more

Bike frame paint chipped

So I'm a little OCD about my gear and my new bike has a chip in the paintwork that is driving me insane. Anyone know about shops that would repair something like this? Its a carbon frame but the chip is only on the surface-superficial...

37 minutes ago, zed said:

What colour is the paint? And where is it? 

Silver and top of the bottom down tube-just where the bottle cage is

Depends how big it is and how fussy you are. Not so fussy and a small chip nail varnish will be fine. Or get a paint shop to match the colour using their camera thingy, touch it up yourself.  You might want to use wet and dry sand paper and clear coat, should be as good as gold. Small scratches can be buffed out using something like Meguirs ultimate compound. Any professional work will cost u. 

Edited by zed

3 minutes ago, zed said:

Depends how big it is and how fussy you are. Not so fussy and a small chip nail varnish will be fine. Or get a paint shop to match the colour using their camera thingy, touch it up yourself.  You might want to use wet and dry sand paper and clear coat, should be as good as gold. Small scratches can be buffed out using something like Meguirs ultimate compound. Any professional work will cost u. 

Thanks, its about the size of your little finger nail so will need some bog or something to level it out-or would you just fill it with paint? If anyone knows of a bike shop that would do this type of stuff please let me know

2 minutes ago, more said:

Thanks, its about the size of your little finger nail so will need some bog or something to level it out-or would you just fill it with paint? If anyone knows of a bike shop that would do this type of stuff please let me know

Most cities have places that spray carbon bikes. A total respray costs $600+. I'd imagine they would charge $100? Guesstimate. Have a crack yourself. A chip that large I would get the paint colour matched, Bunnings do it,  no need for bog, multiple layers of paint will be fine, plus clearcoat. 

How did you do it? Unusual for a chip that size, not a defect with the paint?

11 minutes ago, zed said:

Most cities have places that spray carbon bikes. A total respray costs $600+. I'd imagine they would charge $100? Guesstimate. Have a crack yourself. A chip that large I would get the paint colour matched, Bunnings do it,  no need for bog, multiple layers of paint will be fine, plus clearcoat. 

How did you do it? Unusual for a chip that size, not a defect with the paint?

I just bought the bike second hand-guy said something fell on it in the shed...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

wack an Ironman sticker on it

1 hour ago, more said:

lol this could work

Make sure it’s a Kona one.  More street cred.  

5 hours ago, more said:

So I'm a little OCD about my gear and my new bike has a chip in the paintwork that is driving me insane. Anyone know about shops that would repair something like this? Its a carbon frame but the chip is only on the surface-superficial...

Leave it. Chips on bikes are like the scars on our bodies, they tell a story.

43 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I wish...you don't know me lol,  I used to race dirt bikes and they had to be spotless.  On the flip side I find it very easy to sell my stuff when the time comes ;) 

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Yeah, but it's not More's Story. It was on the bike when he bought it.

More, if you're that OCD with your bikes, why are you buying chipped second hand bikes? :)

21 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeah, but it's not More's Story. It was on the bike when he bought it.

More, if you're that OCD with your bikes, why are you buying chipped second hand bikes? :)

The buyer conveniently left that little detail out 🙄😥

Ah well them the breaks when you buy from gumtree interstate... otherwise I'm pretty stoked 

Can you check what colour your Trek is online as my Trek Emonda SL6 disc colour is called Matte Metallic Gunmetal.

I have fixed a little stone chip with this nail polish I found in a chemist and it’s a pretty good match and costs bugger all $.

The chip on your bike looks a bit bigger but might be worth a try.

And yes I’m OCD about my bike.

EA31CD6A-552B-44E3-9079-92E5F0352B3C.jpeg

78047A48-F246-40A8-9BE3-200045BFA208.jpeg

Edited by fiftyplus
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, more said:

I wish...you don't know me lol,  I used to race dirt bikes and they had to be spotless.  On the flip side I find it very easy to sell my stuff when the time comes ;) 

Yep that’s me 

it’s great for resale 

11 hours ago, more said:

20190329_202902.jpg

I’d be getting that x rayed , ( or sending it back to the original owner) .damadged  carbon  just lets go and before you know it you are smashed on the road and bike  is in two pieces 

its taken a decent wack to get that amount of damage 

4 hours ago, ironpo said:

I’d be getting that x rayed , ( or sending it back to the original owner) .damadged  carbon  just lets go and before you know it you are smashed on the road and bike  is in two pieces 

Yeah but considering its the edge a little knock could easily do that. I'll check out the local repairers and see what they think.

14 minutes ago, more said:

Yeah but considering its the edge a little knock could easily do that. I'll check out the local repairers and see what they think.

Looks fine to me. Ride it for a month & you will forget all about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fiftyplus said:

Can you check what colour your Trek is online as my Trek Emonda SL6 disc colour is called Matte Metallic Gunmetal.

