AA7

National Titles Prizes

Picked up another couple of water bottles and swimming caps for national title wins over the weekend (not so humble brag ūü§®).

I wrote them an email after Mooloolaba. They said they didn't give medals as they sometimes get 'lost' when you're also getting an event medal. And the water bottle and swim cap are practical items for triathletes. True, which is why we all already have hundreds of them. 

Anyway, I think they have received quite a bit of feedback on it, and the words to a friend after he made a comment to TA rep on Saturday were 'don't worry, we'll never do this again.' 

Strange how Triathlon Queensland don't have a fear of the State Title medal getting "lost" ūü§Ē.¬† Also it was really weird seeing the official 3rd place medalists receiving a medal, then as she was not a member of TA, the 4th place person jumping up and getting exactly the same medal.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Strange how Triathlon Queensland don't have a fear of the State Title medal getting "lost" ūü§Ē.¬† Also it was really weird seeing the official 3rd place medalists receiving a medal, then as she was not a member of TA, the 4th place person jumping up and getting exactly the same medal.

Wtf

Not sure what they do these days, but years back they used to have a professional engraver at the event, and when you got your medal it was already engraved with your division & name.

33 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Not sure what they do these days, but years back they used to have a professional engraver at the event, and when you got your medal it was already engraved with your division & name.

Nope, none of that. The event medal didnt even have age group/ gender on it.

Edited by AA7

Because they get reused if they do not get collected. 

I've been to a number of events (usually Elite Energy) where the category winners don't bother picking up their medals. Maybe because by the time the presentation is on they are long gone (like Big Husky Saturday where the presentation has taken place the last couple of years at 6pm when your race might have finished at 10am).

I've run events (the Hills Duathlons) where the same thing happens. We moved to a generic model where the medals that were not collected were then set aside for the next race. The only thing we bother to change is the ribbon with the year.

1 hour ago, MissJess said:

Because they get reused if they do not get collected. 

I've been to a number of events (usually Elite Energy) where the category winners don't bother picking up their medals. Maybe because by the time the presentation is on they are long gone (like Big Husky Saturday where the presentation has taken place the last couple of years at 6pm when your race might have finished at 10am).

I've run events (the Hills Duathlons) where the same thing happens. We moved to a generic model where the medals that were not collected were then set aside for the next race. The only thing we bother to change is the ribbon with the year.

All of which is fair enough for any old event, but a national championship medal should have details of the race, year, category etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, -H- said:

All of which is fair enough for any old event, but a national championship medal should have details of the race, year, category etc. 

yep, plus the event medal had the year on it, so wont be able to be reused.

5 hours ago, AA7 said:

Nope, none of that. The event medal didnt even have age group/ gender on it.

Typical lefty greens push to a gender-less society, they started with gender-less birth certificates and now moved on to triathlon medals. 

Get Pauline and Cory Bernardi on to it , they'll sort out that lefty TA mob 

Edited by Mike Del
  • Haha 1

They can keep it all. If you finish on the podium, a decent event cycling jersey makes me happy. It's something you can use and takes up bugger all space and you can never have enough of them. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, softy said:

They can keep it all. If you finish on the podium, a decent event cycling jersey makes me happy. It's something you can use and takes up bugger all space and you can never have enough of them. 

Tubes, chain lube, bar tape are excellent prizes too. I did a race years (& years) ago in Mudgee NSW, they gave local produce as prizes eg honey & wine plus some $$. Brilliant idea.

Imagine Federer winning Wimbledon and his prize was a Yonex racquet and some Slazenger balls.... when his sponsor is Wilson. Straight to the trophy room for them. Not!

Edited by IronmanFoz

Townsville Tri this weekend, where they also had the national duathlon champs. You'll never guess the prizes they gave....yep, water bottle and swim cap. Seems strange to award a swim cap for a duathlon ūü§¶

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Townsville Tri this weekend, where they also had the national duathlon champs. You'll never guess the prizes they gave....yep, water bottle and swim cap. Seems strange to award a swim cap for a duathlon ūü§¶

It seems a lot of Duathlons being held sometimes do have a swim leg, just not lately.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, AA7 said:

And Congrats on the win!

5 hours ago, BogFrog said:

And Congrats on the win!

