Peter

2019 Easter Weekend Challenge (70.3)

Okay so I am throwing this out there.

Goal: Do a 1.9k swim / 90k bike / 21k run 

Challenge 1: Do them all on the same day. Order not important.

Challenge 2: Do each leg over the 4 days of Easter (ie swim Fri, run sun, bike mon)

Challenge 3: Do them 2 times.  ie an Ironman over the 4 days.  But you must do 2 x 90k ride, 2 x 21k run, 2x1.9k swim  NOT 180K.

Rules:

You may choose to do the bike first and then the swim and run later if you are doing all in the one day. 
You can do the swim in a pool or open water.
You cannot split the legs.  As in you can't do 45K ride in the morning and then another 45K later that day.
Times aren't the challenge.  Its the distance. Go as slow or as fast as you want.

At the completion, post here.  You can screen shot Garmin/strava/TPeaks for proof if you want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

Okay so I am throwing this out there.

Goal: Do a 1.9k swim / 90k bike / 21k run 

Challenge 1: Do them all on the same day. Order not important.

Challenge 2: Do each leg over the 4 days of Easter (ie swim Fri, run sun, bike mon)

Challenge 3: Do them 2 times.  ie an Ironman over the 4 days.  But you must do 2 x 90k ride, 2 x 21k run, 2x1.9k swim  NOT 180K.

Rules:

You may choose to do the bike first and then the swim and run later if you are doing all in the one day. 
You can do the swim in a pool or open water.
You cannot split the legs.  As in you can't do 45K ride in the morning and then another 45K later that day.
Times aren't the challenge.  Its the distance. Go as slow or as fast as you want.

At the completion, post here.  You can screen shot Garmin/strava/TPeaks for proof if you want.

I cant run but I will try and do the IM swim and bike distances over the whole weekend.. 

Guest FFF1077

@Peter

Bloody fantastic idea. 

Best thing you've suggested in ages. 

I won't be able to participate but I will have a crack on my next free weekend 

Cheers 

Guest FFF1077
19 minutes ago, Cape_Horn said:

just walk 21k - should only take 4 hours....

Yeah that's what my 2009 Busso half run leg took 🤣🤣🤣🤣🙁🤔🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Second this question. Zwift bike/run allowed?

Can I Zwift the swim ?

FM

• Haha 1

I am looking to do this anyway - 2 weeks out from Port. 

I should be ably to do most of Challenge 2 & 3 - IM swim; IM ride (over two days) but > 21 kms over the 4 days.

FM

Edited by Flanman

Guest FFF1077
7 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Can I Zwift the swim ?

FM

Swim cords? 

49 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

@Peter

Can we Zwift the bike? 

45 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Second this question. Zwift bike/run allowed?

Absolutely 

Guest FFF1077

Do we have a catchy name for this thing? 

TrannieMan Half? 

Seeing as IM is 90% mental, can I do 190m swim, 9km ride, and 2.1km run/walk? I'll think about the rest.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Seeing as IM is 90% mental, can I do 190m swim, 9km ride, and 2.1km run/walk? I'll think about the rest.

If you swim 1.9k each day, I’ll give you a credit.  

Guest FFF1077
1 hour ago, Peter said:

If you swim 1.9k each day, I’ll give you a credit.  

And Kudos from you is heaps cooler than....than...say...a salad bowl.... LOL 

Challenge 2 is like a normal long weekend at the coast using the old Surf coast international Tri course with a few extras chucked in.

i try to do this on a few long weekends thru the year. Easter, June LW, Melb cup LW. 

saturday morning - park run Torquay with the wife. Then I swim the 2 km course which starts from just near the park run finish,  to where the swim finished when Nick ran the races, which is not far from our street. In winter, it's too farken cold in the water to swim,  so I usually take the mountain bike for a spin along the coastal trails instead.

sunday morning I run the old SCIT Tri course run leg. It's a pretty honest run course which gives a good workout. No two runs are ever the same as the weather is so changeable.

