AP

AP's training tip #2

24 minutes ago, AP said:

My training programs are usually all morning sessions so that life in the evenings can be as "normal as possible" the only exceptions are for tradies or people who have to start real early 

I rarely ever train in the evening - I like to keep 24hrs between sessions for maximum recovery time 😎

Great, but my whole comment started in reference to the doctor who was working long hours and training twice a day. I stand by my comment that this would only be achievable single, or if you had a partner/family at their detriment.

1 hour ago, more said:

That's great, but everyone has a different idea of quality. My father worked relentlessly when I was growing up, we have followed his lead and we are all a very successful family. BUT TBH there are a lot of times I really wish he spent more time with us and I have had my family say the same to me. 

I'm not going to make that mistake- family comes first and then if there is time left for training then great.

Training in the morning is easy. But then working until 6, doing a second session and not getting home until 8ish is just selfish in my opinion. Sure you can act like a hero and say you have fit it all in, your kids will probably turn out o.k and be successful and if you are o.k with that then good for you. 

I work with CEO's and GM's who are all extremely successful and manage to squeeze everything in. But I guarantee you the kids come second whether they like to admit it or not. 

Hopefully when the kids get older we can train together, then family time is also training time.

THIS IS PERFECT AND SUMS UP HOW I FEEL ABOUT IRONMAN RACING.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, prizna said:

What do you consider the difference between an excuse and a reason? A reason is when you own something — a problem, a solution — to justify your actions, whether positive or negative. An excuse is when you give up ownership of a problem or solution.

An excuse is a non valid reason.

Saying you don't have time to train whilst watching two hours of TV a night is an excuse.

Saying you don't have time to train whilst spending two hours of quality time with your family is a reason.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, more said:

Great, but my whole comment started in reference to the doctor who was working long hours and training twice a day. I stand by my comment that this would only be achievable single, or if you had a partner/family at their detriment.

Just like Trump & Anthony Mundine. You can't disagree with him or have a different opinion.

Questioning others priorities is one of the things that has always pissed me off about triathlon and triathletes. 

In the cold hard light of day we all know that 99% of the time, the result is a reflection of the time and effort put into the training and if you own that and are happy with that then that is all that matters. 

Sure, if you don't train and complain about the result then you are a goose, but apart from that, live and let live. 

If winning plastic trophies is important to you, then great, knock yourself out. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Organized dinner out with my wife & friends via text messages while stopped at the lights. 

That is actually still illegal. 

Just now, Turts said:

That is actually still illegal. 

I've done it before. I actually got complemented by the cop who saw it. If you stop at the light, jump off the road and make the text, then get back on the road after it it's perfectly legal. I don't know if that's what B@W did, but it's what I do.

2 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I was unclipped but that’s it. You are right it was probably illegal. If I got caught I would have paid the fine.

You could have made an excuse. :)

Or told the officer you were a triathlete.

11 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I was unclipped but that’s it. You are right it was probably illegal. If I got caught I would have paid the fine.

nah this is fine. If however you were riding, its against the law.  

Then again, its not like you never car drivers texting whilst driving.  At least you were stopped and unclipped.

57 minutes ago, prizna said:

What do you consider the difference between an excuse and a reason? A reason is when you own something — a problem, a solution — to justify your actions, whether positive or negative. An excuse is when you give up ownership of a problem or solution.

I don't debate that but so many don't take ownership of the facts.

Reason and excuse.

You're a cock. For the safety of others please do not do this, before you attempt to justify it as being okay because you're stopped. It is not. 

Hey Prizna.

Fair call, I'll stop it & had already made a decision not to do it.

Out of intrest, you seem to have a strong opinion on excuses etc.  What was the last Ironman you raced & how did you fit it in around family & work.

53 minutes ago, more said:

Saying you don't have time to train whilst watching two hours of TV a night is an excuse.

Unless there's a show about fly-fishing in NZ on, then it's a reason 😁

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, roxii said:

Questioning others priorities is one of the things that has always pissed me off about triathlon and triathletes. 

In the cold hard light of day we all know that 99% of the time, the result is a reflection of the time and effort put into the training and if you own that and are happy with that then that is all that matters. 

Sure, if you don't train and complain about the result then you are a goose, but apart from that, live and let live. 

If winning plastic trophies is important to you, then great, knock yourself out. 

This.

