Sign in to follow this  
roxii

NSW club champs now a duathlon

From Facebook 

2019 TNSW Club Champs will now follow a Run, Bike, Run race format.

Unfortunately we have just received advice from Orange City Council and their Water Compliance Team that due to high levels of Blue Green Algae, Gosling Reserve has been deemed unfit for recreational activities. Our 2019 TNSW Club Championships Race Director Partner, 
Elite Energy Events, have worked through various options to ensure that the 2019 Club Championships event could include a swim, but no alternative option was viable.

We understand this will be disappointing to our members and those travelling to compete. We hope you understand that the safety and health of our athletes and members must always take priority so the event will continue in a ‘Run, Bike, Run’ format.  Please visit our website for further information on the format changes.
https://bit.ly/2VXKLJv

Once again we thank you for your understanding and look forward to delivering a brilliant race weekend.
//
Elite Energy Events
Triathlon Australia

No need for the goggles or wettie! 

This is good news for those who cannot deal with the cold water out there - temp has been 16 or so degrees in previous years.

Just now, IronmanFoz said:

Sounds like a new location coming up in 2020

Why don't they just do it in Newcastle for 2 years and then The Gong for 2 year and then Coffs for 2 years.

Just keep rotating it.

No Matty Harris on the mic, now no swim!! 

Whats the point ?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep I reckon somewhere on the coast never seen a swim cancelled in the ocean due to algae 😂

if the put it on the south coast and get Matty back I’ll do it haha

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Yep I reckon somewhere on the coast never seen a swim cancelled in the ocean due to algae 😂

if the put it on the south coast and get Matty back I’ll do it haha

I'm out Leesy. Entered this morning and was keen. 12k of running and 30k of biking not my cup of tea

• Like 2

Don’t blame ya mate seriously

“i like duathlon “ said no normal person EVER !

im out as well not that I’ve even entered haha 

im just a professional heckler now😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Just put it in Dapto as a Duathlon...and pretend it's the 90's 🤔😂

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

i know mate. you're still traumatised after Nowra 2017 :)

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Was thinking more like peats ridge 

Transition was at the old Oaks wasn’t it? 

Remember digging deep, puffing like a steam train and all you could smell was cow crap 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, roxii said:

Remember digging deep, puffing like a steam train and all you could smell was cow crap 

One of the first OD's I ever did was at Kooralbyn Valley. Heaps of cattle grids to ride over, and the road was covered in manure. Most of us finished up covered in it from flicking up off the front wheel. 

3 hours ago, MissJess said:

No need for the goggles or wettie! 

This is good news for those who cannot deal with the cold water out there - temp has been 16 or so degrees in previous years.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Coach@triathlon said:

i know mate. you're still traumatised after Nowra 2017 :)

Haha I know I was pissed off that young guy beat us 😂

I’ll try again at 50 when I’m more mature ..

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Transition was at the old Oaks wasn’t it? 

Yep certainly was they had the two races a short course and a longer one.

i was only very young so did the shorter ones 

then got to sit back and watch Clinton Barter absolutely smoke Spotty on one of the races 

• Haha 1

I remember putting the Europa in the back of the XD panel van and cruising up there. 

Aaaaaah the good old days 

• Like 1

So Club Champs moved from Nelson Bay?  I hadn't realised that.

3 minutes ago, FatPom said:

So Club Champs moved from Nelson Bay?  I hadn't realised that.

Ha

It also went to forster a few past years 😂

1 minute ago, Shrek said:

Ha

It also went to forster a few past years 😂

I forget how long I've been away!

7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Sounds like a new location coming up in 2020

That was the expectation anyway, that wont have anything to do with the water, we've just had our time. It's a shame because we were all swimming in the water in last weekends club triathlon.

Hopefully if/when the event shifts on from Orange it will go south so the southern clubs can have a bit of a run at the event also,  just as the north and us in the west have had over the recent years. Share it around the state, give all of the clubs some experience with the event.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Slunnie said:

That was the expectation anyway, that wont have anything to do with the water, we've just had our time. It's a shame because we were all swimming in the water in last weekends club triathlon.

Yeah I was going to point that out when I saw a post from OTC on Facebook. Beat me to it, how was the water then?

Having it clash with one of the biggest National races on the calendar in Mooloolaba ruled it out for myself and 90% of training mates.

Not sure how that oversight came about

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shrek said:

Just put it in Dapto as a Duathlon...and pretend it's the 90's 🤔😂

Ha, yes. It was a qualifier for Worlds in Tas at one point...

12 hours ago, MissJess said:

Yeah I was going to point that out when I saw a post from OTC on Facebook. Beat me to it, how was the water then?

