Toolish

Tight Achilles and Calves

Every morning I wake up with really tight Achilles and calves, even if I have not done much exercise.  Running makes it tight the next morning, and starting a run my calves and Achilles feel really tight but once warmed up they feel ok.

I have very poor flexibility through that area and up into my hamstring so I assume that plays into it.

Is the fix, stretching, strengthening, rolling, all of the above?

Any suggestions welcome!

I have exactly the same issue and find stretching, strengthening and rolling all help considerably.

Good luck with it

NSF

Sounds a lot like Achilles Tendinopathy (particularly the feeling worst when you wake up, easing when you run, but sore after)... from memory there's a lot of other posts about 'fixes' for this - but yes, rest, ice and rolling / strengthening will help if that is indeed what it is... I've had it quite a few times, and usually have managed to get it to go away, but be careful as it can linger around for a long time if you just try and 'push through' it...

1 hour ago, Toolish said:

Every morning I wake up with really tight Achilles and calves, even if I have not done much exercise.  Running makes it tight the next morning, and starting a run my calves and Achilles feel really tight but once warmed up they feel ok.

I have very poor flexibility through that area and up into my hamstring so I assume that plays into it.

Is the fix, stretching, strengthening, rolling, all of the above?

Any suggestions welcome!

Yes - If I get tightness in my calves its usually because hamstrings and hips are also tight.  Rolling and stretching hips and hamstrings always seems to relieve calves.

Do you have an office job, sitting down all day?

4 hours ago, ironpo said:

What sort of stretching has helped ?

For me it is lower back, glutes, hamstrings and of course the calf itself.

NSF

Sounds a lot like Achilles Tendinopathy 

Yep - had this on and off for years.  Currently not running as it flaired up bad.  Can you feel any lumps on you tendon?  The good old Alfredson protocol, eccentric raises etc etc.  Start working on your calves - they are often neglected

On 27/03/2019 at 10:55 AM, AJS said:

Sounds a lot like Achilles Tendinopathy (particularly the feeling worst when you wake up, easing when you run, but sore after)... from memory there's a lot of other posts about 'fixes' for this - but yes, rest, ice and rolling / strengthening will help if that is indeed what it is... I've had it quite a few times, and usually have managed to get it to go away, but be careful as it can linger around for a long time if you just try and 'push through' it...

Have had that in the past, but only on one side and more specific to the Achilles, this seems more of a general tightness up into the calves.  May be the same thing presenting a little differently though.

On 27/03/2019 at 11:07 AM, Coach@triathlon said:

try different running and work shoes. stopped 5 years of calf and achilles problems for me overnight.

Have changed work shoes, and I reckon that removed my acute achilles issues I was having, calf tightness has been an issue for me since Noah built the ark.

On 27/03/2019 at 11:58 AM, zed said:

Do you have an office job, sitting down all day?

Did have for 10 years, not for the last 9 months or so.  Average 10,000-12,000 steps a day outside of planned exercise.

11 hours ago, symo said:

Yep - had this on and off for years.  Currently not running as it flaired up bad.  Can you feel any lumps on you tendon?  The good old Alfredson protocol, eccentric raises etc etc.  Start working on your calves - they are often neglected

No lumps.  What is the Alfredson protocol, and yes my calves and hamstrings are neglected!

When I tore my atfl my physio said that my calf was always tight and he gave me this self massage to do.

Lay on the bed on all fours with your foot hanging off the bed. Take your other leg and bring it around behind you and dig your knee into your calf. Find a sore spot and hold it there until it releases.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cranky said:

When I tore my atfl my physio said that my calf was always tight and he gave me this self massage to do.

Lay on the bed on all fours with your foot hanging off the bed. Take your other leg and bring it around behind you and dig your knee into your calf. Find a sore spot and hold it there until it releases.

I think we need a pic of you doing this cranky

• Haha 1

Alfredson protocol has been superseded by isometrics and heavy slow calf raises (straight and bent). Best to be guided through this properly.

In reality any form of strengthening will help, but the eccentric emphasis of the Alfredson protocol isn't best matched with trying to continue to run/play sport, best as offseason rehab. Depending the site of tendon pain, the exercise range of movement and start/stop position matters as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What would you do with someone who has both insertional Achilles tendinosis and plantar fasciitis?  Exercises for both seem to counter each other!

30 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

What would you do with someone who has both insertional Achilles tendinosis and plantar fasciitis?  Exercises for both seem to counter each other!

Look at your big toe

• Confused 1

Alfredson protocol has been superseded by isometrics and heavy slow calf raises (straight and bent). Best to be guided through this properly.

Did these and it all went pear shaped very fast - back to Alfredson and improving now.   Mind you I aint running at the moment.

On 01/04/2019 at 11:18 AM, symo said:

Did these and it all went pear shaped very fast - back to Alfredson and improving now.   Mind you I aint running at the moment.

depending on where your pain is the range of movement is important, stretch the tendon under load too much and you can make it angry. Insertional is different to mid tendon, is different to plantar fascia. And some people just don't respond predictably.

On 31/03/2019 at 10:25 AM, BogFrog said:

Yep, tricky, stretching calf can help plantar fascia but annoy insertional achilles. Would look at isometric loading in almost tip-toe position and try using the Fasciitis Fighter to load up the plantar fascia. Tricky balancing act.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Parkside said:

Yep, tricky, stretching calf can help plantar fascia but annoy insertional achilles. Would look at isometric loading in almost tip-toe position and try using the Fasciitis Fighter to load up the plantar fascia. Tricky balancing act.

would you recommend wearing stilletos around the house?

1 hour ago, Coach@triathlon said:

Only if you wear the stockings and suspenders to go with them. And nothing else

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/04/2019 at 1:15 PM, Coach@triathlon said:

If you have insertional achilles problems, yes. Wearing heels for a boot with a heel for men can help, likewise getting out of zero drop running shoes

I can confirm that wearing a small heel (1.5 - 2 inches) gets rid of the pain for both the PF and the Achilles and gives both a chance to recover before donning the running shoes and buggering it all up again 🙄

• Haha 1

It’s very community minded of you to test that for our benefit BF.