Only most don't even get the plastic trophies. :lol:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nealo said:

This.

Only most don't even get the plastic trophies. :lol:

They just don't want it bad enough and are too busy making excuses...

47 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Sorry, I thought you were in the car. 

On the bike, I guess a picky cop could technically get you, but not sure. 

The rule for cars is pulled doff the road engine off (ie, not in control of the vehicle).  Unclipped would suffice?   Dunno.  But my mistake. 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

f winning plastic trophies is important to you, then great, knock yourself out. 

How about plastic fruitboowls made in China? Surely thats everyones goal

10 minutes ago, more said:

They just don't want it bad enough and are too busy making excuses...

Finally welcome to transitions.

Basically if you can't qualify for Kona, you just don't want it bad enough. 

Despite getting into the sport because you like doing triathlons, you should only do 2-3 races all year. Preferably the same ones year in year out.

It's okay get have a toxic marriage or no partner at all and get to Kona because you know, the sport only exists if you qualify for Kona.

You can't get a rolldown for Kona, simply put, you didn't really qualify.

If you don't win in Kona that's okay as long as you looked fresh crossing the finishline and can walk to lava java the next day for your soy latte.

You also have to pretend you work 40 hours a week and have no time to train however you are often seen at the pool at 2pm when most people are back in the office. And you've done an extra 100K ride that morning with other fulltime workers that just happen to never work wednesday mornings.

Oh and the biggest thing of all, if you get beaten by some new guy/girl that no one has heard about before, he/she is clearly a drug cheat.

Where's the sarcastic ;)

Edited by Peter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Finally welcome to transitions.

It doesn't matter what post is put up the same people dig into it to find some fault - something that allows them to continue doing what they do and feel good about it - I understand the process and will continue to post tips that can enhance the triathlon experience and longevity of those who are interested, based on what I have learned in 32yrs competing and coaching - the fleas will not change anything 😎

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AP said:

It doesn't matter what post is put up the same people dig into it to find some fault - something that allows them to continue doing what they do and feel good about it - I understand the process and will continue to post tips that can enhance the triathlon experience and longevity of those who are interested, based on what I have learned in 32yrs competing and coaching - the fleas will not change anything 😎

I just stated the exact truth.  Some people don't like the truth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Hey Prizna.

Fair call, I'll stop it & had already made a decision not to do it.

Out of intrest, you seem to have a strong opinion on excuses etc.  What was the last Ironman you raced & how did you fit it in around family & work.

I'll retract my 'cock' statement. I assumed you were driving, still possibly illegal but not worthy of 'cock' status. My apologies.

My last Ironman was Busselton last year, I raced my best executed Ironman to date. My circumstances were below

I was working in PNG for the 6 months prior to Busso. I had a lot of restrictions on locations I could go and hours I was permitted outside the compound. My family commitments were merely a skype call home and a few return trips to Aus.

I wasn't allowed outside the security gates before 5am, doesn't sound too bad but this meant doing long runs after the sun came up when it frequently was beyond 33 degrees and 90% humidity. I had a 4km stretch of 'road' that I could run on, I did my longest run of 2.5hrs on this stretch.

I couldn't ride outside because safety and routes weren't practical. I chose to ride indoors. I chose to do my Saturday bricks on a 500m out and back stretch because it was midday and I needed litres of water to survive.

Swimming I had a pool but it frequently closed because staff didn't turn up to open it or the staff responsible for maintaining it didn't turn up so it went green. Rules regarding travel and timings meant there was limited times I could swim, I got it done.

I had a treadmill which I used a lot however was rather inconsistent, the power supply in PNG isn't the best so it frequently cut out mid runs, I dealt with it.

I averaged 60 hours of work per week for the 6 months and was on call 24/7. I worked shifts that were midnight to midday, midday to midnight, 7am to 5pm, 3pm to midnight a lot of variations. It was preparations for APEC, it was a high demand environment.

I've been told there was plenty of reasons I may not have trained and to not do well at Busselton, I don't/didn't see any. I went 9:40, 6th AG and Kona rolled to 7th. I'm about to do a Kona build in a Canberra winter plenty of cold excuse filled reasons to not train.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, prizna said:

I'll retract my 'cock' statement. I assumed you were driving, still possibly illegal but not worthy of 'cock' status. My apologies.

No worries Michael.

37 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

No worries Michael.

