Bored@work

Bad sports, sooks or just full of excuses

20 minutes ago, AA7 said:

No. Are you saying that means there couldn't be pack of females?

No, but unlikely if there are 4 times as many men in the race as women. They would just be interspersed amongst men.

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

If only there was the same rage on the other post about Josh Amberger's latest Instagram post.

I want to be offended so I can offended.

On his new shoes? I don't get it

15 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Yeah of course. His shoes.

Never mind. 

I waded through the other threads and found the relevance. I get it  now. 

Hokas are awesome. 

Edited by Turts

14 minutes ago, Turts said:

Never mind. 

I waded through the other threads and found the relevance. I get it  now. 

Hokas are awesome. 

If some one posted that about a female pro on instagram, the witch hunt would be on.

8 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

If some one posted that about a female pro on instagram, the witch hunt would be on.

Man you really have got your vagus nerve in a knot about this haven't you..

14 minutes ago, pieman said:

Man you really have got your vagus nerve in a knot about this haven't you..

Just calling it as I see it...........

I might also be grumpy because I'm working night shift & having to deal with a bunch of nerds.

12 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Just calling it as I see it...........

I might also be grumpy because I'm working night shift & having to deal with a bunch of nerds.

I was wondering why you were doing 90k rides at pro hours. 

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

I was wondering why you were doing 90k rides at pro hours. 

I only every train after after 8am anyway. Just can get a few more km these days

16 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No, but unlikely if there are 4 times as many men in the race as women. They would just be interspersed amongst men.

I get your point. But my AG at the bigger races I do every year like Noosa and Mooloolaba is usually well over 100 competitors. Plenty of opportunities to ride in a big pack, but I've never seen it. 

21 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I get your point. But my AG at the bigger races I do every year like Noosa and Mooloolaba is usually well over 100 competitors. Plenty of opportunities to ride in a big pack, but I've never seen it. 

Look behind ya

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

37 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I agree - I very rarely see women drafting.  In saying that the dynamics are different - Aren't fewer women at the "pointy" end in comparison to the men?  As in, FOP is much pointier for us?  Does a pack form in the water causing a heap of us to get out on course at the same time?  As the swim in my best leg, the only time I've been in a pack in the water was at worlds.

Suppose this is part of the problem, never see it, doesn't happen. Men are most represented simply due to the higher numbers of men.

In those packs and often just latching onto AG men riders solo are faster AG women, who get a free pass from TO.

Busso one, year, TO drives up to me" do you know the distance" "yep", "make sure you don't draft", "am I drafting", "no", "then leave me alone"

"how about you go 50 metres up the road and bust that lasy who is 50 cm of the wheel in front of her and has been doing so for hours"

Drives up, passes her and then busts some guy trying to do the right thing and go past a pack

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I can't comment I haven't done Busso since 2008 so I have no idea what percentage of men v women drafting is.

Its about 100% each way

• Haha 1

the young girls do draft and are quite blatant about it.  Talking short distances here.  From what someone told me, they are doing it under coach orders because they are "training" for when they race pro.  Don't care if they get pinged as they all sit in a group together in the box, then take off again.

Ok, not all people draft. Some of it is those who cheat, some the sheer subjectivity of the rule, over zealous TO who have never raced and some is people just not knowing.

Not dropping back and blocking are the biggest issue. I don't even mind if you don't drop back, draft, but when you drop back to my wheel rest then come through time after time, well its just not cricket.

Same for blocking, I just want to get through. Draft all you want just don't keep coming back after not dropping back and don't block

• Like 1

As a TO, I speak to more men than women. However, I feel its proportional to the ratio of men to women in the event as a whole. 

I speak the most to the juniors, who can race drafting and try and do it in the non drafting events as well. 

7 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

the young girls do draft and are quite blatant about it.  Talking short distances here.  From what someone told me, they are doing it under coach orders because they are "training" for when they race pro.  Don't care if they get pinged as they all sit in a group together in the box, then take off again.

Definitely agree on the younger racers, that is generally the style of racing they do.

8 hours ago, BogFrog said:

I agree - I very rarely see women drafting.  In saying that the dynamics are different - Aren't fewer women at the "pointy" end in comparison to the men?  As in, FOP is much pointier for us?  Does a pack form in the water causing a heap of us to get out on course at the same time?  As the swim in my best leg, the only time I've been in a pack in the water was at worlds.

Agree on both points about race dynamics and pointy end.

8 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I can't comment I haven't done Busso since 2008

Actually you did it in 2009 - I finished ahead of you and retired from IM. And don't pull out any bullsh!t excuses :)

3 minutes ago, trinube said:

Actually you did it in 2009 - I finished ahead of you and retired from IM. And don't pull out any bullsh!t excuses :)

I mustn't have gone hard enough - I finished in a lot better shape than you but I was back at 15.35 

Apparently winning isn’t the goal. Looking fresh at the end is. So AP says anyway.  

