Bored@work

Ironman Charge for special needs bags

Bring your own special needs bags or pay $4 per back +8% active fee.

Won't be long & they will have tap & go payments for on course nutrition.

Didn't we previously do that anyway? 2013/14 at IMWA I supplied my own.

Last year I was admittedly  supplied two, but definitely not $4 worth. And I assumed it was only because they were colour-coded to the leg they were allocated to, rather than the free for all of colours and sizes people brought themselves. 

1 minute ago, Katz said:

Didn't we previously do that anyway? 2013/14 at IMWA I supplied my own.

Last year I was admittedly  supplied two, but definitely not $4 worth. And I assumed it was only because they were colour-coded to the leg they were allocated to, rather than the free for all of colours and sizes people brought themselves. 

I haven't raced in Australia in years. They supply draw string bags in the USA races.

At Wales they don't give them automatically, you have to collect them separately at rego but they don't charge.

Edited by FatPom

4 minutes ago, FatPom said:

At Wales they don't give them automatically, you have to collect them separately at rego but they don't charge.

This is a good idea (save on wastage) but charging $4 + 8% active fee is a joke 

It’s about time they just stopped plastic bags all together.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

How will ppl do for gear bags (shoes, helmet etc)?

12 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

This is a good idea (save on wastage) but charging $4 + 8% active fee is a joke 

IIRC, you had to tick a box either on entry or in one of the follow up mails to state that you wanted a bag.

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

I still have a couple hanging in the garage. I find them useful for taking to all kinds of events for chucking wet stuff in afterwards.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

How will ppl do for gear bags (shoes, helmet etc)?

No special needs. 

Land gear bags mesh ones.  

Or just leave them at the bike like most half Ironmans are. 

Who uses special needs bags anyway. They have so much on course stuff its not funny.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peter said:

That’s what’s this is all about 

they arnt letting u use plastic bags at special needs so supplie your own reusable bag for nothing or buy them off active 

great idea , but I’m sure they can do it in more areas than just special needs 

I suppose the thing with SN is that some take the bag with them on the bike and once removed the goods discard it on course and it eventually ends up in the ocean at Nobbys  beach or in shufflers front yard 

We look forward to seeing you on the start line in Port Macquarie for IRONMAN Australia.

IRONMAN Oceania will no longer be supplying plastic Special Needs Bags within IRONMAN Race Kits.

This is to align with IRONMAN Oceania’s focus on making the event more sustainable with support of the Port Macquarie-Hastings Council and IRONMAN Australia Local Organizing Committee.

Athletes will have two options if they wish to use Special Needs both on the Bike and Run course.

Option 1:

Purchase reusable/insulated IRONMAN Blue Bike and Red Run Special Needs Bags through Active upon registration.

Cost:

• Both Bags: $7.50 + 8% Active = $8.10.

• Single Bag (either Bike or Run): $4.00 + 8% Active Fee = $4.32

How to purchase:

1. Log into your Active account at www.active.com (log in via the 'log in', in the top right-hand corner)

2. Head to 'my events' and locate your IRONMAN Australia entry

3. Select 'purchase additional' and follow the steps.

Onsite purchases will also be available from the Glasshouse Information during opening times.

Option 2:

Provide your own reusable bag with the dimensions no bigger than 20x20x20cm.

For more information view the Athlete Information Guide released Friday 5 May.

If you have any further enquires please call our athlete services team on 1300 761 384 or email australia@ironman.com.

Kind regards,

Rachael Morris

Athlete Services 

IRONMAN OCEANIA

I think it's a good idea. 

Get rid of single use plastic, without adding the extra cost of zippy bags to everyone's entry. Easy enough to bring a supermarket bag, since we all have them anyway. 

Id be interested in the proportion of racers that actually use their special needs option. 

Any reduction in waste is good. Would have been good marketing though for Ironman to provide free bags that people could re-use for shopping etc. 

