Peter

Formula One 2019

Pretty pumped this season.  Going to the Aussie race and Singapore.

But just stumbled across the Netflix Series from Formula 1 - Drive to survive. 

Only 2 episodes in.  Pretty professional show

I really hope the Renault will be good enough for Ricciardo to get amongst it

I saw a story the other day saying he'll be the third highest paid driver on the grid this year - A$49 million...

1 hour ago, Peter said:

yep, one of the best series i have seen on netflix. really interesting to know what goes on behind the scenes. can't quite work out why Ricardo went over to renault as they suppled red bull with their engines which were shite. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

How do you get these expenditure requests approved by the all mighty Minister for Fun and Finance? :blink:

12 minutes ago, more said:

How do you get these expenditure requests approved by the all mighty Minister for Fun and Finance? :blink:

You can't believe it but come september we will be married 20 years. So I suggested Singapore for a short break and she can do some shopping.  And it's just amazing that the F1 is on at exactly the same time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, more said:

Oh and I'm not doing Kona this year so saving the $1764 on the entry fee

53 minutes ago, Prince said:

yep, one of the best series i have seen on netflix. really interesting to know what goes on behind the scenes. can't quite work out why Ricardo went over to renault as they suppled red bull with their engines which were shite. 

Thats the biggest sticking point for me, i can undertsand going after some money whilst you are relevant, but i hope his car (engine) gives him a decent chance to actually get some quality results.  He breathes new life into F1 for Australian fans! so podiums would be great!

9 minutes ago, Pencil_Towel said:

Thats the biggest sticking point for me, i can undertsand going after some money whilst you are relevant, but i hope his car (engine) gives him a decent chance to actually get some quality results.  He breathes new life into F1 for Australian fans! so podiums would be great!

Yes, its why red bull themselves ditched renault this year to now run honda engines. From the doco on netflix, there is no shortage of young drivers either so with Daniel now in his thirties, this could be do or die. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

You can't believe it but come september we will be married 20 years. So I suggested Singapore for a short break and she can do some shopping.  And it's just amazing that the F1 is on at exactly the same time.

Clearly she has not cottoned on to the fact that shopping in Singapore is not as good as it was 20 years ago :)

Peter 1

Wife 0

Edited by IronmanFoz

He didn't really have anywhere else to go. He wanted out of Redbull, Ferrari and Mercedes didn't want him and Renault are paying him a motza 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, more said:

One of the guys that works for my team is off to Melbourne tomorrow for the week. I remember about 5 years ago his wife rang me to check he could get leave at a certain time, so she could surprise him with tickets to Singapore GP for his 50th Birthday.

Then the next year they took 3 months off to travel Europe and do the full GP circuit. I think they saw 5 races while over there. Whilst he loves the GP racing, his wife is actually a bigger fan (and gets corporate area tickets in Melbourne every year).

ps: He told me that if you are a GP fan, you HAVE  to do Monaco.

Riccardo apparently getting 49mill a year to switch; 3 times what he got at Red Bull.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Riccardo apparently getting 49mill a year to switch; 3 times what he got at Red Bull.

I always thought the driver themselves bought the sponsors with them and hence what they got paid.

Do f1 drivers pay to drive?
A pay driver is a driver for a professional auto racing team who, instead of beingpaid by the owner of his car, drives for free and brings with him either personal sponsorship or personal or family funding to finance the team's operations. ... It is sometimes called a ride buyer or in sports car series a gentleman driver.

BTW Lewis gets 140 mill a year.  Guessing he has no idea what it's like to get on a plane and turn right.

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

I always thought the driver themselves bought the sponsors with them and hence what they got paid.

BTW Lewis gets 140 mill a year.  Guessing he has no idea what it's like to get on a plane and turn right.

honestly, what can you do with 140 mil that you can't do with 10 mil?   its all crazy. 

Meanwhile, Round-1 of MGP last Sunday - multiple overtakes on the last lap and a desperado on the last corner, 0.023s separating 1st & 2nd, less than 1s covering the first 5, intrigue and accusations of rule-bending, protests, dismissals and applications to the FIM court of appeals...

26 minutes ago, Peter said:

lol reminds me of a time I took the family on a holiday and had a few complimentary upgrades so bumped us all to business class on the way over with Virgin in the A330.

On the way back though it was back to economy and we had to turn right. The flight over was the little fellas first flight, so all he knew was nice big lounge chairs. Seeing we were turning right he made a bit of a scene at the door on why we weren't going to the 'big chairs' and that the small chairs looked like 'rubbish'...:whistling:

Edited by more
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Peter said:

Yeah, found it y'day, have had half an ear to the first 8 or so episodes while working.  Need to watch them all again, they are great.  Damn it's a highly-strung sport.

23 hours ago, goughy said:

Episode 4 pretty much explains why he moved.  or was taken by renault.

Redbull dumped their engine so renault stole daniel from Redbull.  Reading between the lines

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Episode 4 pretty much explains why he moved.  or was taken by renault.

Redbull dumped their engine so renault stole daniel from Redbull.  Reading between the lines

true.  i understand that, but all the money in the world paid to Daniel isn't going to help him win a world championship if renaults engines are still crap. 

14 minutes ago, Prince said:

true.  i understand that, but all the money in the world paid to Daniel isn't going to help him win a world championship if renaults engines are still crap. 

They have a new engine.   

I am surprised Lewis is still racing.  Shitload of money.  A true champion. Could die at any second. 

