roxii

What do you not "get"?

Apart from triathlon we all have something "on the side" that keeps us busy or happy and they are generally very different. 

What do you see others doing and say "I just don't get it"

I dont really "get" fishing. Maybe I'm impatient, maybe its because I don't really eat fish, and am not overly keen on unnecessarily hurting something. I have tried. Guys a work think I'm nuts as I can walk to the bay near me, and many go fishing there, rather successfully, but I just don't "get" it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Apart from triathlon we all have something "on the side" that keeps us busy or happy and they are generally very different. 

I dont really "get" fishing. Maybe I'm impatient, maybe its because I don't really eat fish, and am not overly keen on unnecessarily hurting something. I have tried. Guys a work think I'm nuts as I can walk to the bay near me, and many go fishing there, rather successfully, but I just don't "get" it. 

There's fishing, and then there's fishing. Just sitting there drowning a bait I'm right with you, it does not float my boat, boring as batshit.

But spending the day stalking up a pristine NZ river, trying to spot feeding trout, then trying to work out what they are feeding on, then choosing the right fly to match (and one you made yourself), then nailing your cast so as not to spook the fish, then getting the strike right (mis-time it and no hookup), then playing it while it does its best to bust you off, or wrap you around a log, then quickly admiring it, maybe a quick pic, and release it.  Just magic.

BTW apparently they've done behavioural experiments involving anesthetics & the fish can't feel pain from the hook in it's mouth.  But I don't know.  I just know shooting things lost its appeal compared to fishing.

Social Media - I really don't get why people would want to waste hours of their life reading and posting thoughts and opinions... umm...

• Haha 1

Ok being serious now. I don’t get spending big dollars on fancy food & then only getting a small serving on a big plate. 

Sure im happy to pay for a good feed but $80 for a bowl of soup is just fk stupid.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Merv said:

reality tv

I don’t get scripted reality TV like Mafs and the bachelor etc....

i do like The Amazing Race reality TV. 

6 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Kona

I don’t get the endless years of obsession of Kona.  

Sure once. Maybe twice.  But for it to be the meaning of your life’s existence?  I don’t get that. 

3 hours ago, roxii said:

Right the with ya!  All my mates love it, but I just can't stand it!  Last time I fished must have been 15 years ago, on my fil's boat.  In the end I didn't even bother baiting the hook and just the it in so he didn't think I was doing nothing and laid down to sleep.  I guess I don't have that Hunter/gatherer instinct.

• Haha 2

One thing I really don't get, is the crap that comes through on job applications. I'm not talking about positions for stacking shelves. I mean Planning/Engineering roles, where the application is full of grammar & spelling mistakes, and they waffle on about every position they've ever held, back to serving fries at Macca's. Do they really think we want to read that stuff?

I can understand grammar mistakes from people who don't have English as a first language, but if you are chasing a job that is paying 6 figures, you could at least get someone who does speak it fluently to check it for you.

Rant over.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

One thing I really don't get, is the crap that comes through on job applications. I'm not talking about positions for stacking shelves. I mean Planning/Engineering roles, where the application is full of grammar & spelling mistakes, and they waffle on about every position they've ever held, back to serving fries at Macca's. Do they really think we want to read that stuff?

I can understand grammar mistakes from people who don't have English as a first language, but if you are chasing a job that is paying 6 figures, you could at least get someone who does speak it fluently to check it for you.

Rant over.

I don't get position descriptions.

Drivers who can't work out how to indicate on roundabouts.

If you are going left, or straight through, you don't indicate right on entry.  It's really not that hard.

Why creaming soda isn't yellow any more!  I swear it tasted better...

1 hour ago, The Customer said:

Crispy Creme

Oh, I can taste the sugary deliciousness now. Even if you didn't spell it right.

Soccer for me.

Tennis too, even thought I played as a teen, I just can't see what I liked about it.

Cottoneyes and TC win!

