Tyno

Laundry Appliances?

Looks like we're nearly due for replacement things.

Anyone got recent experience with new washing machine/dryer.

Better half is contemplating one of the 2 in 1 jobbies, but I'd need some convincing.

Thoughts on them or just new washer/dryers in general?

If you get a two in one, how are you suppose to dry a load while washing another, while drying while washing while drying while washing???

If you go separates then I can recommend the Bosch heat pump dryer.  We do “a Lot” of drying and washing (all our clinic linen which means at least once a day, often two loads a day worth). Hasn’t missed a beat in 3 years - the huge drop in our electricity bill from the old dryer was a bit of a pleasant shock.  Other benefit is that it doesn’t steam up the laundry if you don’t have windows to the outside.

• Like 1

We haven't got a heat pump dryer, but I agree on the quality of the Bosch. We got a Bosch front load machine and a dryer, and they've been great. We went for upper mid range, as the washer gets used every day, and I think it was worth it.

Our personal experience with Fischer & Pykel is that we will never touch one again.  2 of the front loaders both ceased operation just out of warranty, repairs where more than replacement costs

Mind you, these were replacements for my top loading Simpson washer that was already 10 years old when my now wife and I moved in together.  It got handed onto her younger sister who is still using it.  Why we needed to buy 3 washers to replace one that is still going fine after 25 years with no maintenance is a totally different topic....

Bought a Bosch iDOS because I know s*t about these things and wanted something that just works and hopefully last for years.

Expensive, and I suspect it's the Apple approach to buying washing machines, but so far so good.

I subscribe to Choice and always read the reviews before a purchase.

Choice reviewed washer/dryer combo's. Models from  Samsung, Bosch and LG were rated highly. Even if you are not a member I think that you can just buy a single report. Might be a good investment if you are going to drop $1000-$2000 on a machine.

6 hours ago, goughy said:

If you get a two in one, how are you suppose to dry a load while washing another, while drying while washing while drying while washing???

This is kind of what I asked. Either we have to get more organised and not just do a billion loads on the weekend or we need 2 appliances. 

3 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Our personal experience with Fischer & Pykel is that we will never touch one again. 

One of the appliance stores is doing a brand special on them at the moment. Good to know. 

6 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

If you go separates then I can recommend the Bosch heat pump dryer.  

Heat pump drier did make the provisional list. Currently chocking the laundry door open to keep the floor from turning into a pool. 

Wrists special about a heat pump dryer?  Don't know about them.  

Don't get an upright washing machine without the vertical pole thing in the middle.

We've got one without it and it literally ties my work shirts into knots!

Heat pump dryers are the equivalent of inverter air conditioners.  Way lower running costs.  The Bosch also have a model which collects the moisture in a tray or you can have it plumbed into your existing sink.  We went the tray route.  

So does that mean you don't need to leave the laundry door open?  

Maybe have to go that route next time.  Is use or dryer at least 4 to 6 times a week, at least!

This is a reasonable explanation of the basic concept.

It's a variant on the refrigeration cycle, where the cold side is used to condense the water and the hot side used to re-heat the air, minimizing energy loss.

We bought a Bosch heat pump dryer about a year ago to replace the old unit that died. Went for the heat pump type because they really are way more energy efficient and it does not create heat/humidity in the laundry. This one also drains to the laundry sink, so no need to empty a water reservoir. It also uses an air moisture sensor to work out how long it needs to run for rather operate for a fixed time. It's way better tech than the old school tumble dryers.

So despite buying "the best", over the past year it's been giving me the shits, just not drying clothes properly. Didn't seem to matter what setting I used or what the drying level indicator was set at (the wardrobe icon settings).

The better half was less concerned, seemed to think it was OK. It wasn't really (caused a few minor disagreements) and the other week after taking out another yet not properly dry load I cracked the shits and started researching issues, fully expecting to give Bosch an earful and to get a different unit.

That's when I discovered deep in the user manual a small section called "fine tuning" - a setting to adjust the drying level. Why the F they just can't call it "drying level" rather than "fine tuning" I have no idea. Has 4 levels, zero to 3 stars. I set it to 2 stars and finally the clothes are now properly dry, warm n toasty! So after a year of cursing, the bloody thing is now doing what a clothes dryer should - dry clothes. Bosch help line was saved a customer complaint. I went back through the manual and it's not even mentioned in the troubleshooting section for when clothes are not dry.

I do find the touch button system annoying. A lot of the time it doesn't register me touching the start "button". Then on the 3rd or 4th time it might start.

That said, we use the clothes line whenever we can. That is the most energy efficient method.

• Haha 3

Have a Asko T784hp heat pump drier which is very good. Wife is a big fan. 

Me me I prefer, have covered deck so does 95% of the drying 

925405ED-2C46-4439-BD2A-E5D1A26EA3F7.jpeg

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

Wife is a big fan. 

If she's a big fan, why not just hang the clothes in front of her?

images (8).jpeg

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

It also uses an air moisture sensor to work out how long it needs to run for rather operate for a fixed time. It's way better tech than the old school tumble dryers.

Most conventional dryers that aren't entry level have this as well. I've never bought one that doesn't have it.

4 hours ago, nealo said:

Most conventional dryers that aren't entry level have this as well. I've never bought one that doesn't have it.

Just shows how long since I bought a dryer!