Peter

There are no hacks. Not even diet

17 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So Cranky had it right the whole time?

Cranky is a different beast. She probably does too much sometimes. We're reining it in a little and she's definitely improving. She dislikes Mona fartleks though :P

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, willie said:

Cranky is a different beast. She probably does too much sometimes. We're reining it in a little and she's definitely improving. She dislikes Mona fartleks though :P

I love the Mona fartleks!  Maybe I'm not doing them right.....

50 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

If you're doing it properly it's just pain for 20mins 

2 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

I do them on a treadmill, I dread them! I feel like I'm drowning. I guess there's lots of variations? My coach's Mona is:

WU

15s/15s (15seconds on 15 recovery)

30/30

45/45

60/60

90/90

60/60

45/45

30/30

15/15

that's the short one, the longer one is back up again and stop at 90/90. 

18 minutes ago, zed said:

I do them on a treadmill, I dread them! I feel like I'm drowning. I guess there's lots of variations? My coach's Mona is:

WU

30/30

45/45

60/60

90/90

60/60

45/45

30/30

15/15

I do them in the dam, but do breaths instead of seconds (breath every third stroke) and use 10, 20, 30, 40, 30, 20, 10. It's a good way to break up an O/W swim, and considering I don't swim in a pool any more, it gets me some hurt that I've been missing from the old pool sessions.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I do them in the dam, but do breaths instead of seconds (breath every third stroke) and use 10, 20, 30, 40, 30, 20, 10. It's a good way to break up an O/W swim, and considering I don't swim in a pool any more, it gets me some hurt that I've been missing from the old pool sessions.

Thats a great idea

NSF

27 minutes ago, zed said:

WU

30/30

45/45

60/60

90/90

60/60

45/45

30/30

15/15

I do them twice: so WU 10 minutes, then: 2 x 15/15, 2x 30/30 etc

I think I like them for the psychological reason.  Once the 2x90/90 are done, it's downhill - relatively speaking from there.

My husband does martial arts and the other day they were doing a strength and conditioning session.  They started at 20 burpees, 10 second rest, 19 burpees, 10 seconds rest.  All the way down to 1.  He said it was tough but the whole class managed it.  The teacher said they'd tried it the other way: ie starting at 1 and building.  They started dropping out at 10: only a quarter got to 15 and one to 20.   No difference between the overall fitness between the 2 classes.  Just in the way they approached it.

6 hours ago, willie said:

Is that Jan taking the piss outta himself? 

More like having a shot at Sanders?

or Taren :lol:

On 12/04/2019 at 10:58 AM, willie said:

This place is monumentally confusing. On one thread you will never KQ or get any thing done if you don't do 15 hours per week. 

On this thread some one who did less than 15 hours per week and KQ needs to be reined in

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

This place is monumentally confusing

Yes this is Transitions 🙄

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

This place is monumentally confusing. On one thread you will never KQ or get any thing done if you don't do 15 hours per week. 

On this thread some one who did less than 15 hours per week and KQ needs to be reined in

I’m even more confused 

are you a hack if you do 15 hrs or a hack if you don’t 

1 minute ago, ironpo said:

I’m even more confused 

are you a hack if you do 15 hrs or a hack if you don’t 

You should be confused. Your problem is you do too much training and don't keep up with modern terms. By "hack" here, they mean shortcut. They're not referring to the person. :)

13 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You should be confused. Your problem is you do too much training and don't keep up with modern terms. By "hack" here, they mean shortcut. They're not referring to the person. :)

Ooooo

correct I’m not good at short cuts or modern terminology and or tech 😮

Great to have you back posting (more often) Ironpo. I get a lot of inspiration and advice from these discussions from everyone and especially like the different perspectives. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Great to have you back posting (more often) Ironpo. I get a lot of inspiration and advice from these discussions from everyone and especially like the different perspectives. 

Well he has just finished the 2017 ultraman run leg.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Because I'm still training, at times, like I'm training for IM. I'm having trouble getting a hold of this short distance stuff. (Plus long and slow is sooooooo much easier than what Willie makes me do!) 

18 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Because I'm still training, at times, like I'm training for IM. I'm having trouble getting a hold of this short distance stuff. (Plus long and slow is sooooooo much easier than what Willie makes me do!) 

I was exactly the other way around. I loved the fast hard stuff. So much so that when I ended up training for IM, I never did a training run over 17km, and did nearly every one under 4min/km pace. I really don't know how you can prefer that LSD stuff. It's so boring. :)

15 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Is that because the 15 hour rule depends on how “deep the talent pool” (to use a diplomatic phrase) in the relevant AG is?

12 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I was exactly the other way around. I loved the fast hard stuff. So much so that when I ended up training for IM, I never did a training run over 17km, and did nearly every one under 4min/km pace. I really don't know how you can prefer that LSD stuff. It's so boring. :)

Because LSD doesn't hurt, or make you want to spew! 🤮

21 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Because LSD doesn't hurt, or make you want to spew! 🤮

But it's so god damn boring. 

What's wrong with getting to the end of a 400m TT and tasting acid in the back of your throat as your coach recognises the look on your face and quickly jumps to stand behind the next lane. :)

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

..... as your coach recognises the look on your face and quickly jumps to stand behind the next lane. :)

I don't get that bit. What do you mean?

8 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I don't get that bit. What do you mean?

To avoid being vomited on.