superboy

AP Regular Coaching Contributor

I think we  should look at offering AP a regular coaching tip/blog on Trannies, there is plenty

of support for his insightful and wise comments on the sport of Triathlon, reached the Mt Everest

of Triathlon?..Assuming AP is willing of course

• Thanks 1

AP posting under a different account again.  Hilarious.  

AP posting and then loving his own comment.  

A45B48E7-0321-4D1A-BFEA-2264584959CC.jpeg

Edited by Peter

29 minutes ago, Peter said:

AP posting and then loving his own comment.  

A45B48E7-0321-4D1A-BFEA-2264584959CC.jpeg

I thought AP was in bed by 8pm every night. So it can’t be him 

We already have two coaches lined up for exactly this. I think AP was approached in the past but it didn't come to anything (I could be wrong). 

5 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I think AP has his own forum you can check out.

And a book

Yes AP has his own forum and it’s more lively than he is   

Edited by Peter

AP is a coach with extensive experience in Ironman generally and can assist many on here.

Like any coach each has strengths and areas of challenge.

You have people like CEM and MJK on here who are deeply knowledgable and credentialed.

I have been a triathlon coach in High Performance, juniors, and helped others in Ironman racing, including those racing in Kona. I coach swimming these days - and occasionally help athletes tweak their triathlon programs when they ask me. I don't take any money from athletes.

Best qualities a coach can have is sincerity, empathy, knowing their limitations and being prepared to recommend another coach with a superior skill set, as well as knowing their strengths.

• Like 3

Guest FFF1077

Keen to find out who the two coaches are. That will be a great addition to the forum. 

35 minutes ago, Coach@triathlon said:

Best qualities a coach can have is sincerity, empathy, knowing their limitations and being prepared to recommend another coach with a superior skill set, as well as knowing their strengths.

This hits the nail on the head.  I see so many people stay with the same coach (or cult) and stall.  The coach makes comments to blackmail the athlete to stay when in fact they really need to move on.

I know of one group in Melb that has 3 amazing bike / run athletes that destroy 70.3 and Ironman bike runs but they are starting the bike so far behind the better guys. They are swimming 1:20 plus times.  All 3 need to go to someone that can swim coach them and they would all be off to world champs each year.  But no, they stay with the same cult and never achieve this dreams.  It's farking sad.

NOTE:  I am NOT talking about AP here

Tip # 1

Don't avoid what you don't like ----------- how many athletes do we all know who love one discipline and never miss a session on their favourite sport - the guys with the cleanest bikes, the ones who never miss a bike ride but dodge the longer runs - the guys who like the sprint swim sessions but get out early if its a long endurance session

We all know someone who dodges what they don't like - we probably do it ourselves - we probably approach certain workouts with the wrong attitude - if you bring the wrong attitude to a session no matter what it is, you won't gain from it

If you don't have a coach, get a mate to be honest with you and ask them what you should be doing more of - it'll be what you don't like as much. In my squad I can pick the people most likely to get out of the pool early (oh they always have a good reason) or the ones who'll not join the group for a long endurance session (would maybe prefer to do this session on their own from home ) 

13 minutes ago, AP said:

Tip # 1

Don't avoid what you don't like ----------- how many athletes do we all know who love one discipline and never miss a session on their favourite sport - the guys with the cleanest bikes, the ones who never miss a bike ride but dodge the longer runs - the guys who like the sprint swim sessions but get out early if its a long endurance session

We all know someone who dodges what they don't like - we probably do it ourselves - we probably approach certain workouts with the wrong attitude - if you bring the wrong attitude to a session no matter what it is, you won't gain from it

If you don't have a coach, get a mate to be honest with you and ask them what you should be doing more of - it'll be what you don't like as much. In my squad I can pick the people most likely to get out of the pool early (oh they always have a good reason) or the ones who'll not join the group for a long endurance session (would maybe prefer to do this session on their own from home ) 

Like when I suggested to my wife this morning she needed to do another TT soon in prep for Byron.  She HATES TTs 🙄

25 minutes ago, AP said:

Tip # 1

That hit home-I really don't enjoy swimming, as a result I might only swim twice a week.... :(

But on the flip side I'm not sure I can be arsed spending 4-5 hours a week in the pool just to knock off 10 mins in a 70.3. Would much rather enjoy my rides and runs and knock off 5 mins off on the bike and 5 in the run...