Monday - I either ride the 90 km SCIT bike leg ( especially if the north wind is blowing) or I ride home which can be 85 up to 120km (but never when the north wind is blowing). I did the 90km into a howling northerly once. Took me 4 and half hours with 2 stops to fill my water bottles. Farked for a few days. 

The only real problem is I don't use a Garmin or post on Strava so, as I'm told, it never really happens.

24 minutes ago, Greyman said:

The only real problem is I don't use a Garmin or post on Strava so, as I'm told, it never really happens.

I’ve not seen you at a club race in 4 years.  I doubt you even own a push bike anymore 

Guest FFF1077
2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Can the 90km rides be done at 4am in the rain as hill repeats? Asking for a friend 

Nup. 

Only on the trainer 

14 hours ago, Peter said:

I’ve not seen you at a club race in 4 years.  I doubt you even own a push bike anymore 

Yep, it's all fake. And that wasn't me who rode past you this morning., wave next time you rude pr&ck! 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Yep, it's all fake. And that wasn't me who rode past you this morning., wave next time you rude pr&ck! 

really?  Where?  

I got to start in an early wave for the Easter Weekend Challenge. 1.9km swim done in 36:35 and I am into T1.

1610799241_Swim1_9km.png.4e47258d640b4ff1ee94a81d652b043f.png

Observations:
1) Crappy GPS running watch is not very good for measuring swim distances.
2) I was pretty slow in the Granville pool but passed the guy with the flippers doing dog-paddle at least 5 times. 

• Like 2

Early start for me too. 81 km ride before work (3.30am alarm). Looking to fit it a swim tonight. Then the real stuff starts. 

FM

3 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Early start for me too. 81 km ride before work (3.30am alarm). Looking to fit it a swim tonight. Then the real stuff starts. 

FM

Doesnt count.  you need 90k  ;) 

24 minutes ago, Flanman said:

FM

You need to read APs thread about not trying to cram over Easter...

• Like 1

Pool hours this weekend for the Sydney inner west-ish / north-west-ish area...

Sydney Olympic Park - Closed all four days

Macquarie Uni - Closed Friday, open Saturday/Sunday/Monday 6:00 - 18:45 (I swear I saw they were closed Sunday though - maybe double check)

Epping (Dense Park) - Closed Friday, open Saturday/Sunday/(probably) Monday 8:00 - 12:00

Ryde - Closed Friday, open Saturday/Sunday/Monday 9:00 - 17:45 (as usual in 25m mode the whole time) 

Cabarita - Closed Friday, open Sat/Sun/Mon 8:00 - 18:30

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, toolex said:

Pool hours this weekend for the Sydney inner west-ish / north-west-ish area...

Sydney Olympic Park - Closed all four days

Macquarie Uni - Closed Friday, open Saturday/Sunday/Monday 6:00 - 18:45 (I swear I saw they were closed Sunday though - maybe double check)

Epping (Dense Park) - Closed Friday, open Saturday/Sunday/(probably) Monday 8:00 - 12:00

Ryde - Closed Friday, open Saturday/Sunday/Monday 9:00 - 17:45 (as usual in 25m mode the whole time) 

Cabarita - Closed Friday, open Sat/Sun/Mon 8:00 - 18:30

west pymble is open 7am to 6pm except Good Friday  https://www.ymcansw.org.au/centres/ku-ring-gai-fitness-aquatic-centre/

Narabbeen ocean pool or Fresh water are both worth a visit, and wetsuit practise

A few beers and a bit of a snooze in T1. And the bike leg begins. Bike done in 3:45:42 including 1 water stop at caltex.

image.thumb.png.ce4ac10d62bf16f747af255476156a6b.png

Maybe should have picked a flatter course. Still, no drafting, no road rage, and beautiful smooth road out to West Head.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ok I’m giving this a go! More for motivation and to get back into it after a few quiet weeks so my times will be slooow 😆 and run will be a mixture of run/walk. 