I feel like this is a vague attempt to doxx or have me retreat in fear of people knowing my name, so whilst you're at it why not swing us follow on insta www.instagram.com/michaelentwist 😘

9 minutes ago, prizna said:

I feel like this is a vague attempt to doxx or have me retreat in fear of people knowing my name, so whilst you're at it why not swing us follow on insta www.instagram.com/michaelentwist 😘

Done.

Do you photoshop those photos? You don't look anywhere near as fat on Insta as you do here.

And looking forward to seeing you race at Kona. Well done on the KQ.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

8 minutes ago, prizna said:

No not at all. Plenty of ppl on this forum hide behind their usernames. I just like taking the piss out of ppl.

A bit like ppl claiming they work on the tools but post all day. 

Back in the late 80s and early 90s there was a very well known married couple of top end triathletes in Perth.

Every Saturday morning was a long hills ride which started at the old Raffles Hotel at exactly 6.00am.

The husband who was a legend here called the shots on the ride......at some stage he and his wife separated .

The Saturday after the separation we were about 10 k into the ride and I was on the front with the husband who is a good mate of mine when all of a sudden the ex wife rolls up alongside yelling at him about why we didn't wait for her as she was only 5 mins late and what a prick he was for not waiting.

He looked at her then looked at me then said pull up and stop.

So we now have 25 riders stopped and he says to everyone that she is now going to apologise to everyone and explain why her time is more important than anyone elses and how we all should have waited for her, for who knows how long, for her to MAYBE turn up.

That is a Harsh but true storey.........she was never late again....neither was anyone else.!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Triatx said:

Back in the late 80s and early 90s there was a very well known married couple of top end triathletes in Perth.

Every Saturday morning was a long hills ride which started at the old Raffles Hotel at exactly 6.00am.

The husband who was a legend here called the shots on the ride......at some stage he and his wife separated .

The Saturday after the separation we were about 10 k into the ride and I was on the front with the husband who is a good mate of mine when all of a sudden the ex wife rolls up alongside yelling at him about why we didn't wait for her as she was only 5 mins late and what a prick he was for not waiting.

He looked at her then looked at me then said pull up and stop.

So we now have 25 riders stopped and he says to everyone that she is now going to apologise to everyone and explain why her time is more important than anyone elses and how we all should have waited for her, for who knows how long, for her to MAYBE turn up.

That is a Harsh but true storey.........she was never late again....neither was anyone else.!!!!!!!

They sound like a perfect pair...both pricks

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, more said:

They sound like a perfect pair...both triathletes

FTFY :lol:

• Haha 2

People have different goals coming into triathlon - its never generic. One of the enjoyments of coaching without being encumbered by the need for financial reward is you can choose who you want to coach.

I enjoy coaching people that enjoy the sport and the moment each session. It's more social for us, with a stand up comedy act during the session, and a good workout is covered. Some race ironman and some sprint, some do those long run in the bush things, and others come for fitness. either way it is healthy and meaningful.

Triathlon has an underbelly with the absurd constructs of Ironman elitism and how many age group wins you have or Kona qualifications. To be fair most of it just resides in small amounts on forums and in white middle aged males minds. I go to races regularly and never come across some of the arguing over who commits the most hours, dead beat parenting, discipline, and balance - those that actually enjoy triathlon do it - enjoy it - and are egalitarian live and let live.

AP lost me at the 401 ease up at 390 metre analogy - geezuz really?

Edited by Coach@triathlon

Guest FFF1077
1 hour ago, prizna said:

Well said 😎👌

20 minutes ago, Coach@triathlon said:

People have different goals coming into triathlon - its never generic. One of the enjoyments of coaching without being encumbered by the need for financial reward is you can choose who you want to coach.

I enjoy coaching people that enjoy the sport and the moment each session. It's more social for us, with a stand up comedy act during the session, and a good workout is covered. Some race ironman and some sprint, some do those long run in the bush things, and others come for fitness. either way it is healthy and meaningful.

Triathlon has an underbelly with the absurd constructs of Ironman elitism and how many age group wins you have or Kona qualifications. To be fair most of it just resides in small amounts on forums and in white middle aged males minds. I go to races regularly and never come across some of the arguing over who commits the most hours, dead beat parenting, discipline, and balance - those that actually enjoy triathlon do it - enjoy it - and are egalitarian live and let live.