Edited by more

9 minutes ago, more said:

That hit home-I really don't enjoy swimming, as a result I might only swim twice a week.... :(

But on the flip side I'm not sure I can be arsed spending 4-5 hours a week in the pool just to knock off 10 mins in a 70.3. Would much rather enjoy my rides and runs and knock off 5 mins off on the bike and 5 in the run...

If you could knock off 10 mins in the swim, you would be out on the bike with the goods guys which, that alone will give you a quite few minutes. Its just the way it is. Also, a lot of people I know say if they are swim fit then the benefits continue on to the run.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

If you could knock off 10 mins in the swim, you would be out on the bike with the goods guys which, that alone will give you a quite few minutes. Its just the way it is. Also, a lot of people I know say if they are swim fit then the benefits continue on to the run.

Yep, all of this is very true. 

35 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Same premise for any triathlon distance. Swimming and being swim fit is the key to your race performance. Over the past few years I've introduced quite a few to the sport who had never even considered doing a triathlon. The best self esteem and sense of accomplishment moments i ever see as a coach is their eventual mastery of swimming. Last week one of the ladies in my squD completed 4k for the first time - and the smile she gave me was inspiring.

I know this might ruffle  a few feathers - but the majority of 'Triathlon coaches' don't know the first thing about swimming coaching, improvement, and performance.

Edited by Coach@triathlon
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Coach@triathlon said:

I know this might ruffle  a few feathers - but the majority of 'Triathlon coaches' don't know the first thing about swimming coaching, improvement, and performance.

I've been in the sport since 1994.  I can absolutely agree with this statement.

The other thing I never understand is people being coached ONLINE.

How can a coach that sends you and excel doc or adds to TP's see that maybe your seat is too low and you need a bike fit.  See that your hand entry in the swim is all wrong, or your running is off due to something.  Or even see you are actually exhausted and need an easy swim or to miss a session.  All they see is you are doing sessions.

FFS people, if you are going to get a coach get one that sees you a few times a week.  It will be much better for you and your performance.

If I was going to get coached again (being in Melb) I go to the TEAM guy Xavier or Adam Beckworth at Beckworth Coaching or Stef from GPC.

If I was in Brisbane I'd probably go to AP's cycos. ;) 

All groups have massive success.

But getting online coached is just DUMB

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

19 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yep, all of this is very true. 

14 minutes ago, Coach@triathlon said:

Same premise for any triathlon distance. Swimming and being swim fit is the key to your race performance. Over the past few years I've introduced quite a few to the sport who had never even considered doing a triathlon. The best self esteem and sense of accomplishment moments i ever see as a coach is their eventual mastery of swimming. Last week one of the ladies in my squD completed 4k for the first time - and the smile she gave me was inspiring.

Dammm...guess its time I sucked it up and got swimming.....

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Coach@triathlon said:

Both coaches I had only did the ride & run with me, and I went to Michael Bohle for swimming. They were happy with that, and it did wonders for my swimming, and overall fitness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

...The other thing I never understand is people being coached ONLINE.

How can a coach that sends you and excel doc or adds to TP's see that maybe your seat is too low and you need a bike fit.  See that your hand entry in the swim is all wrong, or your running is off due to something.  Or even see you are actually exhausted and need an easy swim or to miss a session.  All they see is you are doing sessions.

FFS people, if you are going to get a coach get one that sees you a few times a week.  It will be much better for you and your performance...

Oh, there are a myriad of reasons to get an online coach

1) You can't train at "normal" hours, or just don't have a coach in the near vicinity

2) The cost is generally a lot cheaper than going to a squad

3) Some people already go to swim squad - a swim coach would generally be better than a triathlon coach - or some triathletes don't need technique help from a triathlon coach

4) The assumption is that you have already had a bike fit - I wouldn't trust the word of a coach above a reputable bike fitter

5) Some athletes know when they are tired and need an easy day - you can still communicate quite effectively with an online coach who will adjust sessions to suit

So sure, if you have the money, the ability to get to sessions, need help with technique - get a coach you actually see.  If you don't/can't/won't, well online is the next best thing and suits some better

• Like 2

Whenever I say to @Stikman I could do with some swim coaching he always wanders off muttering, saying things like "un-coachable"......I'm not sure what he's trying to say.....

• Haha 1

Guest FFF1077

I noticed my swim fitness when I was running. Depth of breath at AeT was amazing. 

30 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

So sure, if you have the money, the ability to get to sessions, need help with technique - get a coach you actually see.  If you don't/can't/won't, well online is the next best thing and suits some better

You act like people's lives don't revolve around triathlon!

