Turts

No more Scody - new supplier

http://www.triathlon.org.au/About/Latest_News/Triathlon_Australia_announce_major__Project__apparel_deal.htm

Sonthus went out for eoi a while ago I think. 

Hopefully it doesnt mean everyone will have to buy a new suit for worlds, since when scody was the supplier , you could wear one from the previous year. 

Also laughed that a selling point was everyone gets a free polo, and 15%of training gear. 

Scody gave us a "free" polo too, and membership vouchers. 

But good to See a change, to what must have been a better tender. 

There were a lot of issues and complaintes with the kit last year. 

I had a Project cycling kit few years ago, didnt rate it.

Interesting. I'd hate to have to wear their stuff. Someone gifted me some kit recently. 

You'll definitely need to.buy a new suit. 

Just now, willie said:

Interesting. I'd hate to have to wear their stuff. Someone gifted me some kit recently. 

You'll definitely need to.buy a new suit. 

Don't feel sorry for me though. I regifted to my brother and bought something else 😮

• Haha 1

This is the bit I find offensive:

The new partnership will give Australia’s world class elite and age group triathletes all the benefits of cutting-edge technology as they prepare for major championship races. 

Why is there a continued implication from our governing bodies that those who choose not to race as professionals are "inferior" given that "elite" is defined as:  " A select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society. " This coupled with a continued push from the ITU etc to run a made for TV sport distinct from the sport of triathlon as we (old timers) know it and was the foundation of our State Governing bodies who together make up Tri Aust who were (some would say) one of the foundations without which the ITU would have taken much longer to achieve the Olympic recognition they so covet.

Personally I wish Project CEO Graeme Clark all the best with the venture (especially as he departed 2XU the year before they reneged on their sponsorship commitments the "My" event then sued me personally before dropping the case the evening before it went to trial (in Melb Mag's Crt, which  given the event & their rep & I were/are all in Qld was a bit rich). So All up just relieved TA did not go back to them as I was thinking of the xTri worlds in Townsville but would not have been allowed to wear "that" brand (PS - if 2XU are reading want to settle up, 20k would go a long way to soothing my feelings + cumulative interest at 18%)

I'm going to bed now, I'm old and I need to cycle in the morning (in my Scody ITU kit I'm thinking).

Edited by trifun
sleepy

Slightly off topic, but I hated the Scody vouchers. The only time the vouchers would be useful was when buying kit for ITU worlds, but you were not allowed to use the vouchers for these purchases.

Other than the Australian kit, the only other time I has purchased a Scody item (sleeved tri-suit, back when Scody were one of the few who sold them), Wiggle advertised it cheaper than what I would have paid with the vouchers.

16 hours ago, Turts said:

Hopefully it doesnt mean everyone will have to buy a new suit for worlds, since when scody was the supplier , you could wear one from the previous year. 

From here

https://www.triathlon.org/news/article/change_in_the_age_group_uniform_rule

The last sentence “all athletes from the same NF… will wear the same design” meant that all athletes were obliged to buy a new uniform every time the NF changed the design or the supplier.

By deleting the last sentence in the rule, from now on athletes from the same National Federation may be allowed to wear different uniforms, always within the uniform(s) the NF previously got approved. National Federations may still choose to keep one uniform design approved at one time at their discretion.

So in theory, should be able to keep wearing the Scody kit.

Now If I could just find a reference to Long Distance and sleeved suits. From Tri Australia rules, for local and national events, they are approved and recommended, but ITU always fell back on the 'but FINA doesn't allow them, so why should we', but one doc I saw said that sleeves are allowed in certain circumstances, but did not extrapolate on these.

3 hours ago, MissJess said:

I found this on the ITU site 
https://www.triathlon.org/uploads/docs/Age_Groups_uniforms_updated_on_15_02_20194.pdf

Does this mean Australia has approval for a sleeved suit? If so, that is what I will get. 

The last couple of years I've been involved the short sleeved suits were only allowed for the long course athletes. 

Yet for Rotterdam and Denmark, we were allowed to wear a short sleeved top under our tri suit.  Looked bad.   Rotterdam was cold (bloody freezing).  Denmark wasn't.  

4 hours ago, Rob said:

Slightly off topic, but I hated the Scody vouchers.

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. Those vouchers were worth $0. 

4 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

From here

https://www.triathlon.org/news/article/change_in_the_age_group_uniform_rule

So in theory, should be able to keep wearing the Scody kit.

Now If I could just find a reference to Long Distance and sleeved suits. From Tri Australia rules, for local and national events, they are approved and recommended, but ITU always fell back on the 'but FINA doesn't allow them, so why should we', but one doc I saw said that sleeves are allowed in certain circumstances, but did not extrapolate on these.

They can just change the rule again?   It would have been a good selling point for the new supplier that everyone would have to buy their kit in the first year.  They won't want most running around in Scody kit with a new official sponsor/supplier. 

However, this is bugger than TA.  By saying we can wear anything that was a previously approved design, that frees it up immensely. 

Prior, I think you could wear one form the previous year but thats it?  

Just now, dazmuzza said:

same. I never used a single one. 

4 minutes ago, Turts said:

However, this is bugger than TA.  By saying we can wear anything that was a previously approved design, that frees it up immensely. 

I think what they're saying is you can only wear approved designs.

So if they feel the need they pull sponsorship or approval for all other suit designs and just go with the one they want. 

Personally I think it makes sense to keep everyone in the same kit, with the same design and colours. 

5 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I didn't  think much of them either.  Went into the store and wanted to use the voucher to buy some arm warmers, but they told me I could only use the voucher if I ordered them online which meant $12.00 postage.....

12 minutes ago, willie said:

Personally I think it makes sense to keep everyone in the same kit, with the same design and colours. 

I agree. 

Just less nice to have to outlay again. But, thems the rules you play by if you chose to play. 

50 minutes ago, Turts said:

I agree. 

Just less nice to have to outlay again. But, thems the rules you pay by if you chose to pay. 

fixed that 4 ya :)

• Haha 2

One year Scody did the voucher as a 1 x $100 rather than the 4 x $25 crap. We were moving away from Champ Sys at that point anyway, so we went to Scody.

But Prism offered to help us redesign the suit so it did not look like something out of the 90's, very happy with Prism :)