To be honest I didn’t think too much about the water other than it has cooled a bit and next time I’d wear a wetsuit. But, when I stripped off the trisuit there was a bit of gunge inside it which I thought was really weird. It all washed out and I just thought it was dirt from the bottom being stirred up from where the sand ran out and the mud took over, but in hindsight maybe it was actually algae from the swim - I’m not sure. I’m not aware of anybody getting sick from the water on the weekend but that’s not to say much. 

On 12/03/2019 at 5:25 PM, oldschool69#2 said:

Was thinking more like peats ridge 

or Oran park 😂

I still ride up to Peats Ridge for my long rides! Memories..........

• Like 1

Thank you Tri NSW and elite  energy putting on an excellent event despite the drought. Caught up with a couple of trannies on the run but unfortunately had to head back so couldn't attend the post race party. So a big shout out to miss jess and ironjimbo who I said Hi to and Hi to gregb who I saw in starting line up but I started at the back so didn't say Hi 

hope some of this rain moves west they really need it, they should rename Orange they should call it Brown

• Like 3

On 13/03/2019 at 10:05 AM, bumcrackjack said:

Having it clash with one of the biggest National races on the calendar in Mooloolaba ruled it out for myself and 90% of training mates.

Not sure how that oversight came about

Sanctioning approves all races, would not be an oversight....unless of course nobody runs the sport.

Well, its moving back to a coastal location next year (not sure how much more I can say yet), although who knows how long that will be for before we get run out of another town 🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Clappers said:

Thank you Tri NSW and elite  energy putting on an excellent event despite the drought. Caught up with a couple of trannies on the run but unfortunately had to head back so couldn't attend the post race party. So a big shout out to miss jess and ironjimbo who I said Hi to and Hi to gregb who I saw in starting line up but I started at the back so didn't say Hi 

hope some of this rain moves west they really need it, they should rename Orange they should call it Brown

Good to see you again mate, I gave you a shout out as you were starting your last run lap but you might not have heard me

5 hours ago, MissJess said:

Well, its moving back to a coastal location next year (not sure how much more I can say yet), although who knows how long that will be for before we get run out of another town 🤣

I don't think it has been run out of any of the towns as far as I've been hearing??? I also think to stay in any one location as a NSW championships is incredibly lame.

It was getting difficult dealing with Forster. But councils do change :) 

@Clappers it was great seeing you out there too!

Edited by MissJess

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 10:47 PM, Slunnie said:

Hopefully if/when the event shifts on from Orange it will go south so the southern clubs can have a bit of a run at the event also,  just as the north and us in the west have had over the recent years. Share it around the state, give all of the clubs some experience with the event.

Back in the day when Ironman Australia was in April the club champs was often a week or two later. And it really did represent the end of the tri season for most, hence big attendance by clubs.

So going forward they need to chose there date well as this weekend conflicted with:

a) Bathurst to Blayney bike ride

b) Mooloolaba

c) and a lot of people training for ironman still want to stay home and do there long ride.

I hear Forster has got it back next year!

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Forster in mid-May is what I've heard

Bloody hell that's mid winter.

Back when club champs was after Ironman was based on when Ironman used to be first weekend in April (insert old man voice) "back in the day" ...... and yes it really was an end of season celebration where no one had to "save themselves" for anything else.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Forster in mid-May is what I've heard

Correct. Swim location has also been confirmed. Just need to get a date sorted.

4 hours ago, roxii said:

Back when club champs was after Ironman was based on when Ironman used to be first weekend in April (insert old man voice) "back in the day" ...... and yes it really was an end of season celebration where no one had to "save themselves" for anything else.

Hey old man...... are you echoing what I typed a few posts higher?

Regards.....

Another old man. ;)

1 minute ago, IronmanFoz said:

Hey old man...... are you echoing what I typed a few posts higher?

Regards.....

Another old man. ;)

Ha ha, yeah.  At least your old legs still work :lol:  My hip, shoulder and now it seems eyes are all gone! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Back in the day when Ironman Australia was in April the club champs was often a week or two later. And it really did represent the end of the tri season for most, hence big attendance by clubs.

So going forward they need to chose there date well as this weekend conflicted with:

a) Bathurst to Blayney bike ride

b) Mooloolaba

c) and a lot of people training for ironman still want to stay home and do there long ride.

I hear Forster has got it back next year!

Yep, I agree, it clashed with a lot, but its also a pretty compact calendar for TNSW to negotiate.

I understand Forster also. A popular location but a shame for those in the rural south of the state.

11 hours ago, roxii said:

I remember my first Club Champs in 2001  (you could enter as individual then), I drove into Port Stephens and asked a guy where the transition/ car park was and he said

' Down the bottom of Misery Hill mate' :lol:

That was a rude start to the bike, out of the car park and straight up. Stopping for the dismount line coming back was equally 'interesting' ! 

Bloody hard little course especially being a duathlon, as for the move and date, not sure on easter next year but the Forster date of this year would work as it doesn't clash with other races ( well at this time)

• Like 1