Bored@work

Bad sports, sooks or just full of excuses

On the forum over the last 12months I have heard the following comments. 

* It's an easy course

* It was a draft fest 

* he cut the course 

* the course was short 

*they're basically age group pro's 

* she's a cheat 

* his mates were working for him on the bike 

* I finished fresher than him 

* I would have won but I was tired from working 

* There was only 3 in their age group etc

What ever happened to being a good sport and admitting the other person was faster than you? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People don't like to take responsibility for their own actions.  It's SEP (somebody else's problem (or fault more likely)).

"They don't have kids" is a legitimate whinge. Some may say this is harsh, but I would go as far to say that someone who races and hasn't got kids is a cheat.

Edited by zed
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, zed said:

"They don't have kids" is a legitimate whinge. Some may say this is harsh, but I would go as far to say that someone who hasn't got kids is a cheat.

I forgot that one. 

24 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

On the forum over the last 12months I have heard the following comments. 

* It's an easy course

* It was a draft fest 

* he cut the course 

* the course was short 

*they're basically age group pro's 

* she's a cheat 

* his mates were working for him on the bike 

* I finished fresher than him 

* I would have won but I was tired from working 

* There was only 3 in their age group etc

What ever happened to being a good sport and admitting the other person was faster than you? 

At best there's only three things there that justify being beaten other than through simply not being good enough.  In my experience people who go on to succeed don't make excuses, they make improvements.  I am not one of those people.

• Haha 1

I have found (not on here but twitter/fb and insta) that women make the most claims about drug cheats beating them.

42 minutes ago, Peter said:

I have found (not on here but twitter/fb and insta) that women make the most claims about drug cheats beating them.

Is that because all the men are on the juice?

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

* she's a cheat 

I guess you're referring to my comment in another thread this morning?

More than happy to admit someone is faster than me when they complete the full course.

I've been beaten plenty of times by better athletes, because they are better. 

Edited by AA7

6 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

It was just one example. Not a dig at you. I tried to play it even & use examples from multiple ppl.

If someone beats you having clearly cheated, I don't regard complaining about it as 'bad sport' or 'sooking'.

36 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

It was just one example. Not a dig at you. I tried to play it even & use examples from multiple ppl.

I look forward to your excuse after your next attempt on Norton summit after the #veganism wears off... 😁

37 minutes ago, pieman said:

I look forward to your excuse after your next attempt on Norton summit after the #veganism wears off... 😁

I set my PB last month as a vegan #vegan 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

he'll retire   

Na I'm enjoying road racing. I already have an arch enemy who I'm looking to take down. The guy got me on the line a few weeks ago & cost $15 (the difference between first & second)

No excuses he was a smarter rider than me & rolled me on the line. After the race we shook hands & agreed to race do it again.

• Like 2

It goes deeper than just winging and excuses. It’s about not accepting yourself, the ongoing idea that beating people is a mark of superiority and that life is about pats on the back. 

Time to be at peace within yourself, work hard, enjoy others when they strive and look for life for what it is - a positive struggle. 

FM

7 hours ago, Peter said:

Yep. Drug cheats and course cutting. 

Whatever happened to that old chestnut, "she drafted off the male competitors!" It's as if drafting has been stamped out.

I try not to make any excuses. I just turn up, race the course, people and conditions on the day and the cards fall where they do.

I've telegraphed my target of 1:40 for this Sunday's HM, so obviously setting myself up for a huge fail there. :lol:

27 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I've telegraphed my target of 1:40 for this Sunday's HM, so obviously setting myself up for a huge fail there. :lol:

........not as bad as my 10hr Ironman call.... LOL 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

or my sub11hr IM call

You might not have done it but at least you finished fresh.  

• Haha 1

I thought I was going to win the marathon at LCW. I didn't because I blew. Better athlete spanked me in the last KM. We had a hug at the end. 

Do I get points for being a great sport? ;)

• Like 1

All sports have the woulda, coulda shoulda crowd. Men are worse for it than women, who in general just do it and are happy with the results.

Men at triathlon are appalling, I was going sub 10, but then I had a bad day, I normally ride 300 watts but today I could only do 210

This wasn't an A race I was just rolling around having fun

Ah well if its good enough for Cam wurf

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

All sports have the woulda, coulda shoulda crowd. Men are worse for it than women, who in general just do it and are happy with the results.

Men at triathlon are appalling, I was going sub 10, but then I had a bad day, I normally ride 300 watts but today I could only do 210

Ah well if its good enough for Cam wurf

The difference is Cam states he’s just rolling around before the race starts & he publishes his training on Strava.

6 hours ago, monkie said:

I thought I was going to win the marathon at LCW. I didn't because I blew. Better athlete spanked me in the last KM. We had a hug at the end. 

Do I get points for being a great sport? ;)

Yep. 

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

I disagree that men are worse than women.