Ok just had a really good bike leg, and I’m not making excuses because it was a PB BUT what is it with some people, read men, who can’t hack getting overtaken by a woman and do their best to mess with my race.  It was at mooloolaba and I was approaching the turn around.  I stood up to stretch my legs and get a drink blah blah.  A couple of guys passed me.  Fair enough.  I do turn like the titanic in races 😄 once we straightened, I dropped back on the bars and got back up to speed, caught the three guys (on road bikes) who were in a nice little peloton with less than a metre between wheels, rode past them at my comfortable race pace, then all of a sudden they surged past me.  I sat up let them get ahead then dropped back on the bars to find myself closing on them quickly, my race pace had not changed, the road was flat, no reason for their abrupt drop in pace, ie no head wind.  I passed them again.  Same story,   I kept a close eye on my speed after that thinking I was either slowing or the false flats were messing with my rhythm.  This happened half a dozen times and I was getting a bit disgruntled because I had to keep dropping back to let not one but three riders in.   I was trying to work out what to do when another guy went pass me followed by a woman a few meters back.  The little peloton didn’t skip a beat when the male went pass them, but when the girl went pass the leader stood up and sprinted after her, followed by his minions, till they got past her when they pulled in and slowed down.  🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️ She was smarter than me though whereas I’d been sitting up, she just swung out and zoomed away from them.  They tried to go with her but a couple of the false flats broke them, so when I eventually caught them, still maintaining my race pace , I was able to go past and leave them behind me.  Talk about irritating though.

Your issue is you care about drafting and in particular dropping out of the zone. Just don’t do it.  

Sit in there and don’t bother. If you get busted, and odds are you won’t. 

Stikman and I did the Gingin "long course" tri today. He says he can't believe I beat him on the run. But he says that's only because he ran with his kid to make sure she didn't stop running. Apparently. She beat him in a sprint finish too. :whistling:

I only got 4th in my age group this race. No podium for me this time. Was rather amusing right at the end. The woman who beat me for 3rd by 10 seconds and I had kind of tag teamed for third spot most of the race (though I had no idea about that till after the race as I had no idea where I was in the field let alone even if she was in my age group or not). The end of the run course was up a decent hill which I was fast walking up. She was running and passed me about half way up and then about 15m ahead of me she started walking. As we reached close to the top and the gradient started petering out I started running again. The moment I reached her she looked over at me and started running again. I jokingly said, "oh, are we racing now?" She was not amused. I got a most shirty "no, I'm not racing anyone but myself" and she ran off. She got too big a start on me though and try as I might, once I had decided I might just race her after all whether she liked it or not, I couldn't catch her. B)

29 minutes ago, Katz said:

She got too big a start on me though and try as I might, once I had decided I might just race her after all whether she liked it or not, I couldn't catch her. B)

Sounds like an excuse.  You just didn't want it enough.

30 minutes ago, Katz said:

Stikman and I did the Gingin "long course" tri today. He says he can't believe I beat him on the run. But he says that's only because he ran with his kid to make sure she didn't stop running. Apparently. She beat him in a sprint finish too. :whistling:

I also didn't want it enough (and she got the jump on me.)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cat Lady said:

Ok just had a really good bike leg, and I’m not making excuses because it was a PB BUT what is it with some people, read men, who can’t hack getting overtaken by a woman and do their best to mess with my race.  It was at mooloolaba and I was approaching the turn around.  I stood up to stretch my legs and get a drink blah blah.  A couple of guys passed me.  Fair enough.  I do turn like the titanic in races 😄 once we straightened, I dropped back on the bars and got back up to speed, caught the three guys (on road bikes) who were in a nice little peloton with less than a metre between wheels, rode past them at my comfortable race pace, then all of a sudden they surged past me.  I sat up let them get ahead then dropped back on the bars to find myself closing on them quickly, my race pace had not changed, the road was flat, no reason for their abrupt drop in pace, ie no head wind.  I passed them again.  Same story,   I kept a close eye on my speed after that thinking I was either slowing or the false flats were messing with my rhythm.  This happened half a dozen times and I was getting a bit disgruntled because I had to keep dropping back to let not one but three riders in.   I was trying to work out what to do when another guy went pass me followed by a woman a few meters back.  The little peloton didn’t skip a beat when the male went pass them, but when the girl went pass the leader stood up and sprinted after her, followed by his minions, till they got past her when they pulled in and slowed down.  🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️ She was smarter than me though whereas I’d been sitting up, she just swung out and zoomed away from them.  They tried to go with her but a couple of the false flats broke them, so when I eventually caught them, still maintaining my race pace , I was able to go past and leave them behind me.  Talk about irritating though.

This happ3ns all the time 

not just to females, but to most folks who actually try and follow the rules re drafting (as peter said) 

this type of actions by so many during races  has pretty much lost me to the sport

1 hour ago, Katz said:

... I jokingly said, "oh, are we racing now?" ...

Not sure how I would react to that comment during a race

20 minutes ago, ironpo said:

This happ3ns all the time 

not just to females, but to most folks who actually try and follow the rules re drafting (as peter said) 

this type of actions by so many during races  has pretty much lost me to the sport

Yeah, that happens to me quite a lot.  I've learnt to deal with it better over time.  Sit legal distance behind, have a drink and then pass at the first sign of them slowing down.  And I pick up at least 50 watts to pass to make it harder for them to jump on.

1 hour ago, Katz said:

But how fresh did you look?

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

But how fresh did you look?

As a daisy by the time they finished.