Peter

Barkely Marathons

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I don’t get why you couldn’t go there and train on sections he always sends people on. For example down the thorn section to the prison. 

If you really wanted to nail it you could research and do sections over and over. 

It’s  what people do for the run leg at Coast to Coast.  It’s not marked or on trails. Just a start, a top checkpoint and then a finish. 

There's a lot of respect for the race and the course. 

It's mostlynrun off the trails and no access is allowed off trail outside if the event. 

The route changes every year, and books are placed differently and the order different. 

Also, there are no GPS watches or cameras allowed (until it became mainstream and the Netflix doco was made) so no way to track and repeat. 

Lastly, the competitors are very protective and not likely to pass out info to newbies. 

Even repeat participants don't seem to go back in between. 

It's bloody hard terrain, but from what I've seen, a heck of a lot of runners are brought undone by the navigation component. Especually finding books in the dark and fog. 

Some have done orienteering training prior which helped. 

But it's no normal ultra. 

Many high performing ultra runners wouldn't do it as it's so hurtful. 

Most successful finishers are strong through hikers, with FKTs. Not normal ultra winners. 

• Like 2

Places like ratjaw are well known. Not meant to go on them outside the event. But i cant see much to be gained by doing ratjaw repeats in prep. Its steep and prickly. Many places like that to go. 

5 hours ago, flathead said:

How about marathon swimming? I get the perception that women are up there with the men at the pointy end of the race. Or is that just the Australian media slant on marathon swimming given we have had so many good long distance women swimmers.

Women are about 7% to 10% behind the men in Marathon Swimming, which is very similar to marathon & ultramarathon running.

For all we've heard in the media about our female ultra swimmers over the past 20 years, there wasn't much publicity about the men's record (6:55) for the English channel by a Brisbane guy, Trent Grimsey.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I don’t get why you couldn’t go there and train on sections he always sends people on. For example down the thorn section to the prison. 

If you really wanted to nail it you could research and do sections over and over. 

It’s  what people do for the run leg at Coast to Coast.  It’s not marked or on trails. Just a start, a top checkpoint and then a finish. 

Peter, If you really want some info on what it takes to win/train for the event. hit up Matt & Jason. They know the guy won it a few years ago.

Just now, Bored@work said:

Peter, If you really want some info on what it takes to win/train for the event. hit up Matt & Jason. They know the guy won it a few years ago.

He also has the Guiness Record for the fastest marathon dressed as a video game character (2016 Boston Marathon)

1 hour ago, Turts said:

There's a lot of respect for the race and the course. 

It's mostlynrun off the trails and no access is allowed off trail outside if the event. 

The route changes every year, and books are placed differently and the order different. 

Also, there are no GPS watches or cameras allowed (until it became mainstream and the Netflix doco was made) so no way to track and repeat. 

Lastly, the competitors are very protective and not likely to pass out info to newbies. 

Even repeat participants don't seem to go back in between. 

It's bloody hard terrain, but from what I've seen, a heck of a lot of runners are brought undone by the navigation component. Especually finding books in the dark and fog. 

Some have done orienteering training prior which helped. 

But it's no normal ultra. 

Many high performing ultra runners wouldn't do it as it's so hurtful. 

Most successful finishers are strong through hikers, with FKTs. Not normal ultra winners. 

It’s good as you said you don’t know much about the event. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peter said:

this is a good read from John Kelly who has finished (I think) 3 times and also is a very good triathlete.

He did some training on the course. 

http://www.randomforestrunner.com/2019/03/2019-barkley-marathons-training/

30 minutes ago, Peter said:

It’s good as you said you don’t know much about the event. 

That sentence didn't make much sense. 

I said I know a fair bit. I said I don't know everything. I said I'm not an expert. What's not clear in that? 

Quit just stirring and be sensible. 

You claim to be no expert then post 22 or so facts   

Your posted the woman question fully well knowing the answer.  

11 hours ago, Paul Every said:

It's not the distance. It's "only" 100 miles. That's nothing unusual.

It's the terrain and the lack of trail. Steep, rough, loose footing, overgrown vegetation.....all sorts of misery. Also a lack of course marking.

Low competitor numbers (and the devious tricks from RD Laz) make it difficult or impossible to follow or team up with other runners. One year he had two runners come make their final loop and he sent them to run the final loop in opposite directions. Neither would have known that at the time.

Isn't it actually over 120 miles 😀 The RD is basically a sadist 😂

3 hours ago, dazaau said:

Isn't it actually over 120 miles 😀 The RD is basically a sadist 😂

Yes

the distance was s never really know each year 

but it’s said to be between 120 and 130 miles 

9 hours ago, Peter said:

You claim to be no expert then post 22 or so facts   

Your posted the woman question fully well knowing the answer.  

