Sign in to follow this  
pieman

Worn rims

Have some play in rear wheel and LBS have indicated that the rims themselves are very worn and wheels should be replaced...

The 'wear indicators' are not visible on the rear and barely there on the front. Are they seriously toast or are these more of a guideline...?

Fulcrums 5's that have not been maintained or cleaned much and have been ridden in the rain a bit as well..

The last thing I want is for one of them to let go when I am doing my Cootha repeats in the dark and wet...

bin em or turn them into trainer wheels... Those guides are definitely there for a reason! I nearly killed myself when the brake surface broke through years ago. Metal had worn so thing that when I went for the death grip it locked up my front wheel and I went over the bars.

Pretty sure Ex or one of the other older guys here did the same as well

18 minutes ago, willie said:

bin em or turn them into trainer wheels... Those guides are definitely there for a reason! I nearly killed myself when the brake surface broke through years ago. Metal had worn so thing that when I went for the death grip it locked up my front wheel and I went over the bars.

Pretty sure Ex or one of the other older guys here did the same as well

Mine did the same, but I was lucky that the metal peeled away in the right direction, so it just rubbed on the brake pad as it went under it rather than the peeled end jamming into the pad..

What if there is no wear indicator, I'm rolling on a pair of carbon clinchers & the braking surface has bowed in a fair bit.

thats the thing i am checking tonight, apparently if you place a flat ruler across the edge of surface and its concave then it is also time to spend some cash...

#newbiketime

#cantafforditrightnow

#cervelo

#simplyfaster

#runwith

#zippwheels

#speedweaponary

sorry about hashtags but I just saw Cranky is using lots so figured it is the way to do it...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, pieman said:

thats the thing i am checking tonight, apparently if you place a flat ruler across the edge of surface and its concave then it is also time to spend some cash...

A crude method is inflate to 150 psi, if the blow apart then there we stuffed, if the don't fail then okay.

#diskbrakesrule

Interesting comments. Making me look at the fulcrum wheels on my roadie a bit closer. The shit roads the Saturday morning group ride on makes me think it might be time for an update of wheels. Last thing I want to have is a wheel failure and bring down 20 odd riders.

Like a lot of things cycling, probably pays to be conservative.  If rim wear indicators gone take notice.

As to second line checks and approaches, if feeling chancy

Check concavity using a metal straight edge metal ruler. But any rim with some degree of wear will usually have some concavity.

Use dental calipers (below) and measure wall thickness  all the way around in small steps.

Dont brake  on that rim.

61pzYl18eeL._SX425_.jpg

We all have or have heard of stories of catastrophic failures and consequences.

I have one rim on an old (ancient actually)  trispoke front at 0.8mm thickness. Borderline. I barely brake on it and am looking for  a replacement. I bought calipers to measure.