90km zwift ride, 3:18. 

ETA: flat course 

Edited by emski
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 18/04/2019 at 12:19 PM, Peter said:

Doesnt count.  you need 90k  ;) 

16 kms really hilly run today then catch up with the kids and grandson as they cannot make it for Easter. Saw at least a dozen kangaroos on the run plus a spectacular view across Camden from the lookout .

I am working on a combined workout  

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Surfer said:

Well done Emski 👏

Thanks Surfer!! 

• Like 1

Last leg of Easter Challenge 70.3 run and done. 21.2km in 1:52:32.

run.thumb.png.6b99b0ef56729340f551bfaa331826a2.png

Caught the end of the Parramatta Park run and the show pony came out in me. My 5:20 - 5:25min/km pace dropped down to 5min/km as I passed the walkers and pram pushers in kms 18 to 20.

Thanks for the challenge Peter. Turned a potentially lazy weekend into quite a healthy one (so far). ☺️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was thinking about doing a 5150 weekend, but after falling to pieces on the bike today, I might have to wait to see if I can get a bit more leg fitness back. :(

100 km ride this morning. Found a nice little hill just off the M7 cycleway that is about the length and rise of MFH. Good to do at the 85 km mark.

FM 

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1

Challenge abandoned. Started to sneeze yesterday arvo then runny nose. Headache last night. Can’t stop nose dribbling. Looks like a rest week now. Shit. 

FM

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

Challenge abandoned. Started to sneeze yesterday arvo then runny nose. Headache last night. Can’t stop nose dribbling. Looks like a rest week now. Shit. 

FM

You know you can't get any fitter now - you can only get fresher 😪

• Like 1

15k run this morning. Group stopped for coffee. As did I.  Never started again. 

2-90-15 it is. 

Edited by Peter

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

15k run this morning. Group stopped for coffee. As did I.  Never started again. 

2-90-15 it is. 

Isn't that about where your half Ironmans end 😏 I've gotta go now - lots of work to do

Edited by AP

1 hour ago, AP said:

Isn't that about where your half Ironmans end 😏 I've gotta go now - lots of work to do

Didn’t think you used sarcasm? 

I'm also a DNS/DNF on this one. The guy that sits next to me at work was coughing and sneezing on Thursday and I woke up with it on Saturday. This week is a deload week for me this week so decided to play it smart.

• Sad 1

I’m a dnf 😩 1 year old who is teething hardcore and isn’t sleeping has resulted in very little happening this weekend. 

Thanks for the challenge though @Peter! I wouldn’t have ridden 90km on Fri without it. Now to get to the pool and go for a run at least once this week and I’ll be very happy with that 👍🏼

• Like 1

On 20/04/2019 at 5:51 PM, flathead said:

Last leg of Easter Challenge 70.3 run and done. 21.2km in 1:52:32.

run.thumb.png.6b99b0ef56729340f551bfaa331826a2.png

Caught the end of the Parramatta Park run and the show pony came out in me. My 5:20 - 5:25min/km pace dropped down to 5min/km as I passed the walkers and pram pushers in kms 18 to 20.

Thanks for the challenge Peter. Turned a potentially lazy weekend into quite a healthy one (so far). ☺️

Yeow well done! 

Thanks for the challenge Peter. I was never even thinking about the ride or run, but it got me out to up my distance in the swim to make the 1.9km, with a 2.05km swim this morning. I'm very happy with that. 

On top of that, even though I never attempted the HIM distance in the ride/run, it did get me thinking about getting on the bike, so I now have this under my belt. :)

image.thumb.png.a52d8dfa03077cd0c7e4348d9c9b909a.png

As piddly as the ride may be, it's 1/10 of an IM ride, and it's the longest I've ridden since June.

Thanks Peter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1