Hopefully someone comes up with a way to reduce the waste created by the drink bottles they give out on course. Doesn't seem like an easy problem. Maybe there is a more bio-degradable material they could use, considering most (or at least a significant proportion) are probably only in use for the distance between one or two aid stations.

23 minutes ago, Turts said:

I think it's a good idea. 

Get rid of single use plastic, without adding the extra cost of zippy bags to everyone's entry. Easy enough to bring a supermarket bag, since we all have them anyway. 

Id be interested in the proportion of racers that actually use their special needs option. 

Yeah because I love having to remember to pack a supermarket bag and take it half way across the world with me. 

I use special needs on the bike & run.  If they left the bags included in the cost & had a stack at check in. It would reduce cost & save the single use bags. 

If you think Ironman have done this for environmental reasons, I would argue u are wrong. They have moved away from Bidons to single use water bottles years ago. The number of bottle that are wasted on the side of the road is crazy. Take a look at the trash in the u-hauls. 

Its all about money with this business. 

15 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Yeah because I love having to remember to pack a supermarket bag and take it half way across the world with me. 

Don't ever move into ultramarathons or trail running then

4 minutes ago, Turts said:

Don't ever move into ultramarathons or trail running then

Ok thanks for the tip. I will be sure to remember  that. 

27 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I use special needs on the bike & run.  If they left the bags included in the cost & had a stack at check in. It would reduce cost & save the single use bags. 

If you think Ironman have done this for environmental reasons, I would argue u are wrong. They have moved away from Bidons to single use water bottles years ago. The number of bottle that are wasted on the side of the road is crazy. Take a look at the trash in the u-hauls. 

Wales has regular bidons, used my Enervit branded one today. Can't remember on the run, paper cups I think.

Edited by FatPom

1 minute ago, FatPom said:

Wales has regular bidons, used my Enervit branded one today. Can't remember on the run, paper cups I think.

That's cool. In the old days of Ironman Aus they had Endura & Hi-Five bottles the key was to ditch your bisons before the last aid station to make sure you had two fresh bottles on the bike when you collected it the next day. 

10 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

That's cool. In the old days of Ironman Aus they had Endura & Hi-Five bottles the key was to ditch your bisons before the last aid station to make sure you had two fresh bottles on the bike when you collected it the next day. 

Do you Bisons get this angry when you ditch them??

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I don't care why they did it - but I like the outcome. 

Do you think Woolies and Coles abandoned single use plastic bags for the environment?  No way.  Now they make more money selling thicker plastic bags at 15c a pop, that people only use once (likely) when they forget their $4 zippy bags. 

Plus, people who used the lighter ones for rubbish now have to buy additional bags for that purpose. 

I honestly don't care they now charge for a higher quality bag.  The supermarkets don't give them away.  If you can remember to take (all the way across the world) everything else you need for an IM, surely you can remember (or acquire at the destination) a simple plastic bag?   Maybe even use one to pack the rest of your gear in?  Use your helmet bag?  Nutrition bag?  It's not really that hard.  You don't need a fancy bag.  

I personally can't understand why it is such a noteworthy issue. 

1 hour ago, toolex said:

Hopefully someone comes up with a way to reduce the waste created by the drink bottles they give out on course. Doesn't seem like an easy problem. Maybe there is a more bio-degradable material they could use, considering most (or at least a significant proportion) are probably only in use for the distance between one or two aid stations.

A number at Husky were dumped at a far turn-around (nowhere near the designated drop zone). Disappointing. Not to mention the half eaten gel packs, banana skins, wrappers, etc. 

Actually, what are done with the cups on the run course? Depending on the race they have either been paper (which is the non-recyclable type as its coated) or plastic (which I assume is the recyclable plastic).

8 minutes ago, Turts said:

Do you think Woolies and Coles abandoned single use plastic bags for the environment?  No way.  Now they make more money selling thicker plastic bags at 15c a pop, that people only use once (likely) when they forget their $4 zippy bags. 

Plus, people who used the lighter ones for rubbish now have to buy additional bags for that purpose. 