I have fixed a little stone chip with this nail polish I found in a chemist and it’s a pretty good match and costs bugger all $.

The chip on your bike looks a bit bigger but might be worth a try.

And yes I’m OCD about my bike.

EA31CD6A-552B-44E3-9079-92E5F0352B3C.jpeg

78047A48-F246-40A8-9BE3-200045BFA208.jpeg

Thanks that looks good 

8 hours ago, ironpo said:

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Looks fine to me. Ride it for a month & you will forget all about it.

Yeah it’s not like the frame will fold in half and you won’t get your money back anyway.  It’s one of the catches with second hand. 

Just insure the bike and if it does fail, you can just insurance claim it then. 

• Like 1

I’ve had an Allen key do that sort of damage on a brand new frame so not necessarily a sinister knock. 

• Like 1

I've been meaning to fix this one on the wife's bike.  Of course it had to be right on the junction of the red & white just to make it more challenging.  No filling needed here, I'll just sand carefully & airbrush the red & white.  It's an alum frame. 

On yours I'd carefully sand (mask off surrounding areas & use small pieces of sandpaper) to remove any loose edges, fill with something appropriate (JB Weld? Epoxy resin?), carefully sand, then mask and airbrush those two colours, though matching that metallic fleck will be a challenge.  If I could find a suitable thinner for that nailpolish Fifty shows, I'd run thinned nailpolish that thru the airbrush (lacquer or enamel thinner might do the trick, I'd do a test mix first in a plastic cap before risking glugging up my airbrush though).

I'm a model aircraft nerd who masks & airbrushes stoopid small stuff, wearing an optivisor :blush:

PaintChip.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Yeah it’s not like the frame will fold in half and you won’t get your money back anyway.  It’s one of the catches with second hand. 

Just insure the bike and if it does fail, you can just insurance claim it then. 

It’s not the money 

its the damage done to the body when the frame folds in half 

if you don’t belive that happens then google carbon failure

2 hours ago, roxii said:

I’ve had an Allen key do that sort of damage on a brand new frame so not necessarily a sinister knock. 

True 

but the OP doesn’t  know how it happened 

you would know as well as anyone, when carbon let goes it’s a massive failure and causes serious injuries 

I’m with IP... that ain’t no paint chip. You can see the carbon separating.

Where are you based? If in Melb, $100 for a scan and will be told definitely what damage it is.

My guess? You got it for a bargain

Edited by Steno
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steno said:

I’m with IP... that ain’t no paint chip.

Where are you based? If in Melb, $100 for a scan and will be told definitely what damage it is.

My guess? You got it for a bargain

Where can I get that done, I'm in Melbourne. I paid $4.5k for a 2017 madone project one.

12 hours ago, Steno said:

From Trannie Whodesigns. He is the godfather of carbon and carbon repair in Aus.

http://luescherteknik.com.au/

Be prepared that it will be a strip of all the components and $$$ to fix. I know this from experience.

Awesome thanks mate. I've sent him an email with the pic.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ironpo said:

It’s not the money 

its the damage done to the body when the frame folds in half 

if you don’t belive that happens then google carbon failure

True 

but the OP doesn’t  know how it happened 

you would know as well as anyone, when carbon let goes it’s a massive failure and causes serious injuries 

Na I rode a frame with half a dozen paint chips in it like that for years. No problems at all. 

Never seen a massive failure in carbon on a geniuine road bike, unless it was a TDF rider crashing at high speed 

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Na I rode a frame with half a dozen paint chips in it like that for years. No problems at all. 

Yep.... but that ain’t a paint chip caused by a stone, etc. Something has been dropped on it and to me, it looks like something of size. The previous owner will know exactly what.....

I would be arranging to have it scanned. The response to the email will be “we are more concerned by what we can’t see”. 

Can’t remember what it cost me to get fixed, maybe $500ish including painting.

On 31/03/2019 at 7:50 AM, Steno said:

Yep.... but that ain’t a paint chip caused by a stone, etc. Something has been dropped on it and to me, it looks like something of size. The previous owner will know exactly what.....

It does look like it's taken a bit of a knock. Chat to the owner though. It could have been something sharp instead of something heavy. I took a chunk out of my bike when it clipped a corner of the bike rack, no structural damage. 

19 minutes ago, zed said:

It does look like it's taken a bit of a knock. Chat to the owner though. It could have been something sharp instead of something heavy. I took a chunk out of my bike when it clipped a corner of the bike rack, no structural damage. 

Yeah I've been looking at it over and over all weekend going cross eyed. Really doesnt look like anything structural to me, Ive been pushing and prodding it and cant feel any movement. Paint on edges comes off very easy with the slightest knock..and given the location of where it is the story of something dropping on it sounds about right.

On 30/03/2019 at 4:27 PM, roxii said:

I was just thinking the same thing, only I was doing the dreaded pedal swap or pedals after the bike shop gorilla installed some and I needed to get em off.