IronJimbo

2021 World Multisport Championships - Townsville

Big news for Townsville.  Multisport World Titles in 2021, presumably this would be aquathlon, cross-tri, long distance, etc

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/townsville/multisport-world-titles-a-16m-coup-for-townsville/news-story/e3304265143742dc78fa737f888fe86d

28 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Big news for Townsville.  Multisport World Titles in 2021, presumably this would be aquathlon, cross-tri, long distance, etc

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/townsville/multisport-world-titles-a-16m-coup-for-townsville/news-story/e3304265143742dc78fa737f888fe86d

Can you paste the text here? I cant open that link its behind a pay wall.

• Like 1

Yeah, I couldn't open it either 🙁

Sky News broke this last night, there will probably be a big announcement today with further details

don't think the announcement is "official" yet.  I heard about it a month or so ago when someone accidentally leaked the information.   Unfortunately I'll be at the "aged" end of my AG. :wheelchair:

Place will be flooded. Who cares. I hope to be living in the Gold coast hinterland by then. The bike will be rough as .harsh country roads with road trains running you off the road. 😀

10 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

Place will be flooded. Who cares. I hope to be living in the Gold coast hinterland by then. The bike will be rough as .harsh country roads with road trains running you off the road. 😀

Nothing like a bit of positivity huh!!!

• Haha 1

Yeah I heard this a while ago too. 

Be great for the cross tri and aquathlon.   Not sure about the roads there for the on-road gig. 

Also has the duathlons. 

full

article here:

https://outline.com/NZj9s5

Events included in the ITU Multisport World Championships:

Duathlon: 10km run, 40km bike, 5km run

Aquathlon: 1km swim, 5km run

Cross triathlon: 1km swim, 30km bike, 7km run

Aquabike: 3km swim, 113km bike

Long distance: 3km swim, 113km bike, 30km run

Mixed team relay: Two females and two males each do a 300m swim, 6.6km bike ride and 1km run before tagging off to their teammate

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Aidan said:

full

article here:

https://outline.com/NZj9s5

The long course is a bit random Long distance: 3km swim, 113km bike, 30km run

I thought these usually were 4-120-30. But I guess we will see, it too early to say if these distances listed are accurate.

I don’t get how a major world champs can be held in a location that’s never held average races there before.  

Cross champs in jindy then absolutely but clownsville?

just weird. 

• Like 1

By having it in NQ, they can put it on at what would be late in the Northern Hemisphere season, which would be attractive to the rest of the world. Putting it on anywhere else in Aus, and it would be in their off season.

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

By having it in NQ, they can put it on at what would be late in the Northern Hemisphere season, which would be attractive to the rest of the world. Putting it on anywhere else in Aus, and it would be in their off season.

Why not Cairns or other proven Triathlon venues up there?

• Like 1

There will have to be a lot of Aussie qualifying slots, I cant see this drawing a big international crowd, it wont be a cheap flight or easy location for internationals and isn't really an iconic global location. (no offense, fine place to visit).  The Americans will have the 70.3 worlds in the USA also around the same time.  Anyways I am sure they will host a good race, 

The decision to choose Townsville for these annual championships is more to do with politics and money and less to do with catering for triathletes. But you have to expect that in this day and age.  Beggars can't be choosers.

The biggest international contingent at the previous multisport world champs has been Team USA. To fly to Townsville US athletes will need to go via one of the southern capitals.  OK, so it adds on a few hours but that may be enough to discourage some. I don't think any international airline flies directly to Townsville.

To my recollection Townsville has never been known for a long distance triathlon race. They will need to close roads that have never been closed before unless they want to a million laps up and back along the foreshore.

I would think that the QLD Government has identified Townsville as needing an injection of funds and made an offer that can't be refused.

Once you get over these factors and accept them, it should be great :)

In Miles press release he says Australia has hosted 3 World Champs.

1991 Gold Coast

1997 Perth

2000 Perth

2009 Perth Long Course

That's 4 in my book.

57 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

There will have to be a lot of Aussie qualifying slots, I cant see this drawing a big international crowd, it wont be a cheap flight or easy location for internationals and isn't really an iconic global location. (no offense, fine place to visit).  The Americans will have the 70.3 worlds in the USA also around the same time.  Anyways I am sure they will host a good race, 

Not many American will select Townsville over their own use 703 world champs. 

If they selected cairns at least Asian countries like China Korea and Japan could have flown in direct   

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Not many American will select Townsville over their own use 703 world champs. 

If they selected cairns at least Asian countries like China Korea and Japan could have flown in direct   

You have to remember that the multisport champs has six different races only one of which is similar to the 70.3

I will be the race director after my fine job at organizing Ironman Frankston on the weekend. I will like most Townsville triathlons find every speed hump and round a bout possible for the bike leg. Will have to be a 1am start time because the locals are scared of the heat...😀😀😀

38 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

If you do these races do you need to purcahase Australia kit? Or can you race it in what ever you like?

