Notsofast

IM Port - Pro Start List

6 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Has the sport in Australia really grown? Ironman races no longer sell out & clubs seem to have been replaced by training squads.

It has certainly grown from the days we were talking about where there was better prize-money. In those days there were 400-500 turn up to the only IM in Aus, and if a race got 400 starters it was a big one. It may have fallen away a little in the last 10 years, but has certainly grown since the 90's.

12 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It has certainly grown from the days we were talking about where there was better prize-money. In those days there were 400-500 turn up to the only IM in Aus, and if a race got 400 starters it was a big one. It may have fallen away a little in the last 10 years, but has certainly grown since the 90's.

Yep but the population has also grow in that time. 

I have noticed the number of ppl doing park run has exploded in the last 12/18 months. 

I have noticed the number of ppl doing park run has exploded in the last 12/18 months. 

That's right, most people can go out and do a park run without doing any training between them. The population may have grown since the 90s, but it hasn't grown in the area of fitness fanatics, it's grown in the area of people who would like to look fit but want to achieve it in the easiest way 😪 just look how many are riding bikes now days (it's a lot easier than running)

2 minutes ago, AP said:

That's right, most people can go out and do a park run without doing any training between them. The population may have grown since the 90s, but it hasn't grown in the area of fitness fanatics, it's grown in the area of people who would like to look fit but want to achieve it in the easiest way 😪 just look how many are riding bikes now days (it's a lot easier than running)

Riding bikes is a lot easier on the body. Racing bikes is another story.

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Riding bikes is a lot easier on the body. Racing bikes is another story.

I reckon 90% of the bikes rolling around between coffee shops in our cities would never enter a race of any sort

I have ridden so hard in a bike race my nose bled - I've never gone that hard in a triathlon 🙄

• Like 1

On 05/04/2019 at 3:08 PM, Peter said:

39659F25-B11C-42D8-81D4-15D4C90307C4.png

31CACF6F-4369-465D-9ECA-6C1CB28B59F3.png

EF15AE37-C10F-4C59-B47E-8C7484FBBC7F.png

Thanks, I had no idea as I don't subscribe to Foxtel. I did just subscribe to Kayo and noticed a heap of Triathlon available.

Cheers

NSF

2 hours ago, AP said:

I reckon 90% of the bikes rolling around between coffee shops in our cities would never enter a race of any sort

I have ridden so hard in a bike race my nose bled - I've never gone that hard in a triathlon 🙄

I'm finiding a new level of pain bike racing & rolling in the Saturday bunch. Then there is the trick of trying to not look like your hurting.

20 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I'm finiding a new level of pain bike racing & rolling in the Saturday bunch. Then there is the trick of trying to not look like your hurting.

I remember doing that one day when I was riding with (blatant name drop) Matt White, he was on a long training ride and I was out with a few mates but was by myself at the time and ended up sitting beside him for a while. 

I was trying to chat and look all cool, but my Polar HRM was beeping its nuts off and I was fumbling trying to turn the alert off.  :lol: 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Then there is the trick of trying to not look like your hurting.

That's where you've got it all wrong.

You have to look buggered even if you're not, so you can sit on & not be made to take regular turns. Just do enough now & then to show the break that you can still help a little bit. Then freshen up and blow them all away in the sprint. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's where you've got it all wrong.

You have to look buggered even if you're not, so you can sit on & not be made to take regular turns. Just do enough now & then to show the break that you can still help a little bit. Then freshen up and blow them all away in the sprint. :)

Was going up the summit on Saturday, on the absolute rivet. Snot & sweat all over my face. One of the guys next to me takes both hands off the bars & starts replying to a text message. He was on a dual suspension mtb bike. 

Then going down Greenhill road at 65km an hour he goes  bombing pass me. 

9 hours ago, roxii said:

I remember doing that one day when I was riding with (blatant name drop) Matt White, he was on a long training ride and I was out with a few mates but was by myself at the time and ended up sitting beside him for a while. 

I was trying to chat and look all cool, but my Polar HRM was beeping its nuts off and I was fumbling trying to turn the alert off.  :lol: 

I am calling bullshit on this.....I think you were looking at his watch. ;)

On ‎8‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:35 PM, Bored@work said:

Start whistling. It will do their heads in.

• Haha 1

So, here’s the final start list from Port and my run down on how I see it playing out.

