toolex

"Xtreme Carbon" wheels - any experiences?

Has anyone tried wheels from "Xtreme Carbon" - https://www.xtreme-carbon.com/product-category/wheels/ ?

They are very cheap - for example their 80mm clincher aluminium brake track model is pretty much the cost of hiring a pair of Zipp 808s for two weekends, which seems pretty good if they are good quality.

They hubs are different, but I like the design.

I know people say "just get a pair of second hand [insert known brand name here]", but that's easier said than done - if you have any links to good value second hand wheels please post 'em! 

2 guys at my club bought a pair on sale late last year, both of them had problems....one of them with both wheels.....hubs i believe were the problem from memory.  

As I haven't had experience with them myself all I'll say is I'm glad I spent a few hundred bucks more and got Cadens 18 months ago....about to buy a 2nd pair of them for my roadie now also.

I reckon the extra $$$ spent for some Cadens would be well worth it. 

3 minutes ago, willie said:

I reckon the extra $$$ spent for some Cadens would be well worth it. 

Why don't we ever hear from Ben on this site? He is a major advertiser but not a peep? I want to know when he is bringing a disc out????

I haven't ridden the Xtreme wheels but did speak to the guys when they were new to the market. 

I was surprised that they were unaware of the older Extreme wheels, they also seemed a bit puzzled when I mentioned the idea was pretty similar to the Roval Fusee wheels they seemed unaware of them. 

They have never made any claims about the rims, I believe they are just generic chinese rims. Just the hub is the "secret sauce" 

They also dont really recommend them for road racing, which I think speaks to the stiffness. 

I haven't ridden on those, but my TT race wheels are a set of Token wheels. I love them and can't rate them highly enough. My LBS mechanic reckons that they're legit and everything checked out and a few of my club mates have bought them as well.

8 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I haven't ridden on those, but my TT race wheels are a set of Token wheels. I love them and can't rate them highly enough. My LBS mechanic reckons that they're legit and everything checked out and a few of my club mates have bought them as well.

Token are a great wheel, I ran a set of tubs for a while before switching back to clinchers. Rate them highly.

I got a set of Cadens after recommendations from here, I think they are a great set of wheels. But I can't compare to any other carbon rims as these were my first set.

I gave Ben a call he was great to talk to and gave me a few recommendations on the wheels

1 hour ago, more said:

Why don't we ever hear from Ben on this site? He is a major advertiser but not a peep? I want to know when he is bringing a disc out????

If I had to hazard a guess Id say he is too busy. 

If I were to have one criticism of Ben it woudl be that he will not rest on his laurels, or continue to run product to recoups his costs, which is great  for consumers as he is constantly upgrading stuff, but probably not the best for his pocket as he is always tweaking his molds, getting new machinings done etc. which is all costly and very time consuming. The result is, that at any given time you are getting the best wheels Ben has, not the 2017 version or even the early 2018 version, if you buy wheels off him today I can almost guarantee that there will be something on those wheels that he will have tweaked in the last few months to make them as good as they can be.  

• Like 1

Where are the Xtreme wheels shipped from, China? If so that can be a PITA with warranty issues. Mine lite bicycle wheels took 3 weeks to arrive, one was damaged, so took 4 weeks to be sent back, then waited another 3 weeks to get my replacement wheel, so about 3 months. Season was over by the time it arrived. I would look for 2nd hand Zipps, HEDS etc

3 minutes ago, zed said:

Where are the Xtreme wheels shipped from, China? If so that can be a PITA with warranty issues. Mine lite bicycle wheels took 3 weeks to arrive, one was damaged, so took 4 weeks to be sent back, then waited another 3 weeks to get my replacement wheel, so about 3 months. Season was over by the time it arrived. I would look for 2nd hand Zipps, HEDS etc

Problem is people want stupid amounts for 3-4 year old carbon wheels 'only ridden by grandma on Sundays to church...'

3 minutes ago, more said:

Problem is people want stupid amounts for 3-4 year old carbon wheels 'only ridden by grandma on Sundays to church...'

Talk to Bored@. He'll be retiring again soon and selling his gear, if he hasn't already. 

45 minutes ago, zed said:

Where are the Xtreme wheels shipped from, China? 

It’s an Aussie company, based in Wollongong I think. 

Interesting to see Roxiis'coments from them about not knowing of the past Qld based Xtreme wheels, I had a similar conversation with them and also the road racing comment.

Probably the best option to follow with the newer brands is if they are UCI legal, at least there is testing involved and gives some piece of mind. Also if you intend to road race in some bigger events you need this if the officials are stringent on equipment.

I haven't tried Cadens but my mate swears by his and I've tried a pair of Yoeleos and found them to be fast and stiff and are my go to road race wheels (well when I can get them off my daughter). Plenty of decent cheaper options are out there now using Chinese wheel manufacturing but I would stick to a set that are UCI certified still going to get a new set for $1200- $1600  ,

Has anyone used the Elemental 88mm carbon wheels from Wheelscience.  I'm tossing up between them and the Caden 81mm.

Elle of Kona Ambassador fame for having weight loss surgery is now an ambassador for Xtreme.

• Haha 1

Picked these up for the Mrs for $100 a few months ago.  19yrs old, put a little JB weld in a few small divots and holes in the carbon and they seem to go ok, though she says the braking is crap on the alum rims (might just need new brake pads).  She did Noosa on them no probs.

X-treme.jpg

On 14/03/2019 at 12:41 PM, more said:

Ben works crazy hours, always got something on the go trying to improve designs, I have had 4 sets of wheels from him in three years and every design has been tweaked.

he still laces or at least trues all wheels so pretty busy guy, recently did 6 factories in 7 days through Asia searching for improvements.

there are some epic new wheels in the pipeline, as for the disc I’ll let you know how they ride after Wednesday, if you want one he’s only a call away! 

• Like 1

On 22/03/2019 at 3:35 PM, Blobby said:

Has anyone used the Elemental 88mm carbon wheels from Wheelscience.  I'm tossing up between them and the Caden 81mm.

bump -any thoughts?

Haven't tried Elemental but have tried Caden. 

I dont think you can go wrong with Cadens. Tell Ben you are a Tranny and a mate of mine and he will look after you. 

If you were in Sydney I could lend you a set to trial.  If you read what I and Clintred wrote above you can understand why we recommend Caden. 

When you take into account quality, local support, price etc I don't think there is better bang for buck than Caden.