ITU so National kit

44 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

I will be the race director after my fine job at organizing Ironman Frankston on the weekend. I will like most Townsville triathlons find every speed hump and round a bout possible for the bike leg. Will have to be a 1am start time because the locals are scared of the heat...😀😀😀

I am looking at putting a 52% Active fee on it😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Triatx said:

1991 Gold Coast

1997 Perth

2000 Perth

2009 Perth Long Course

That's 4 in my book.

3 hours ago, Triatx said:

plus

2018 Gold Coast

So 5 World Champs

Plus 2009 Gold Coast

8 minutes ago, -H- said:

Plus 2009 Gold Coast

Plus two Aquathlon World Champs at Noosa 1998 & 1999 (still got the singlets :) )

Also Townsville is a great spot for Aug / September multisports events water temps & clarity  are usually ace and few stingers about.

PLUS they have a Sizzler !

Downside is it's is a 10 hr drive from here (Qld is a big place), and accom could be pushed.

Edited by trifun

Ooooh, I just flashed back on Demolition Man!!!

16 hours ago, Triatx said:

1991 Gold Coast

1997 Perth

2000 Perth

2009 Perth Long Course

That's 4 in my book.

16 hours ago, Triatx said:

plus

2018 Gold Coast

So 5 World Champs

12 hours ago, trifun said:

Plus two Aquathlon World Champs at Noosa 1998 & 1999 (still got the singlets :) )

Plus 2015 Duathlon Worlds in Adelaide

and 2016 70.3 Worlds in Mooloolaba

11 minutes ago, prizna said:

Don't forget about the darts world champs

Sorry Prizna. It's never been outside the UK.

12 hours ago, Rob said:

Plus 2015 Duathlon Worlds in Adelaide

and 2016 70.3 Worlds in Mooloolaba

the last one doesn't count on the ITU list 😐 - 

Unexpected good news about another event in Townsville. The town can put on a round for the V8 Supertaxis so a few multi sport events can't be to hard to pull off. 

The Adventurthon series of events go alright up there (the Magnetic island race has returned for this year)  and there is plenty of accomodation. I'm not sure everyone will be ready for the weather, but who cares. 

Already blocked out August 2021 at our accommodation up there. 

26 minutes ago, Cape_Horn said:

So - 
How hard do people think it would be to qualify for the LD?

I think there will be reasonable competition for spots but they will be maybe 30 slots per Age Group, so depends on your division, so a female 50-54 gets 30 slots so does a male 40-44, so it will be harder for those bigger male age groups.

So you are suggesting any slow male needs to identify as a female to get a spot?

• Like 1

That wouldn't help some of us!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Gilliga said:

I think there will be reasonable competition for spots but they will be maybe 30 slots per Age Group, so depends on your division, so a female 50-54 gets 30 slots so does a male 40-44, so it will be harder for those bigger male age groups.

M35-39 (will be right at the tail of it). Guess it will all come down to where the qualifiers are run. (Might just have to try for the Cross as well, would have to race one or the other - logistics for 2 bikes would be... harder )

47 minutes ago, Cape_Horn said:

M35-39 (will be right at the tail of it). Guess it will all come down to where the qualifiers are run. (Might just have to try for the Cross as well, would have to race one or the other - logistics for 2 bikes would be... harder )

Hopefully they throw a few more slots at the bigger age groups.

Dates are up from from the TA website; 

2021 International Triathlon Union Multisport Age Group World Championship Events: 

Sprint Distance Duathlon (Draft Legal) 7th August 2021 (5km run, 20km cycle, 2.5km run - final 2021 race distances to be confirmed)
Standard Distance Duathlon 9th August 2021 (10km run, 40km cycle, 5km run 
- final 2021 race distances to be confirmed)
Cross Triathlon 11th August 2021 (1.5km swim, 30km mountain bike ride, 8km run - final 2021 race distances to be confirmed)
Aquathlon 13th August 2021 (1km swim, 5km run - final 2021 race distances to be confirmed)
Aquabike 15th August 2021 (3km swim, 120km cycle - final 2021 race distances to be confirmed)
Long Distance Triathlon 15th August 2021 (3.km swim, 120km cycle, 30km run - final 2021 race distances to be confirmed)

Looks like you can manage up to 5 events if you are good enough... Or have the $$ to do all the qualifiers!

And there appears to be a website now;

https://townsville.triathlon.org/

https://townsville.triathlon.org/schedule/

Edited by Froudie
  • Thanks 1

On the TA site I think it said late April the races would be confirmed. Can’t see it on mobile but read it on desktop.