I honestly don't care they now charge for a higher quality bag.  The supermarkets don't give them away.  If you can remember to take (all the way across the world) everything else you need for an IM, surely you can remember (or acquire at the destination) a simple plastic bag?   Maybe even use one to pack the rest of your gear in?  Use your helmet bag?  Nutrition bag?  It's not really that hard.  You don't need a fancy bag.  

Cos you are paying $1000+ for an event and you would think some of that fee is going towards covering logistics and supplies? Next they will be charging you an additional amount for nutrition, water, sunscreen etc and you will have to buy a portaloo token(s) ..

• Like 1

I have mesh bags from IMWA 2011 that were for the bike and run, that i still use.

IM went to plastic bags as a cost out option, not a save the planet option.

If IM used single use PET bottles, they are 100% recyclable in Australia. The plastics industry can not get enough bottles back to recycle to meet demand for rPET at present (I work in this industry so i know the facts). The problem is not the single use PET bottle it is the lazy, dumb consumer who buys and does not recycle.

Edited by rory-dognz
spelling and to temper down my description of our end customers
  • Like 1

My memory may be failing me but I seem to remember using my own (none were supplied) plastic bag for special needs in 13,14,15 at Port. There was an extra sticker with your Bib number to place on the bag.

"back in the day" the run and bike leg bags were just drawstring plastic bags. 

Worked a treat, after my first Ironman, I fit a bag of ice and a dozen beers in it to walk to the co-op for fish and chips for lunch.  :lol: 

7 minutes ago, nealo said:

My memory may be failing me but I seem to remember using my own (none were supplied) plastic bag for special needs in 13,14,15 at Port. There was an extra sticker with your Bib number to place on the bag.

Yeah good remembering. 

i remember using my own for various IM's, including Port and Busso. 

Not sure about Melbourne of Cairns - memory blur. 

You dump[ed them off at a UHaul truck,. There was a sticker once, but the other times you had to write your number on your bag with a sharpie. 

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

If they left the bags included in the cost & had a stack at check in. It would reduce cost & save the single use bags.

Ironman are obviously clueless about perception when it comes to the average punter.  It just looks like a virtue signalling excuse to grab an extra $10 on top of their already significant cost.  Bored is right, if it were just about the environment they would just have them as an optional take at check-in.  They could even increase the entry by $10 to still get the money and nobody would bat an eye.  The local littering aspect doesn't wash either as they could change the policy to have competitors required to leave the bags in SN after removing what they need.

2 hours ago, Turts said:

So why do you think it's a good outcome?  We've still got plastic bags going into waste and while it may be one fifth as many if they're ten times thicker the end result is worse.  The cheap re-usable bags should never have been allowed in.  If you have to buy a $1 reusable bag every time you forget yours from home you're far more likely to remember next time than if you can get six ones for the same price.

2 hours ago, pieman said:

Cos you are paying $1000+ for an event and you would think some of that fee is going towards covering logistics and supplies? Next they will be charging you an additional amount for nutrition, water, sunscreen etc and you will have to buy a portaloo token(s) ..

What this guy said. I'm not buying a handful of groceries for $10 it's $1000+ to enter a race.

3 hours ago, Turts said:

I.  If you can remember to take (all the way across the world) everything else you need for an IM, surely you can remember (or acquire at the destination) a simple plastic bag?   Maybe even use one to pack the rest of your gear in?  Use your helmet bag?  Nutrition bag?  It's not really that hard.  You don't need a fancy bag.  

Then stop opening the tread & replying. It's simple.

Did you suggest using a helmet bag for special needs?

I have done few races & never had to supply my own special needs bags.  Using the same bags with the large printed labels would also make it a lot easier for volunteers to arrange the bags on race day.

The RSPCA should set up a stall at the expo & sell bags to the punters. I would donate $$ to those guys. For me it's not about the enviroment or the cost. It's about the cost increasing but reducing the service they provide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stikman said:

I

So why do you think it's a good outcome?  

