne Ironman and Noosa have a 3.5million dollar budget to run each of those events.

Roxii: Entry fees don’t cover that do they?

GM: Exactly, and that’s where I want our customers to work it out, entry fees only cover about 2 million of that. Then you have to look at sponsorship and that’s why we got government on board as partners. I’ll tell you one thing closing the roads for Ironman Melbourne was 1.1 million dollars. So the whole thing about us making a motza, is just not true.

This is the same man who advised me in writing that IM Asia Pac’s systems would not facilitate carrying over a Noosa entry to the following year...

I hope that at least his response to me was true.

Edited by trilobite

Yeah that interview was when he gave me the scoop on the entry transfer system being introduced. Unfortunately it is an accounting thing where IMHQ wouldn’t let entries be carried across a  (US} financial year. 

3 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yeah that interview was when he gave me the scoop on the entry transfer system being introduced. Unfortunately it is an accounting thing where IMHQ wouldn’t let entries be carried across a  (US} financial year. 

When I have raised it previously, others suggested that was a weak excuse (at best). 

Particularly when it doesn’t seem to have been an impediment for entry transfers for some other posters on here.

I’ll leave you to judge the reasonableness of his offer to transfer the credit to a Ballarat 70.3 entry (ie within a few months of surgery) after having explained the request was due to a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus requiring reconstructive surgery.

Incidentally, I had quoted his interview comments regarding regarding loyal customers when I contacted him.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not defending it, just reiterating the reasoning for it. 

As I say I don’t think it was Geoff’s decision but came from on high. 

Prior to that there was no transfer available at all so to that end it was a great Improvement 

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Other than Nepean you only race Ironman and you only drink Coke.  I would say you are extremely susceptible to advertising, which is so effective you don't even realise it.

I Disagree: my first race in 89 was Nepean..... and I have done it every year since. Mostly due to the fact it was my first...and the race philosophy in that profits go to the local community. As far as supporting Ironman...... for 30 years they have provided my a lifestyle. and its something I want to do for a long time..... therefore.... I race less....and in doing so am putting my eggs in one basket. Good thing I did....not many Challenge races around.

4 minutes ago, roxii said:

Prior to that there was no transfer available at all so to that end it was a great Improvement 

I asked the question to Baggsy years ago...... he actually broke down the numbers etc...Towels, t-shirts etc etc... He said entries cover about 50% of costs

3 minutes ago, roxii said:

No doubt the reason I’m not ready to let it go lies somewhere between the customer experience being shit (particularly in light of the expectation Geoff set in his interview and reasonable expectations of what systems an organisation valued at $650m has) and me being a dick.

• Haha 1