25 minutes ago, Katz said:

Whenever I say to @Stikman I could do with some swim coaching he always wanders off muttering, saying things like "un-coachable"......I'm not sure what he's trying to say.....

I don't wander, I run (or what I call running.)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I've been in the sport since 1994.  I can absolutely agree with this statement.

The other thing I never understand is people being coached ONLINE.

FFS people, if you are going to get a coach get one that sees you a few times a week.  It will be much better for you and your performance.

If I was going to get coached again (being in Melb) I go to the TEAM guy Xavier or Adam Beckworth at Beckworth Coaching or Stef from GPC.

If I was in Brisbane I'd probably go to AP's cycos. ;) 

All groups have massive success.

Haven't posted in aaaages but have been back reading for some time.

In response to this Peter - in Darwin we don't have many options - 1-2 that I know of. And if you wanted something more along a performance coach or wanted to get to WC say, you'd prob want to go online with someone down south with a group that's had success like the ones you've mentioned. 

17 minutes ago, emski said:

Haven't posted in aaaages but have been back reading for some time.

In response to this Peter - in Darwin we don't have many options - 1-2 that I know of. And if you wanted something more along a performance coach or wanted to get to WC say, you'd prob want to go online with someone down south with a group that's had success like the ones you've mentioned. 

I was more giving the reason of if you lived in Melbourne and went online coaching you'd be crazy.

Sure I know if you are in the middle of nowhere it's your only option.  Having said that, if you did Port Ironman each year having a coach that either lives in Port or will be in Port and maybe even someone that runs camps would be much better than getting someone online coaching you that lives in Syria.

38 minutes ago, Stikman said:

You act like people's lives don't revolve around triathlon!

Uh-Oh - Am I banned now?

I go to this gym and have done for 5 years. Great place within a stone's throw of my house and the pool. I've watched half a dozen people join up and start doing 'triathlons' independent of my friendship group - we inevitably meet of course and become friendly.

Then the journey starts....the ironman entry. The 5 hour indoor bike sessions and hours on the treadmill. The injuries...

I get chatting and they mention they are doing an ironman and 'my coach' has me on 70k weeks running etc bla bla bla. 12 months earlier they were 20 kilos heavier and have zero athletic background. The coach lives in another state and they communicate by email. Some of them swim with me but don't last because I dont craft sessions in the zone coach says they 'need.'

There are people in my swim squad that have won races outright and won their age group in kona - yet they never get approached for advice.

That person ends up disillusioned and lost to the sport. Happens all the time.

So many dont get that triathlon is a lifestyle and not a means to make your friends think your better than they are, or you are generally better than everyone else because of your goal or training. Coaches should be facilitators of a lifestyle not the numbers and graphs technicians that its turned into.

Traithlon is just something to do in between work and family ffs. Rant over :)

Edited by Coach@triathlon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Coach@triathlon said:

Coaches should be facilitators of a lifestyle not the numbers and graphs technicians that its turned into.

I couldn't agree more - they're people (animals) not machines - I have had people ask me "what platform" I use (training peaks etc) - they almost choke when I say none - I want real communication with athletes - I want to know how they're feeling, what's going on in their lives etc

It's amazing how much "feedback" I get over coffee after a session and the athlete doesn't even know they're giving feedback

Also as everyone rolls up and walks up the side of the pool to the area where we do our core work (before every pool session) I read body language - if the group is generally tired I often give an alternative workout to what I thought may be right on the day - the idea is to look after them - not break them 😉

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

Oh, there are a myriad of reasons to get an online coach

1) You can't train at "normal" hours, or just don't have a coach in the near vicinity

2) The cost is generally a lot cheaper than going to a squad

3) Some people already go to swim squad - a swim coach would generally be better than a triathlon coach - or some triathletes don't need technique help from a triathlon coach

4) The assumption is that you have already had a bike fit - I wouldn't trust the word of a coach above a reputable bike fitter

5) Some athletes know when they are tired and need an easy day - you can still communicate quite effectively with an online coach who will adjust sessions to suit

Spot on.

That & Corky lives in QLD & I'm stuck down in Radelaide. It just makes it impossible.

• Haha 2

Guest FFF1077

Yeah. 

Although not as heavy as some of the opinions on this, AP and the things that I have read of his on here were often very helpful during Busso Ironman. I used more of his "sayings" than others*.

*no disrespect to others ✌️

I'd definitely say working on your swim is worth it's weight in gold... I worked pretty hard at mine pre Xiamen last year and popped out of the water surprisingly far up the field around a good group of 8 others working well and legally (apart from a couple of Russians who team time trialled the entire way)... so I'd say a 2-3 minute swim improvement was accentuated by then working smart on the bike for another 5-6 minutes...

