Hi All,

Some of you may know me from a number of years ago. I had the monikor Coach@Triathlon and Mickbillfrank but might have got banned, sanctioned, or forgot the password.

I would like to contribute to the forum again and encourage some others from my period - where this site was probably in its renaissance with regard to info, congeniality, quality contributors, respect, and community.

I have been doing what I always do in the sport - training, racing, coaching and, as an older atlete,  raising 5 beautiful human beings. Life has been up and down with my mum and dad getting sick with cancer and other challenges with work. Triathlon and my mates have always centred me and why I choose Triathlon over heroin :)  Although I drink far too much and blame Scott Molina as an early role model for that :)

I'm 52 now and really shitty at how much I've slowed down. Raced Husky sprint recently and as much as I love the racing - it is still a head scramble crunching splits and making unrealistic comparisons with my 25 year old self.

Just stepped off the TA Board after a wonderful 7 years and my 3 terms. I have all the confidence in the world in President Michelle Cooper and CEO Miles Stewart - I know many of you see TA as the nasty ogre in the sport - but volunteering in that space is not easy and 99% of people do it for the right reasons despite what some uninformed on here might tell you.

I'm coaching swimming at Engadine pool still and advising the odd athlete here and there. Currently guiding boxer Ryan Waters (went 15 rounds with Mundine) on a program for Port 70.3 and Busso. interesting, I've noticed boxers and swimmers are the easiest people to coach. Ryan would jump off a cliff if I told him to. He has a long way to go but sure he will smash his first triathlon.

Anyway, hope everyone is well - the reason I walked away from Transiitons was the trolling. It's an underbelly that this joint can sometimes do and it really only takes away from the value that an online community can provide.

Hope to see some of you at Club Champs NSW next weekend. Love and kisses Mick

Edited by Coach@triathlon
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

G'day Mick, welcome back! Good to see you at Husky, and will no doubt see you at club champs. 

No kisses though.

Edited by Stem

Pretty sure I can bring (one) of your old accounts back from the dead if you like... 

Pleased to see a quality contributor back again - welcome back coach@.

• Thanks 1

You can only come back if you bring Jabbs with you 😉

Glad you are back.  Was wondering the other day how you were getting on.  Calves still stuffed or did you get on top of that?

Welcome back, there's still plenty of cocks around (myself included). You probably missed it but the long running 'what training did you do today' was inspired by your old threads and was titled 'in memory of coach@'

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

You can only come back if you bring Jabbs with you 😉

Glad you are back.  Was wondering the other day how you were getting on.  Calves still stuffed or did you get on top of that?

After10 years of calf tears - futile exercises - and compression socks - I changed shoes - lo and behold!!! We are all different, hit the ground differently, biomechanically unique. It's all about the shoe ;)

18 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Still looked slick at the Nowra sprint

Really? Grey hair, 10 year old bike, and threadbare tri suit? Thanks for saying that mate

14 minutes ago, prizna said:

Welcome back, there's still plenty of cocks around (myself included). You probably missed it but the long running 'what training did you do today' was inspired by your old threads and was titled 'in memory of coach@'

I saw that mate - always interested in what people do day in day out - thanks for keeping that going - I was down in Currarong today at the caravan - we bought it late last year and has changed our lives. No devices and kids bond and laugh together. Just gold. I rode 50 oddk on the bike in prep for orange next weekend. Only time i ride on the road is down there. Shire riding is death-defying these days

Welcome back! I'm a relative newcomer around here and can safely say the trolling is pretty much non-existent. It's a great place to be!

Welcome back, not a big poster here myself anymore. You've been absent from here about as long as I have been from Triathlon in general.

Something got bumped the other day from a while back about you and Ironman. What happened there? Was it the calf?

Young bloke still going with footy this year?

25 minutes ago, Coach@Triathlon-2.0 said:

Really? Grey hair, 10 year old bike, and threadbare tri suit? Thanks for saying that mate

Well yes, you were slick if not looking like one of those 25 year olds. Need to be careful with those threadbare tri suits

Edited by BarryBevan

Hey Mick, nice to hear from you.

as you may have noticed Willie runs the joint nowadays. So he is your go to guy. Now we can keep our chats to pleasantries and reminiscing about the good old days :lol: 

21 minutes ago, roxii said:

Hey Mick, nice to hear from you.

as you may have noticed Willie runs the joint nowadays. So he is your go to guy. Now we can keep our chats to pleasantries and reminiscing about the good old days :lol: 

Maybe I should've said I'll bring coach@ back pending the above :P

51 minutes ago, Coach@Triathlon-2.0 said:

After10 years of calf tears - futile exercises - and compression socks - I changed shoes - lo and behold!!! We are all different, hit the ground differently, biomechanically unique. It's all about the shoe ;)

Which shoes?

Not that I'm likely to ever run again, but interested to know.

27 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Need to be careful with those threadbare tri suits

There was a girl in the local tri club who rode with the cycle club in threadbare knicks back in the day......we never told her.

4 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Which shoes?

Not that I'm likely to ever run again, but interested to know.