Womens:

Looking at this list, one would think this should be the Caroline Steffen show. Her swim/bike will likely put her in a good position to be able to run steady and take home the bickies but there will certainly be other women nipping at her heels. Laura Siddal is reigning champ and you simply can’t discount her, especially on a course like this. It will be a game of catch up for her after the swim but anything can happen out there! Els Visser is also an up and comer and actually ‘won’ an Ironman last year, however was later disqualified for going the wrong way in the swim. Regardless, should be a podium shot here. Melanie Burke should also be looking for a podium here I would have thought. With Caroline already having her Kona slot, there is an opportunity for one of these women to potentially snag a slot in what is quite a small field.

My tips

1. Steffen

2. Siddal

3. Visser

Mens:

The top 7 seeded guys here are likely where the race will be had for the win. Reedy, Berkel, Bowstead are likely to team up early on the bike I would think given that it’s likely for them to swim together. I think we’re likely to see Clayton, Belly, Chevrot, Franklin and Davy looking to split it up from the gun in the water. I think we might see Clayton, Belly and Chevrot then look to work to stay away from the Reed group so it will be an interesting dynamic. The big player that changes this race is obviously Wurf. Given this course could be 15min longer than other IM’s on the bike, there’s a fair chance he will get to the front quickly after the swim before getting to work on a big lead. The IM form guide would have him as the most successful over the distance in this field over the last 12 months so it would only be fair to call him a favourite. With only one slot, there will be some dog fights to try and get it in this field.

My tips

1. Wurf

2. Berkel or Reed (these guys want that Kona slot and I would imagine they will pull out and go for Cairns if they aren’t going to get it)

3. Bell 

D0C7CC4E-BA87-41E4-B156-3C83D9BA3737.png

• Like 2

Havent heard much about Bell recently but I still wouldn't think that position is justified unless you've been seeing some impressive sekrit training going on?

Answer yes. 

I then wonder if Cameron is out in front do the others go for the win and try and catch him or just race each other and try for a kona start?

7AD7D1B2-E59A-4306-A7C2-6AD303A2E3EB.jpeg

1 hour ago, toolex said:

Wurf is going to lap me on the bike 😞

The question is can you be off the bike before he is finished?

46 minutes ago, Peter said:

Doubt it :-)

31 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

He hasn't won an Ironman so this could be a good chance for him at Port

Who hasnt won an ironman?

Bell?

Edited by Peter

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Its a no from me. Last year I was passed by Siddall on my first run lap, as she was in her last, so Wurf will be well finished😂

3 hours ago, Gilliga said:

He hasn't won an Ironman so this could be a good chance for him at Port

He won Wales a couple of years ago.

Thanks Lachie for your generous support. With 3 jobs (TriVelo, Melb Girls Grammar and now TriVic), the 2 squids (1 & 4) and I will have just turned 40!! so I am more looking to try and sneak onto the podium in the 40-44 age group now! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Who hasnt won an ironman?

Bell?

And Luke won Port in 2013.😊

5 minutes ago, auzzieluke said:

Thanks Lachie for your generous support. With 3 jobs (TriVelo, Melb Girls Grammar and now TriVic), the 2 squids (1 & 4) and I will have just turned 40!! so I am more looking to try and sneak onto the podium in the 40-44 age group now! 

You're making that trip to Canberra with Jim, Kev and staying at Chiron's place seem an eternity ago.

Happy Birthday, mate.

• Like 1

Thanks Rimmer! ..... it was an eternity ago..... and my very soon to be 40 body feels it!!! 

To answer Dave T - 

I have won Port & Mont Tremblant Championship IM ......plus a bloody lot of 2nds ahhhhh. 

Wurf - won Sweden I think 

Berks - multiple wins 

Tim - Port 

Chevrot - WA (he is a very handy athlete and VERY dangerous, can swim and run, rides solid) He is already in Port now so he is there to RACE! 

There was/is also talk Dellow racing (who knows) 

I wish they would just make this an only pro males races and then cairns only women pros race.  Swap each year 

Double the spots and prize money. And then the coverage would be better too. 

• Like 1

Great idea Peter. They (IM) did that in the US years ago.. and now have brought it back again this year. It would make for better coverage and (hopefully) more depth/competitive fields. Time will tell. I still love Port the best of all the AUS races. The course is honest, beaches are fantastic, town gets behind it and the club tents at the top of the hill on the run is awesome. 

If there is a course suited to Wurf this is it! ...I feel we need to mic him up for "live" commentary! 

• Like 3

That’s not a bad field considering the prize purse etc 

great to see wurf raceing here

On 05/04/2019 at 11:41 AM, Peter said:

Really shows the sport has not grown. 

Dalian Wanda thought World Triathlon Corporation was worth $650m when they purchased it a couple of years back.

On 06/04/2019 at 12:39 PM, Bored@work said:

Has the sport in Australia really grown? Ironman races no longer sell out & clubs seem to have been replaced by training squads.  

