more

Challenge Melbourne 2019

3 minutes ago, Lost in transition said:

Wow - I’m still amazed at the AG times. So many fast bike times now knocking on the Pro’s splits. followed up by high 1.18 - 1.23ish runs

Bloody impressive people. 

Yep ppl are getting faster. In a previous thread I highlighted the differnece in KQ times & how a time 10 years ago would be lucky to break the top 10 & I used hard courses to prove my poinnt.

On a like for like course you would be lucky to crack top 40. 

Training Peaks, power meters & coaches using a scientific approach must be working.

Great day weatherwise and everyone seemed in good spirits.  The day was about consistent pacing through the bike and the run, and happy with the outcome.

Swim - Starting in the 2nd last wave, is always a challenge having to navigate around the slower portions of previous age groups and it ceases to amaze me that people can zig zag the amount they do.  Ended with a swim time of 31:53 when it would normally be 29-29 so I think the course was a little long.

Bike - I recently have worn my roadie shoes on the ride due to the comfort factor, however the wire tightener came off its guide and I couldn't tighten the shoe. After a couple of mins trying I gave up and rode with a loose shoe.  Settling into a rhythm was fairly easy albeit not quite sure what power to ride at.  In the last 3 weeks the PM (stages) has calibrated differently to what it has for the last 12 months (normally 851, the closest I could get was 843) this meant the power number was displaying higher than expected.  I know last year I rode just shy of 38kmh and this year was the same target, so just used a combination of speed and hr to settle on a wattage.  Lap 1 was pretty uneventful, lap 2 was mentally a little tougher with a few extra riders in the sprint causing a some challenges in that they would ride hard, pass then sit up, and I'd have to go back around.  Lap 3 fairly boring, with very few riders let in sight (top riders in the earlier age groups were well up the road and I had passed the back markers.  My Garmin watch also froze on me from a display perspective, it was beeping away on the bike, however the display wasn't showing any splits, hr, power etc......   Having tried a few times to reset it, I couldn't even power it down.  This was going to make the run interesting without any splits or pacing to look at.  2:19:43 - My first sub 2:20 with last year at 2:22.

Run

Eased out of transition and just worked on finding a nice cadence.  The run for me is always me weakest leg, and today I had set my mind at trying to go 1:40 and not stop along the way (aid stations / toilets).  Today without the benefit of the pace, as people started to pass me I would ask them what pace they were running and try and correlate that to what I was doing.  At the end of the 1st lap I asked someone the time of the day, so I could work out how long I had to make it home on my target.  Quick calculation saw that I was pretty much on track.  Focused on keeping a good cadence  and body position, and then at the far turnaround  tried to pick up the pace a little.  Finished well, happy with my efforts and crossed the line with a time of 4:37:07 a couple of minutes under my pb (4:40). 

Unfortunately I had a guy pass me at St Kilda baths who must have been in my age group (his race number was not in the same range) and he took the final podium position from me by 20sec, disappointing but realistically I probably couldn't have gone with him anyway. 

Great day out in the sunshine and some good racing all round.  Now to recover and get ready for Port Mac.

Stephen

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Blobby said:

Great day weatherwise and everyone seemed in good spirits.  The day was about consistent pacing through the bike and the run, and happy with the outcome.

Great work Blobby

NSF

On 14/04/2019 at 3:42 PM, more said:

The ride was awesome, roads like glass and not much really in the way of hills.

Are you dissing the Brighton Alps?

On 14/04/2019 at 4:20 PM, ironpo said:

not very often u see danger get chicked , nice work by her whoever she is 

My mate James was the last bloke not to get chicked, he went 4.02 on debut and won his age group. 

Perfect weather in the end, always risky at this time of year but they jagged a good one.  

• Like 1

On 10/04/2019 at 11:41 AM, truck said:

I think so but, for example, includes Coot-Tha which is open all the time anyway. 

Yep, all fully closed. Story bridge, Riverside expressway, Coro Dve, Legacy Way tunnel each way, Cootha, busway to Rochedale both ways. It was excellent. Worth the dollars for me.

(Sorry to stray off topic)