I have been to so many Professional Press conferences (one famous one with Mitch Anderson in Busso) but the women NEVER commit to saying they are there to win.

Whereas the men when asked always want to win.

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

I disagree that men are worse than women.

I have been to so many Professional Press conferences (one famous one with Mitch Anderson in Busso) but the women NEVER commit to saying they are there to win.

Whereas the men when asked always want to win.

Was looking at the AG men. Always found AG women to be worse for drafting and TO for letting them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Always found AG women to be worse for drafting and TO for letting them

I remember one of the top women up here in the 80's getting pinged for drafting, and her mum letting loose on the head TO after the race.

She came up and told her mum to settle down, she was.

4 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Was looking at the AG men. Always found AG women to be worse for drafting and TO for letting them

Yep

So very true , and lots of serial offenders year after year 

so much so the one I see from Melbourne continually drafting for years and then winner her age that both myself and mrs Ip call her the draft cheat during the race and also in the street 

(havnt seen her “race” for a few years though )

also called her out walking down alli drive one day

she has no response as she is so blatantly cheating that she can’t reply with anything 

15 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Or my "actually doing IM Cairns" call. :(

Yeah, wasn't 2019 gunna be everyone's year?   :cry: 

16 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yeah, wasn't 2019 gunna be everyone's year?   :cry: 

2019 is year of the fatbike for me 🤔

20 minutes ago, ironpo said:

she has no response as she is so blatantly cheating that she can’t reply with anything 

Except “get fked” 

sounds like you need to “let it go” (frozen singing voice) 

28 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Yep

So very true , and lots of serial offenders year after year 

so much so the one I see from Melbourne continually drafting for years and then winner her age that both myself and mrs Ip call her the draft cheat during the race and also in the street 

(havnt seen her “race” for a few years though )

also called her out walking down alli drive one day

More people draft now than they used to do back in the early 2000's.

Its about PB's. The penalty is 4 minutes? (honestly don't know. I don't draft)

For 4 minutes before the run starts, it's almost an advantage to draft so you have a forced rest and stretch and drink before starting the run.

My point.  Us old timers need to stop worrying about others drafting and just do our own race. I always know my time is MY time. Others don't care about that. They just want athlinks to show their fastest time even if it was assisted.

49 minutes ago, Peter said:

More people draft now than they used to do back in the early 2000's.

Its about PB's. The penalty is 4 minutes? (honestly don't know. I don't draft)

For 4 minutes before the run starts, it's almost an advantage to draft so you have a forced rest and stretch and drink before starting the run.

My point.  Us old timers need to stop worrying about others drafting and just do our own race. I always know my time is MY time. Others don't care about that. They just want athlinks to show their fastest time even if it was assisted.

Totally agree

this one person who you probably know just did it year in year  out and won her age

ripping the other girls off because they weren’t smart enough to draft

never really bothered us , we just wanted her to know that we know she’s a cheat but if she was in mrs IPS age group then it may have been a different story 

im sure she never gives it another thought these days 

Everyone knows a serial drafter whether at the big races or a local. This should just be someone the TO go out and watch like a hawk.

Many new people come to Ironman or half as their firts event and they really have little idea what they are doing or of the rules.

Watch the amount of people who position themselves in the first tier of the swim, when they look like back tier, Now you get the odd super slick fayt guy, but more often they get in the way.

Then people who bought a P5 scream out for an hour. Never drop back when passed, constantly surge, but believe they are within the rules. Generally a member of some nich little group with a L1 or 0 coach name something to tri

They never run much and then go for the 5 hour more marathon all the time lamenting that their 5 minute power and 2 k run TT indicated that they are a sub 10 athlete.

They are all good people but they have bought into IM = triathlon and have no experience so they kind of mess things up. But there is your own square metre, or square metres if you decide to lie down and have a sleep (which I sort of like)

6 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

I dont think I've ever seen a large pack of women drafting, always men. Not saying women dont draft, but their tactic is tacking onto one of the bigger packs or male athletes. That really shits me.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, AA7 said:

That really shits me.

What shits me is all the generalisations being made.

Age Group women, age group men, most women, women, men. 

C'mon. We're talking many thousands of women and men. 

It's all individual opinions, based on what you have seen in your own personal experience, and making stupid meaningless generalisations

6 minutes ago, Turts said:

What shits me is all the generalisations being made.

Age Group women, age group men, most women, women, men. 

C'mon. We're talking many thousands of women and men. 

It's all individual opinions, based on what you have seen in your own personal experience, and making stupid meaningless generalisations

Yes, true. 

But I can honestly say in the more than 100 races I've done over the last decade and a bit, I've never seen a huge pack which is predominantly female.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Yes, true. 

But I can honestly say in the more than 100 races I've done over the last decade and a bit, I've never seen a huge pack which is predominantly female.

Have you seen a race that was predominantly female?

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Have you seen a race that was predominantly female?

No. Are you saying that means there couldn't be pack of females?