It also seems a lot of ppl do one race & move to something else. 

Parkruns & trail running has exploded in South Australia. There also seems to be a lot more punters out riding.

having said that numbers at the Victor Tri seemed higher than previous years 

Considering long course tris launched and cancelled, Challenge have practically abandoned Australia and IM ditched Melbourne...

2 hours ago, trilobite said:

Dalian Wanda thought World Triathlon Corporation was worth $650m when they purchased it a couple of years back.

They overpaid by about 450million and we all know it. 

2 hours ago, trilobite said:

Considering long course tris launched and cancelled, Challenge have practically abandoned Australia and IM ditched Melbourne...

Melbourne only got ditched because logistically it was crazy having 3 transitions and they could not continue to shut down a major freeway in the middle of Australia's 2nd biggest city. It was absurd to think that it would last longer than the 3 contractual years.

One thing is assured it did not get ditched because the sport is dieing!

Do you not agree that less people are doing the sport now than say in 2012? 

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Do you not agree that less people are doing the sport now than say in 2012? 

I'd say roughly the same. The numbers don't necessarily decrease by much.... they just choose the soft option and do the 70.3.

I am told that at Port this year it is the largest combined field ever!

I thought the numbers doing full IM races had declined, but not according to this (from coachcox.co.uk)

98B65794-317F-4DB1-B594-0DBA1DD80093.png

People forget that Ironman races has gone from about 8 events in the 90's to 42 Ironmans today..

Under the ironman brand now you have:

42 x Ironman races

115 x 70.3 races

30 x Short course Tri's (51.50)

19 x Running events

6 x cycling events

79 x IronKid events

6 x Multi Events.

That is a lot of Events compared to when I started.

Even in Australia/NZ we have gone from 2 Ironmans to...... 4 x IM & 9 x 70.3's.

I say it has grown in some way.

So, can we get away from triathlon being measured by ironman participation?. What's the stats across ALL triathlons? 

1 hour ago, Turts said:

So, can we get away from triathlon being measured by ironman participation?. What's the stats across ALL triathlons? 

No

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Turts said:

There is no way of calculating it across all levels.

I would say this..... There are less events these days due to insurance costs. I remember when I could race every weekend. Plus costs have grown so much for just shitty small races. I mean I have seen a marathon cost in the vicinity of $200+.

Look at a simple 10k run that I could do every afternoon after work.......that cost $55.

People like me now race less and focus on the longer ones which ‘to me’ provide more value and satisfaction. It doesn’t necessarily mean the sport is dying..... it has changed heaps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

People like me now race less and focus on the longer ones which ‘to me’ provide more value and satisfaction. It doesn’t necessarily mean the sport is dying..... it has changed heaps.

That's what's happening - a few of the people who have been in the sport for a few years are just not paying to enter things they could easily do on their own - some only race 2-3 races a year 

Back in the late 80s to 90s we would all race at least once a month and we knew most of the people there 😏 now we go to support friends at these races and it's full of "first year triathletes" and instead of looking ripped like we all did when there were fewer of us, now the field is full of fat people (but so has the rest of society gained weight)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It’s interesting. I’ve gone the other way. No longer do full Ironmans as I just can’t justify the $$$ and time to get a time that Ironmans deserve.  Ie rolling around for $1000 entry is stupid in my books. 

However this season I did 2 half Ironmans, 11 sprint distance, 1 Olympic and 2 half marathons, several crits and 2 road races or an 2 entices. All since November.  

5 hours ago, AP said:

That's what's happening - a few of the people who have been in the sport for a few years are just not paying to enter things they could easily do on their own - some only race 2-3 races a year 

Back in the late 80s to 90s we would all race at least once a month and we knew most of the people there 😏 now we go to support friends at these races and it's full of "first year triathletes" and instead of looking ripped like we all did when there were fewer of us, now the field is full of fat people (but so has the rest of society gained weight)

Don't hate the fat people

19 minutes ago, Peter said:

It’s interesting. I’ve gone the other way. No longer do full Ironmans as I just can’t justify the $$$ and time to get a time that Ironmans deserve.  Ie rolling around for $1000 entry is stupid in my books. 

However this season I did 2 half Ironmans, 11 sprint distance, 1 Olympic and 2 half marathons, several crits and 2 road races or an 2 entices. All since November.  

Agree this is the way to go and makes it more fun and less stress

5 hours ago, AP said:

Gold

20 minutes ago, Peter said:

The only way you’d get me to do 11 sprint races is if they where all held on the same day 

• Thanks 1