I do not know the answer to the "woman question". Shit mate, read. I said i dont know and i DO NOT KNOW. 

You can know stuff without being an expert, so stop being a dick. 

3 minutes ago, Turts said:

I do not know the answer to the "woman question". Shit mate, read. I said i dont know and i DO NOT KNOW. 

Don't humour him, everyone knows what you mean :)

NSF

13 minutes ago, Notsofast said:

Don't humour him, everyone knows what you mean :)

NSF

Yeah you're right. And you were before too. I shouldn't bite. 

No more biting. 😶

25 minutes ago, Turts said:

My point was you asked a leading question you knew the answer too. 

As in. How many women have done it. 

Then a few posts later you answered it yourself. 

Im not being a dick.  I’m just calling you out on the fact you said you dont know anything about the event and then you went on to post more facts than everyone else combined.  

So you did know the answer when you asked the the question.  

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

As in. How many women have done it. 

Then a few posts later you answered it yourself

Please quote my answer. 

I have no idea how many women have started. So I'm bemused where you think I posted the answer. 

Please shut up both of you. It’s annoying. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

You don't have to read it

Edited by Turts

This seems appropriate

"You 2 going to fight or ****? " YoYo (multiple dates)

Back on topic. 

I watched the doco last night. 

That looked brutal.  Problem is that the limited footage they show doesn't really put it in perspective as you only see snapshots. 

Did you watch the Netflix one roxii ?

Edited by Rog

Yeah. 

The look on Wouters face when he touched the gate and pulled out was harrowing!! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rog said:

Did you watch the Netflix one roxii ?

I felt sick just watching it! They all looked like extras from the Walking Dead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rog said:

Please shut up both of you. It’s annoying. 

Fair point. 

Just watched the Netflix , "Barkely Marathons". Wow, it was great! Never heard of this event before this thread.Thanks everyone.

• Thanks 1

I watched it tonight, so good! 

On 02/04/2019 at 10:39 AM, Peter said:

For example

1865 First Man to climb the Matterhorn.
1895 Annie Smith Peck is the first woman to climb the Matterhorn.
Guessing they said a woman would never do it.

1875 Mathew webb was the first man to swim the English Channel.
1926 Gertrude Ederle becomes the first woman to swim the English Channel.
Guessing they said a woman would never do it.

I'm surprised Turts can't believe a woman will finish it one day.

I fully believe a woman will finish it.

I recon a female will finish one day, if we wait long enough, but is your example comparing apples with apples?

About 10,000 people climbed the Matterhorn. One guy's done it 390 times, his last time at 90 years of age. 

1568 people have successfully swum the English Channel, of coarse some of these would be women.

Only 15 guys out of a field of 1000 invited elite runners have ever finished the Barkley Marathons 

Edited by Mike Del

22 hours ago, -H- said:

I watched it tonight, so good! 

Watched it today - really enjoyed it. Their feet and legs really get messed up. Reckon you could do it -H- :)

20 hours ago, Mike Del said:

I recon a female will finish one day, if we wait long enough, but is your example comparing apples with apples?

About 10,000 people climbed the Matterhorn. One guy's done it 390 times, his last time at 90 years of age. 

1568 people have successfully swum the English Channel, of coarse some of these would be women.

Only 15 guys out of a field of 1000 invited elite runners have ever finished the Barkley Marathons 

From what I saw on the documentary I'm not sure there have been 1000 "elite runners", I'm not sure exactly what elite looks like in this kind of event but most of them didn't look anything like what I would expect elite to look like.

Having said that, it's fair to say no 90 year old could ever come anywhere even close to a Barkley! It's clearly incredibly hard. And hard core. 

1 hour ago, trinube said:

Watched it today - really enjoyed it. Their feet and legs really get messed up. Reckon you could do it -H- :)

I wouldn't even make one lap 😂 

On 01/04/2019 at 10:14 PM, Turts said:

Have a crack. 

She nearly won one of Laz's other races, Last Man Standing. In that one, you don't know how long the race will last. Just keep cutting laps until everyone else pulls out. She was second essentially. 

One for you Turts :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQSiygnDm-U

5 minutes ago, Turts said:

We must have the same youtube feed.....i only just watched that a few days ago! 

hehe I get some pretty weird suggestions on mine. Anything from ultra running to the best TT set up, random stuff about custom motos  (Shadetree Surgeon) Seth's Bike Hacks to Stuart Fillingham and his T120!

7 hours ago, Kim jong-un said:

I won it 

93B559E8-8BB0-458A-8EF5-6092C26461F9.jpeg

Well he stuffed up with his course setting in 2012 didn't he. I'll bet that never happens again.