GOLD. Thankyou for posting.

2 hours ago, Triatx said:

Back in the late 80s and early 90s there was a very well known married couple of top end triathletes in Perth..............

Not picking one side over the other, but I'm surprised he didn't move the ride start time 30mins earlier and neglect to tell her about it!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, prizna said:

Kudos on getting all that work done while over seas with all those barriers and finding a way to get it done. On top of that having your wife and kids not with you while letting you have time to train, is a very challenging thing.

Did you use training to take your mind of that

9 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Kudos on getting all that work done while over seas with all those barriers and finding a way to get it done. On top of that having your wife and kids not with you while letting you have time to train, is a very challenging thing.

When I was travelling I used it to keep me out of the pubs.

6 hours ago, prizna said:

I wasn't allowed outside the security gates before 5am, doesn't sound too bad but this meant doing long runs after the sun came up when it frequently was beyond 33 degrees and 90% humidity. I had a 4km stretch of 'road' that I could run on, I did my longest run of 2.5hrs on this stretch.

I thought you might have done some runs inside the Yacht Club in Moresby......

FM

46 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Agree. I’m working 12hr days at the moment & have no idea how you train for an Ironman with those hours. Driving to & from work. Sleeping 7hours a night it only leaves about 4 hours a day free. Then there is ironing, getting lunch ready,  walking the dog and talking to my girls. I’m struggling to get in a ride each day. 

Prizna, do you have a coach? Use training peaks etc or just do what you can when you can. 

6 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

... Then there is ironing,...

What’s ironing?

Is this some new specific training term?😜

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Agree. I’m working 12hr days at the moment & have no idea how you train for an Ironman with those hours. Driving to & from work. Sleeping 7hours a night it only leaves about 4 hours a day free. Then there is ironing, getting lunch ready,  walking the dog and talking to my girls. I’m struggling to get in a ride each day. 

Prizna, do you have a coach? Use training peaks etc or just do what you can when you can. 

And trannies time

17 hours ago, ironpo said:

(plus nobugger will ever come with me due to the hrs I go at )

I betcha I would.

13 hours ago, AP said:

My training programs are usually all morning sessions so that life in the evenings can be as "normal as possible" the only exceptions are for tradies or people who have to start real early 

I rarely ever train in the evening - I like to keep 24hrs between sessions for maximum recovery time 😎

Erin Baker said in 1994 - re: training. If it doesn't get done before midday....it doesn't get done.

PS: These were here last few years and after she had kids.

9 hours ago, Coach@triathlon said:

There is method in the madness. It goes deeper that just going harder for an extra few metres. Ask Wayne Bennett!

15 hours ago, more said:

I work with CEO's and GM's who are all extremely successful and manage to squeeze everything in. But I guarantee you the kids come second whether they like to admit it or not. 

Maybe refer them to AP, just politely though.  He will redefine what success is for them and teach them the importance of family but they have to want it, they have to have the eye of the tiger to change. 

13 hours ago, roxii said:

Heh Rox, it’s the 1% that matters..... lol

15 hours ago, The Customer said:

I have no idea how you could be 50mins late for a 1hr turbo session.

Sounds smart to me. Very smart. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Erin Baker said in 1994 - re: training. If it doesn't get done before midday....it doesn't get done.

PS: These were here last few years and after she had kids.

for me in the week if it does not get done at lunch and in the evening it does not get done. Descriptive versus prescriptive thinking.

Everyone's lives are different. I can hit the trainer session after the kids have had dinner and are winding down after bed. I thne get good sleep. 

Running I can run trail without risking rolling ankles in the dark. I operate much better with really good sleep.

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

There is method in the madness. It goes deeper that just going harder for an extra few metres. Ask Wayne Bennett!

Think he was observing on 400m intervals some people always ease up 10 metres from the end while there are others who only wind down at 401.

The 401 people are made of the right stuff. People who think and do exactly as I (I being who ever is posting) are the best and made of the right stuff.

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

. I can hit the trainer session after the kids have had dinner and are winding down after bed. I then get good sleep. 

I am a morning and lunch person.  But I did a trainer last night at 7:30 after Miss 6 went to bed and I was awake all night.  Not again.  Back to 5:30 bike sessions

Checked with my 6 year old asked him if he cared if I win.

he said we love you daddy and you are the best, we want high fives cuddles and presents. 

• Like 1