Slickric

Di2 lever removal ST-9071

im a bit stuck here and cannot for the life of me find anything on forums or YouTube (which leads me to believe it’s something easy that I’m missing)

Anyone able to help me out with how to remove the brake cable from a ST-9071 lever? I can’t see how to remove the cable hook on the inside 😕

0C339BA5-CF89-4072-99F9-C4894F4FED59.jpeg

Do you have to pull it all the way out from the lever? Older cables used to be able to lift out of the lever, but some of the new ones have to thread through all the way.

Won’t be able to pull it through because of the outer casing. Need to push it back through as the 5mm Allen key to unscrew goes straight through where the brake cable comes out 

The outer shouldn’t be that far through should it. 

Need to push the outer back, pull the inner out then remove the lever. 

then when reinstalling put a ferrule on the end of the outer to stop it pulling through again.

haning the outer pull through like that will also compromise your braking. 

There isn’t any outer visible in the picture. I pulled the inner cable through just over an inch to see if the cable hook could be turned perhaps but looks like a solid piece.   Install instructions from Shimano have it just passing through but no detail on how the ferrule is attached

A8965E65-D4DE-44D4-BCC7-8215A80D5FE5.jpeg

Sorry mate it’s a bit unclear. What do you mean by “cable hook”?

the cable inner should just pull out. 

Are you just getting drag from where the cable has been kinked where it is routed or pinched at the brake lever? 

This can make it a bit more difficult to remove but should still pull through 

I might be overthinking it. Cable hook was just the terminology from the Shimano guide for the ferrule. I was thinking/assuming I wouldn’t have to remove the whole brake cable to be able to remove the level. Bit of a fiddle for the front brake but quite a pain for the rear 😕