Brooks - ran in nike since i was 18. prior to that it was dunlop kt26 because of financial restrictions :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Coach@triathlon said:

Brooks - ran in nike since i was 18. prior to that it was dunlop kt26 because of financial restrictions :) 

Lol, I've run & raced in Brooks for decades.  But when I tried to get back into running after my knees shat themselves, my calves kept popping, even in the Brooks (Ghosts now).  The calves I could cope with, the knees, nope.  I just walk in the Ghosts now every morning to loosen the knees up.

as i observed in my small mind CN- everyone hits the ground differently. my left leg was mangled in a car crash. calves and hammies on that side always struggle. the brooks shoes took away the calf popping. hammie is till a problem but at least i can move faster than walking for 5k at least.

Who? Shire what? Coaching what? Did you say Rick Abalone? Lol

welcome back dude.

Great to see you back. Please note that dad jokes are not allowed in TriChat - only Sandbox. I think your contribution to both areas will be outstanding. 

Keep on smiling  

FM

• Like 1

Great to see you back. Always some of the best, no BS advice came from you.

@willie can you confirm the very credible twitter rumour that Coach was responsible for the temporary outage today?

An influx of new/returning members after seeing the return of the great man?

Virtual DDOS attack as he tried to remember his password?

• Like 1

Hope to keep up the posts - rooted after a 50k ride yesterday on shitty south coast bitumen - but safe as houses. Ute drivers dont try to kill you down there. The only time i get out on the bike is down at the caravan. Ran 10k this morning as slow as a wet week and swam 3k with the kiddies after - trying to keep up. Orange club champs will be a challenge but upup Cronulla as usual. :) Hills and Warringah will dominate with numbers as usual.

My kids have so much shit on this year - my middle girls made the All schools Australian Hockey team. Germany and Netherlands. 3 jobs will pay for that and the odd chook raffle :) Any tips on what to see over there in between games is welcome. I'm a WW2 buff and see myself going to any monument and concentration camp I can with a good supply of kleenex.

I ride at dawn - albeit at Anytime Fitness Engadine on the spin bike chatting to the 4am 'mental health escape from the crazy family for an hour club.'  So cathartic.

Edited by Coach@triathlon
  • Like 1

Good to see you round here again. I rarely post and haven't even been to a triathlon since the last IM Melbourne (RIP). But I still enjoy following the elite races and results. Good to hear your confidence in the TA folks leading the sport.

I hear what you're saying re, slow-down. I'm 50 this year and since 45 my performance (I only run these days) has fallen off a cliff, but on the flip side can still be competitive in my age group. Kinda looking forward to 50 to enter a new age group!!

On that topic...what are you doing / have you done to maintain your performance as you've got older? What have you changed and/or kept the same?

BTW...it's nearly 10 years since the L2 coaching course we did at Runaway Bay...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Coach@triathlon said:

I'm a WW2 buff and see myself going to any monument and concentration camp I can with a good supply of kleenex.

Me too, currently building a 1/72 scale Memphis Belle.  Great movie.

The Mrs has been asked to help present a research paper in Guam later this year. Wondering if I should tag along as there are lots of WW2 relics there.....but not much in the way of fly-fishing unfortunately.

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

The Mrs has been asked to help present a research paper in Guam later this year. Wondering if I should tag along as there are lots of WW2 relics there.....but not much in the way of fly-fishing unfortunately.

No saltwater small game fly-fishing available?

I am waiting. For the return of Tony U in full flight. I reckon it to the second  coming of Christ!? 😜

• Like 1

Welcome back, you don't know me but my wife was on stage with you at the 2009 Worlds, both winning your age. We are in Orange, they have changed the bike course from the worst road in the district to the second worst but there is little choice. If anyone is up for a challenge with a view, try the ride up Mt Canobolas, it's about 15km from town and about a 5k climb on the bike, pretty steep in a couple of parts but easily doable on a tri bike. Good luck everyone.

• Like 1

Welcome back Mick. Great to have you around again.

As said previously, keep your dad jokes to FB and you will be fine......... 😂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr Tinman said:

Ahoy F**kers!

Holy Crap, Mr Tinman's here too. Must have heard there was a free feed...

Nah, been lurking every now and then for a little while, but when I saw Coach@ is back, figured Id make an appearance.

Just need to resist the urge to visit the politics thread....I assume its still going 🙂

• Thanks 1

Yep sure is. 

Same shit different leaders :lol:

How ya been mate? 

11 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Me too, currently building a 1/72 scale Memphis Belle.  Great movie.

Don't mind waving the long wand myself. Mainly bass but occasionally tuna and trevs in the salt. 

12 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Don't mind waving the long wand myself. Mainly bass but occasionally tuna and trevs in the salt. 

I've just started guiding for bass (fly & lure) on a spectacular private property stream around here.  God they are a temperamental fish though!

Great to see you back, it reads like the caravan has done wonders which is good news, top spot.  Be careful on those roads down there, plenty of boats on trailers that come back in a bit quick and roos early morning that can do anything.  That 4am wind trainer sounds where it is at but nothing replaces the feeling of freedom on the road.  Welcome.

On 12/03/2019 at 5:37 PM, roxii said:

Yep sure is. 

Same shit different leaders :lol:

How ya been mate? 

Yeah alright mate

Starting to look at the bike hanging on the garage wall covered in dust and with flat tyres and thinking I would be nice to get out and train again, but when you've had 4 days off all year, it makes it a big hard 

But, thems the breaks getting a newish business off the ground, but hope to have more time soon ( as well as finish the damn lap pool!)