Jump to content
Bored@work

What Ironman do you want back?

Recommended Posts

The no Ironman Frankston thread go me thinking? What Ironman would you like back.

For me it would be

Lake Tahoe

Los Cabos

St George

Regensburg

I'm also a bit annoyed that Ironman Phillipines was only for one year. I'm dissapointed I missed out on that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IM UK moved back to Sherbourne.  

Nobody wants to go to northern Eng, not even northerners!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did Lake Tahoe and thought it was great, it had the weather issues plague it and it was a hard bike course so didn’t draw huge numbers.

 

bring back Forster! Maybe as a one off for say 40 year anniversary.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

I did Lake Tahoe and thought it was great, it had the weather issues plague it and it was a hard bike course so didn’t draw huge numbers.

 

bring back Forster! Maybe as a one off for say 40 year anniversary.

Tahoe is amazing. I'm thinking of heading there for a relay swim across the lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Tahoe is amazing. I'm thinking of heading there for a relay swim across the lake.

Yep

 

EE1907A9-00E8-4D4A-8CA0-124B88999863.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flanman said:

No IM but Sri Chinmiy Long Course In Canberra. One of my favourite races. 

FM

Yeah  I miss that one too. Good honest race. Had some great post race parties at that race.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Triple M Ironman at Akuna Bay.  I never did it but it would be great to have ticked that one off. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Challenge Batesman Bay was my first HIM and a gorgeous location, was disappointed it did go strong over the years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume nobody is keen on Ballarat 226.  I'm not, although Chuck maybe resurrecting it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the double for Me  Ironman Frankston still on now. And the alternative Ironman world championship 226 Ballarat. The people's favorite. I am always having Challenge Roth asking myself for advice. 😀

Edited by Chuckie M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

World Cup Triathlon 1989 Course (3/130/30)

Canberra Half - on the course that Nick set in 2001. 

Canberra Half - on the fast course Nick set in 2000 

Sri Chinmoy Peace Triathlon

Calalla Bay Half

Royal National Park Tri

Nepean Tri original course

Nike Sprint Series ...

 

okey okey, I’ve gone off piste.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Penticton

Forster

The original IM California at Camp Pendleton, the one with the 2.4 nautical mile swim course, measured to within millimeters by the U.S. Marine Corps (it never occurred to the Marines that anyone would want to use statute miles on water, and no one thought to tell them :-).

Edited by steve
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Great race. Or anything Barry Voevadin.

Trimarq summer and winter series in Melbourne. They used to have Wednesday night racing at Summer in Port Melbourne. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2019 at 9:07 AM, GSP said:

I assume nobody is keen on Ballarat 226.  I'm not, although Chuck maybe resurrecting it.

Ahhhh, the memories ..... where to start? Promises of 1,400 entrants, drought reducing the lake to a walk, paying the life savers in cash before they would go out, random course changes, unsafe course, no medical aid, RD going missing, post-race feed in the Park Hotel afterwards as the caterers didn't get paid .....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't think the course was unsafe – bike circuit was closed (except for the extra 2km to the arch and back), the run was off street (except for the connector between the lake and the park, and the bit to the finish of the arch, which was also extra distance they didn't charge extra for 🙂 ). If you ran into trouble on the swim, you just stood up. But remember the bike turnaround, where the kids running the aid station were cooking hot dogs on the asphalt? I did not need a graphic reminder of how cooked I was. Yeah there was a lot that went sideways, but it was absolutely worth doing. Made some great friends that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IM Melbourne, purely logistically it is the closest to me and that made it a lot cheaper which was a deciding factor in me being able to do an IM.  If it was still on I may have done more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Toolish said:

IM Melbourne, purely logistically it is the closest to me and that made it a lot cheaper which was a deciding factor in me being able to do an IM.  If it was still on I may have done more.

I actually agree.  I'd even be happy with Geelong as an Ironman.  I honesly just can't justify airfares, accom, food, etc... and entry.  But if it was local and was maybe 1 night accom and I could drive there with food in a esky, well, I could be tempted to do number 11.

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Ironman Hawaii in Oahu

They still do that. 

The one that's more interesting if people wanted to do the Kona course is this http://www.teammango.org/monster_map_rules.html

And it's only $130 and accommodation is cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2019 at 6:16 PM, Peter said:

Triple M Ironman at Akuna Bay.  I never did it but it would be great to have ticked that one off. 

+2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/03/2019 at 11:15 AM, Peter said:

The one that's more interesting if people wanted to do the Kona course is this http://www.teammango.org/monster_map_rules.html

 And it's only $130 and accommodation is cheaper.

Hmmm. The run is a two lap affair. I’m not sure it has the same feel as doing the actual race course. I’m not so concerned about the two lap swim or the fairly minor course changes to the bike, but the “essence” of the course is compromised by the run. Otherwise, I’d be up for that event.

 

i wonder if WTC are missing an opportunity here: run an early season Ironman over the same course in February (which is when the first 5 Ironman races were run as well). $100K prize money for a small pro field, plus 2000+ age groupers. 

Edited by Andrew #1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forster was fun.  The course used to give you a good look where AP was.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

 

i wonder if WTC are missing an opportunity here: run an early season Ironman over the same course in February (which is when the first 5 Ironman races were run as well). $100K prize money for a small pro field, plus 2000+ age groupers. 

It would never get a permit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/03/2019 at 7:17 PM, steve said:

I didn't think the course was unsafe – bike circuit was closed (except for the extra 2km to the arch and back), the run was off street (except for the connector between the lake and the park, and the bit to the finish of the arch, which was also extra distance they didn't charge extra for 🙂 ). If you ran into trouble on the swim, you just stood up. But remember the bike turnaround, where the kids running the aid station were cooking hot dogs on the asphalt? I did not need a graphic reminder of how cooked I was. Yeah there was a lot that went sideways, but it was absolutely worth doing. Made some great friends that day.

You were out there doing it and I was volunteering to make sure that it went okay. I did the Team swim and it was okay (as you said, if you were in trouble ... stand up!!), but the rest of the day was a shambles .... Absolutely nothing about that race was kosher and I still remember the great Barry McCormack telling me "Maaaaaaaaaaate, I was watching Kimmy run and stood in the same place for 10 minutes and saw 7 runners come from 5 directions, none of which were the actual course!".

I also worked with the creditors to see how much money was squandered during the event, to make sure the Suppliers all got paid their dues. There was some monumental waste, including the purchase of 14,000 witches hats and some 2km of security fencing. 

That said, and I am biased as I am from there, I reckon it makes for a great course!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for being out there that day. One thing the race didn't lack was enthusiasm from the community volunteers, before, during and after race day. Everybody thought it was going to be a great thing, and it didn't turn out that way. I'm sure it was a disappointment for the community and probably money out of pocket for some. It was a mess financially, and there were a lot of things that were supposed to happen that didn't. But I don't know anyone who did it who regretted it, except maybe the pros who got stiffed. Lot of good things followed from it, like IMWA, Wanaka and this chat board -- cheers🍻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...