The other thing I like about swimming is using it as recovery and strength - when I swim a lot I rarely have any other niggles... 

And I was a shite swimmer (I'm a POM after all)... 

• Haha 2

General rule of thumb in the shire for years, has get swim fit, and the rest is easier.  the training group environment that has replaced the club structure in many places is also a great addition, tends to get athlete all pushing each other along with less waiting but the clubs still have a place as everyone has to start somewhere, people age etc.   At least thats the shire experience over the last 15 or so years. And the training groups either do their own swim coaching or farm it out to a swim coach like mick.  

Was in Launceston the other morning and noticed a local training group all driving each other, exactly how the groups in the shire work, so its probably fairly common these days though people on here do indicate the vic triathletes are fairly club focused as opposed to training group focussed. 

Online will never be as good as face to face in my view, but in saying that, if you dont have optionS locally, online would seem smart to hold yourself accountable to yourself and I guess as the sport morphs into more trainer sessions and treadmill sessions, as the tech improves and people get more time poor, remote with work, online probably catches up a fair bit.  

Edited by Oompa Loompa

Online can work if the communication is good - I have often had online athletes send me video of them swimming - riding their windtrainer and running so we can work on slight changes in technique (at least I know what I'm working with) 

I've had athletes who have trained alone in Victoria ,Tassie , Longreach , Adelaide , Western NSW KQ - some of them multiple times the athlete needs to trust the coach and take a long term view - it's not likely to happen in one 16 week block 😏

2 hours ago, AP said:

Online can work if the communication is good - I have often had online athletes send me video of them swimming - riding their windtrainer and running so we can work on slight changes in technique (at least I know what I'm working with) 

I've had athletes who have trained alone in Victoria ,Tassie , Longreach , Adelaide , Western NSW KQ - some of them multiple times the athlete needs to trust the coach and take a long term view - it's not likely to happen in one 16 week block 😏

I didn’t say it can’t work but you are better off seeing a Coast. Or should I say, a coach seeing you.  

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

I didn’t say it can’t work but you are better off seeing a Coast. Or should I say, a coach seeing you.  

10 hours ago, Peter said:

?

11 hours ago, more said:

Dammm...guess its time I sucked it up and got swimming.....

More....... the other thing that Mick (@coach) will tell you is that the more you swim the more enjoyable it becomes. You have the climb the hill until it gets to the point that it’s no longer a chore....... it will happen and it doesn’t take long........but it takes a bit of doggedness. 

Build it....and it will come!!!!!! From the movie Pool of dreams......or is that Field of Dreams :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

More....... the other thing that Mick (@coach) will tell you is that the more you swim the more enjoyable it becomes. You have the climb the hill until it gets to the point that it’s no longer a chore....... it will happen and it doesn’t take long........but it takes a bit of doggedness. 

Build it....and it will come!!!!!! From the movie Pool of dreams......or is that Field of Dreams :)

This. I used to hate swimming. Now I trot out 3.5k and enjoy the time doing so.

10 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Just curious who from Adelaide got a KQ spot?

Jenny Sturm

11 hours ago, AP said:

Anyone from porepunkah?

thats along way from Brisbane 

3 hours ago, ironpo said:

Anyone from porepunkah?

thats along way from Brisbane 

Yes there was that bloke from down there - I would have listed it but couldn't spell it 😅 that bloke WANTED IT he would drive 90km twice a week to get to swim in a pool - when he accepted his spot at Port I got a lump in my throat 😥

What year was that?  One of my best mates is Steve Sturm.

I think it was 2017 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

This is what I have found! I’m struggling to get back into swimming after a sizeable break because I’m not swim fit so not enjoying it. I’ve never really liked swimming but 18mths ago I’d managed to get into the fast lane at squad and was loving swimming! 

Yep, early on I swam squad and enjoyed it. Then kids came along and I was time poor. 

Swimming dropped of to what was "necessary" to get by and I hated it.  By the time I was finished with IM and just doing sprints I would still just do what was required to be confident I would survive.  I ended up even being a bit wary of the swim leg of sprint tri's and not enjoying it at all. 

This season its pretty much all I can still do, so I got in and started backing up and ramping it up. 

Now a 2k swim in the bay feels quick and enjoyable (especially when there are lost of fish around). I banged out a 4k straight swim last weekend, and planning on trying for 5k this weekend with a 5k race coming up in a few weeks. 

• Like 2