On 12/03/2019 at 1:45 PM, Limited said:

He didn't really have anywhere else to go. He wanted out of Redbull, Ferrari and Mercedes didn't want him and Renault are paying him a motza 

Yep agree with this. I'd take the money and run too because I don't think he was going to win a Championship at Redbull.

2 hours ago, nealo said:

Yep agree with this. I'd take the money and run too because I don't think he was going to win a Championship at Redbull.

Christian Horner to equvelant at Renault "have you got any money left for engines, now you spent it all on a driver?"

Ouch.

2019 season will see the youngest drivers on the grid since 1950!

Should be complete carnage 😆

BTW Team Force India may see me have to rethink my oft statement about Asian drivers ("have you ever seen an Asian driver win an F1 race")....though the sentiment still largely holds in my experience :P

On 12/03/2019 at 2:27 PM, Peter said:

In 2017 Lewis Hamilton paid $25 million US for his own private jet

Edited by Mike Del

Just now, Mike Del said:

In 2017 Lewis Hamilton paid $25 million US for his own private jet

I'd say he turns right when he gets on that. He'd pay someone to drive.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Can't wait till 17yo Sophia steps up to F1 😲. Damn she was lucky.

Might have to add her to the 'must follow on Instagram' list...

• Haha 1

On 12/03/2019 at 3:27 PM, Peter said:

I think that scenario varies depending on your level of skill and what level of racing you are trying to pursue. 

There are plenty of lower categories where the seats are paid for by reasonable drivers with deep pockets. 

At supercars level, lower drives need to bring a sponsorship package with them and some more talented drivers without connections can miss out on a drive if they dont have backing. 

At F1 level Im pretty sure most of thedrivers have got beyond that scenario by the time they are here, that would have happened in their moves from carts etc to the lower ranks of fomula racing. However at the F1 and a few levels below they woudl be being headhunted regardless of what money or sponsors they do or do not have behind them 

In episode 5 with the demise of Force India poor old Estaban gets the arse because Sergio brought on the Telco giant from mexico.

And Lance Strolls billionaire dad, well, bought force india so now he can drive there.

Just shows, you can be the best driver but without money, you won't drive.

It's always been that way unfortunately

Even Juan Manuel Fangio was partly backed by the Argentine government

In Australian Motorsport a prime example of someone with oodles of talent but not oodles of money is Ryal Harris, this kid should have been driving v8 supercars years ago but has battled along in V8 Utes for for over 10 yrs now and won multiple championships and has this year also been given a drive in the touring car masters.

I've known and followed Ryal since his karting days, so much talent, so little money.  at one point years ago he had a drive lined up with a multiple championship winning team, only to be told sorry mate, we have just had someone come to the team with a sponsorship deal or big dollars, (essentially bought the drive), this guy has now won a V8 title and will win more.

Money talks in Motorsport, its a real shame we see drivers like Ryal not given a shot in the big time, not sure if the utes or TCM are racing in Melbourne this weekend but if they are watch Ryal tear it up in his EFS sponsored ute and camaro

Ryal is good mates with one of my cousins.  Top bloke and a real talent

He was doing shooeys before a certain Daniel Ricciardo too, just quietly...

18 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Finished the series, it was awesome. I might even watch the race this weekend. 

You should come over.  I have a spare ticket to the stands above the pits.  Free food and drink all day sat and sunday.

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Yeah, I'm gonna watch it again properly as I only had half an eye on it with my head in B17 internals.

Will be stuck in Sydney while the girls shop this weekend, so will probs watch the race also 👍

3 hours ago, Peter said:

You should come over.  I have a spare ticket to the stands above the pits.  Free food and drink all day sat and sunday.

Na. I'm doing a road race on Sunday. I need to take down my arch enemy.

Up to Episode 8.

What I find interesting is that it seems almost every driver wants to driver for Ferrari.

So why would Ferrari pay guys so much money?

Sebastian vettel salary 2018 USD$50 million

Just pay him 10 million or let him leave.

21 minutes ago, Peter said:

Up to Episode 8.

What I find interesting is that it seems almost every driver wants to driver for Ferrari.

So why would Ferrari pay guys so much money?

Sebastian vettel salary 2018 USD$50 million

Just pay him 10 million or let him leave.

Solid point, given that he pretty much threw away the championship last year with his mistakes

It's not a stretch to suggest that Ricciardo probably would have won last year with that car

On 13/03/2019 at 7:49 PM, Bored@work said:

Christian Horner to equvelant at Renault "have you got any money left for engines, now you spent it all on a driver?"

Ouch.

So far in Melb, this is coming back to haunt Renault 

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

So far in Melb, this is coming back to haunt Renault 

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Oh hang on, the 2 Renaults now in 6th & 7th fastest.

Are they taking bets on the Renault engine or Honda blowing up first?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Peter said:

Are they taking bets on the Renault engine or Honda blowing up first?

I'll say Renault blows first.  Back Japanese engines over Euros every time 😉

• Haha 1

On 12/03/2019 at 12:27 PM, Peter said:

Who turns right on an international flight these days 😎

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 12:13 PM, Bored@work said:

My sentiments exactly, thanks for the heads up on this series, was great to watch and ive only ever watched MotoGP.

Now i'll pay some attention to F1.

On 16/03/2019 at 6:28 PM, chris said:

Who turns right on an international flight these days 😎

people who ride Giants.....

My parents are off to watch Monaco and Spain this year.

They have done Belgium in the past and maybe a couple of others?