14 hours ago, roxii said:

I don't get people who don't get fishing lol! This is my catch from last Sunday.  no fishing this weekend though with Cyclone Veronica on our doorstep.

54356080_566778460468506_2492154691899621376_o.thumb.jpg.7244f6100b4a18904fc6064774e3b6b2.jpg

• Like 5

Their is so much I don’t get or understand today but I’m old. I agree with a lot of the above as well.

The use of Botox, unnecessary breast implants, cosmetic surgery and so much makeup on perfectly natural looking women and men who don’t need it.

Very rich and well off people who buy lottery tickets, lotto or whatever and if they have a win, confess to not really needing the money or they don’t know what they’ll spend it on. Why did you buy a ticket, just to piss some more deserving person off. Maybe that’s jealousy on my part.

Edited by fiftyplus

On 22/03/2019 at 9:56 AM, Merv said:

reality tv

I dont get how it is called 'reality tv'. Nothing about those shows are anything like real life.

• Like 1

Gardening. I work hard & the weeds always come back. I dont get how people love it

• Like 2

Make up

Short dresses

Heels

Drove past the race course this morning. All the ladies look so uncomfortable. 

I don’t get, or didn’t get, nightclubs.  I mean, it cost a fortune to buy a drink, and I only drank mineral water ! you can’t hear what anyone is saying and only half the people there are dancing.

On another forum somewhere.......

"You know what I don't get? Triathalon, especially that Ironman triathalon. They swim and ride and run all day and end up in the same place they started."

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

Gardening. I work hard & the weeds always come back. I dont get how people love it

I've just come inside from 5 hours in the yard/garden. Thoroughly loved it.

The fact that my wife can say "Can you pick some flowers for Mum", and I can come back with this in a couple minutes, all from plants I've propagated myself. And the fact that others love what I'm doing and willing to pay me to help get their gardens looking better feeds the ego also. Well, I am a Triathlete. ;)

DSC_2554.thumb.JPG.20f81567c11466947c963499ed267fd7.JPG

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Make up

Short dresses

Heels

And they have no money left to buy triathlon stuff either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Go past this afternoon. They usually look a lot funnier after 34 drinks and a day like today that melts the make-up.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cranky said:

Make up

Short dresses

Heels

That was just the red dog race day... 😁

People who rack up ~ $20,000 of HECS fees studying subjects such as "Event Management" and "International Relations" and then are surprised when they can't find a job in their field.

What don't you get about it?

My daughter is going to do psychology.  My shrink told me last week that her chosen uni has a 100% employment rate for it's psych graduates, granted I don't know if that includes those as taxi drivers etc?

51 minutes ago, goughy said:

What don't you get about it?

My daughter is going to do psychology.  My shrink told me last week that her chosen uni has a 100% employment rate for it's psych graduates, granted I don't know if that includes those as taxi drivers etc?

Psychology has one of the worst employment rates for full time work for Uni graduates ~ 60%

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-11/australian-job-prospects-for-university-graduates/10706216

http://www.graduatecareers.com.au/research/researchreports/gradstats/

grad.JPG

Thank god she's gonna be good at it then!

I don't get why people choose to work on a Sunday!  Wtf's with that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Thank god she's gonna be good at it then!

I don't get why people choose to work on a Sunday!  Wtf's with that?

Fortunately I can be a not very good Engineer and still find work.😉

Having worked FIFO for 25 years I have worked far to many Sundays, Christmas, Easter, etc.

4 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

The Australian University system in general

So true, would love to go to the universities and modernise it, bring in efficiency.  It’s a time warp from the 1800’s in many ways.  Can remember Turnbull talking about bringing it into the modern age  but he didn’t take it on when on government. 

Maybe I come at it from different angle having worked full time with overtime  and gone to uni full time at the same time  but was always amazed how inefficient it was.... and with the technology age, suspect we should just sell them all off and go virtual.