Thank you. I much preferred my prize for winning my AG in the tri, $300 ūüėÄ

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AA7 said:

It'd be better just to old school it and shake someones hand and say well done.  as we all know in our sport, anthing is possible.  at least we get laughs.

17 hours ago, AA7 said:

You really expected to receive a 'prize' because you won an age group national championship? Why?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coach@triathlon said:

You really expected to receive a 'prize' because you won an age group national championship? Why?

A medal for winning is fair.  

A car would be too much.  

A swim cap is embarrassing for the organizers.   Mind you, it seems they don’t care. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach@triathlon said:

As Peter said, a medal for a National Championship would be nice. Why even have the championship if it doesn't mean anything?

And as for a swim cap for a Duathlon. That really is a bit silly.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

As Peter said, a medal for a National Championship would be nice. Why even have the championship if it doesn't mean anything?

Not to shit on anyone but does it really mean that much. I didn't even know it was on. Three people I just had lunch with all from the sport didn't know either 

1 minute ago, willie said:

Not to shit on anyone but does it really mean that much. I didn't even know it was on. Three people I just had lunch with all from the sport didn't know either 

Just because you don’t know doesn’t mean the people that are trying to become a national champion don’t think its special   

And this is from me who will never be a national champion.  

6 hours ago, Coach@triathlon said:

The 'prize' was instead of a medal.

And yeh, these titles are a bit meaningless, but it would be nice to see a bit more thought go into the awards. I'm pretty sure triathletes are right for water bottles and swim caps. 

Were they your idea Mick?

On 08/04/2019 at 9:25 AM, AA7 said:

Anyway, I think they have received quite a bit of feedback on it, and the words to a friend after he made a comment to TA rep on Saturday were 'don't worry, we'll never do this again.' 

out of curiosity, who was the TA person that said "dont worry, we'll never do this again" back in April ?

as for prizes should be a ribbon or sash or medal or certificate, think thats fair enough and anything extra like free race entries, shoes, shirts, grog, money should just be an optional extra - please note i left out water bottles and swim caps.

Though when you think about it, the swim cap makes sense in the duathlon as you didnt get one because there was no swim. very thoughtful if you ever swim and dont have a cap.

one of the guys in the football team i coach turned 19 the other day, the team chipped in and got him an avocado.  he appreciated the thought and its often the thought that matters.  lol.   

23 minutes ago, AA7 said:

The 'prize' was instead of a medal.

And yeh, these titles are a bit meaningless, but it would be nice to see a bit more thought go into the awards. I'm pretty sure triathletes are right for water bottles and swim caps. 

Were they your idea Mick?

I didn't realise that the prize was in lieu of a medal. That is a different thing altogether and get while you were filthy. Nothing to do with me. Apologies for my assumption and tone. 

11 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

out of curiosity, who was the TA person that said "dont worry, we'll never do this again" back in April ?

as for prizes should be a ribbon or sash or medal or certificate, think thats fair enough and anything extra like free race entries, shoes, shirts, grog, money should just be an optional extra - please note i left out water bottles and swim caps.

Though when you think about it, the swim cap makes sense in the duathlon as you didnt get one because there was no swim. very thoughtful if you ever swim and dont have a cap.

one of the guys in the football team i coach turned 19 the other day, the team chipped in and got him an avocado.  he appreciated the thought and its often the thought that matters.  lol.   

No idea, one the female TA staff at presentations. 

I obviously don't do this sport for prizes or medals, never have and never will. Makes me wonder why I have an issue with it.....

It just seems that they haven't really put much thought into it. Dunno, hard to put into words.

I think the issue you have with it would be stemming from what you feel TA's attitude towards its participants/competitors must be if they can't front up at least a meal or ribbon for a national championship.  My nephew played in a tennis tournament this weekend.  3rd place got a little trophy, in every age group single and doubles.  My daughter got a trophy from her broke ass netball club when she was 11 for most improved.  

11 hours ago, AA7 said:

No idea, one the female TA staff at presentations. 

I obviously don't do this sport for prizes or medals, never have and never will. Makes me wonder why I have an issue with it.....

It just seems that they haven't really put much thought into it. Dunno, hard to put into words.

Lol.

Imagine getting an Avocado.... next level.

On a very serious note, there should be something, it is after all a national championship.  Don’t  have national championships if we don’t want to celebrate our sport and it’s people.