At the least, it's because only those that want a SN bag will have one provided. Less wastage. 

4 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Did you suggest using a helmet bag for special needs?

Yep.  My helmets (motorbike and bicycle) came with a cloth drawstring bag. I have a ton of spare ones lying around I use for packing gear in for travelling and such.  Perfect size for a few spares, gels, bottle etc. Can be easily tied shut. 

I can send you some if you like. But aren't you retired from IM racing anyway? 

IM is a private profit making company, like any other.  Dont like it?  Chose another provider.  

I don't understand the angst, and I disagree it's an issue.  By opening and responding to the thread, I can show a different pint of view from a one-eyed IM basher. It's called a balanced discussion. 

I have provided what I consider a constructive contribution, noting previous races I've done where you had to provide your own SN bags, as well as suggested alternatives such as a helmet bag. 

One eyed Ironman basher???? I have only ever raced IM & enjoy the service they provide. If you look at my previous posts you will also see I highlight the things they do really well (Ironman Buddy system, letters from school kids etc)

My helmet bags all come in a black zip up bag, what would I then use to protect my helmet after the race (the purpose of the bag)

In breaking news, not everyone uses the change tent at Ironman. So they will no longer supply a marquee to get changed in. If you want to get fully changed you can purchase a personal change tent for $80+8% active fee.

E8CCFBDB-55D4-4E64-8FF1-16AFEB5151D6.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

One eyed Ironman basher???? I have only ever raced IM & enjoy the service they provide. If you look at my previous posts you will also see I highlight the things they do really well (Ironman Buddy system, letters from school kids etc)

My helmet bags all come in a black zip up bag, what would I then use to protect my helmet after the race (the purpose of the bag)

I didn't directly call you the one-eyed IM basher.

For helmets, I have more than one helmet, yet only use one in a race.    I've taken one form a helmet I'm not using.  But mine are Suomy, that come with a soft drawstring bag. 

I'm done with this too and fro. 

Had never done a race before that had a no cup policy til recently.  Kinda cool rocking up at a aid station with one of those collapsaple cups and serving yourself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roxii said:

Worked a treat, after my first Ironman, I fit a bag of ice and a dozen beers in it to walk to the co-op for fish and chips for lunch.  :lol: 

Mine are drawstring plastic bags. Can't be that different around the world, can it?

7 hours ago, roxii said:

Your "back in the day" must have been a bit after mine. :)

Back in the day you attached everything you needed for your bike to the top tube, or shoved it in your pocket. And for the run you ate/drank what was provided.

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Check out my special needs bag. So cute #blessed 

9808EF37-F149-4705-93CE-F1929C9F516D.jpeg

We can't see if you're standing on your tippy toes.

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Check out my special needs bag. So cute #blessed 

9808EF37-F149-4705-93CE-F1929C9F516D.jpeg

So which IM will this be for? 😉

• Haha 1

I love the waste minimisation strategy as much as possible. I think your own collapsible cup or hand held bottle wouldn't be such a terrible thing for the aid stations either except for the germs factor of people dunking in multiple buckets of drinks after going to port-potties etc. I would much prefer paper cups that aren't plastic lined - who cares if it dissolves - you only use it for 12 seconds at most then throw it out anyway. fill-sip-toss.

And I vaguely remember doing an IM some years ago when it was BYO special needs bags although I've never used special needs so there's two bags that just go to waste every race I do.

1 hour ago, JenS said:

I love the waste minimisation strategy as much as possible. I think your own collapsible cup or hand held bottle wouldn't be such a terrible thing for the aid stations either except for the germs factor of people dunking in multiple buckets of drinks after going to port-potties etc. I would much prefer paper cups that aren't plastic lined - who cares if it dissolves - you only use it for 12 seconds at most then throw it out anyway. fill-sip-toss.

And I vaguely remember doing an IM some years ago when it was BYO special needs bags although I've never used special needs so there's two bags that just go to waste every race I do.

They were filling you cup from a jug in the race I did.  

It was pretty simple.