Peter

Kona 70-74 Champ. If you think it will be easy at that age, think again

So listening to a podcast about this guy.

He went sub 12 in Kona at 71 years old.

Had a head to head battle for 4 hours on the run with an Austrian dude.

But the training and preparation he did was amazing at that age. He was basically training like a pro.

Qualifying at that age might be easy when it's just you or one other person but to win and go sub 12 at that age.  incredible 

http://www.imtalk.me/blog/2019/3/4/imtalk-episode-656-

image.png.2a5ba7652047b21478987da21be06e61.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RunBrettRun said:

Yeah but last year was easy, anyone could go sub 12.

It will be interesting to see how Kevin Ferguson goes if he's still racing at that age.

• Like 2

I know Herman 

amazing nice bloke, fit as f@ck and you would swear he was only 50 

talking to him after the race , he was spewing he lost as he had a flat tyre and a drama in the swim 🏊‍♀️ 

saying that he was very humble and gave the winner the kudos he deserved, he said the winner was just better on the day 

Herman has won his age quite a few times at Kona and raced Kona about 18 times I think , but hadn’t been back for 5 years 

he said when he raced  5 years ago the condo he was staying in was about $3k for the month 

this time around it was $6.5k 

IMTalk this week have an interview with this dudes coach, as well as him.

1 minute ago, goughy said:

IMTalk this week have an interview with this dudes coach, as well as him.

I haven’t got rhat far thru yet.  

Yeah I listened to the IM Talk podcast as well.  Gees he trained like a Pro and had the support like a super star.  The video of the finish is pretty good.

Come on Al.  Can you get in the mix with these guys?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit Jase said:

Yeah I listened to the IM Talk podcast as well.  Gees he trained like a Pro and had the support like a super star.  The video of the finish is pretty good.

Not while he still likes working the tools and building pizza ovens in his 'spare time'...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Notsofast said:

Does this make sub 12 the new sub 13?

No, means that age groups should not start until 65😉

open until then

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Infinit Jase said:

Yeah this year - I mustn't have gone hard enough - I finished in a lot better shape than him but I was back at 12.15 🙄

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AP said:

Yeah this year - I mustn't have gone hard enough - I finished in a lot better shape than him but I was back at 12.15 🙄

No use looking fresh and in good form at the finish mate. You will never get on TV or make the race video that way. 

You could send this guy your Cyco's core exercise program so next year he will "stand up better" when running the back end of his marathon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AP said:

You failed on the bike compared to the guys that beat you. 

Guessing you never really did the hill repeats in the rain like you pretended you were doing. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bored@work said:

He finished first. Who cares how he looked when he finished. He won. 

That's the point Bored@. He did what it takes! 

Oh shit that's a Lance ism, ......... fark better not use that.

On 08/03/2019 at 9:33 AM, Peter said:

Qualifying at that age might be easy when it's just you or one other person

Thanks for posting, Peter, but I'm not sure about qualifying being "easy" when you're over 70.

It's a relatively small category largely because it's so difficult to stay fit enough, strong enough, fast enough, and injury-free enough to even complete IM at that age.

Those still active in the sport for the long haul like AP are doing extraordinarily well to maintain IM race fitness. There's relatively few active 65 year olds in the general population that you could coach over 5 years to achieve a KQ. Whereever these guys are coming from to qualify, we're talking about the best 70 year olds on the planet at what they do in a very demanding sport.

It can be easy to take their achievements for granted and normalise IM when we're so close to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

That's the point Bored@. He did what it takes! 

Oh shit that's a Lance ism, ......... fark better not use that.

Yep exactly what I was saying. No point finishing second & looking fresh. Surprised there wasn’t sooking about him getting paced for the last 400m 😔

Listened to the IM talk podcast, the interveiw with his coach was interesting.

Not surprising allot of what he said was having a plan, delivering on the plan, physical and mental conditioning, diet, not over running; volume or frequency. This AP tells us when asked.

Paul its easier when your 70 plus when you are the only one thats shows up. 

Look at some of the womens 70plus. One or two if them. 

As i said above. Its seriously impressive at that age. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

True, it's easier to qualify if you finish and your the only one in ur age group. 

But it's harder to get to even the start line, let alone the finish line. 

46 minutes ago, Peter said:

I get what your saying, Peter. And I'm not trying to be contrary, rather recognise the achievement that I'm pretty sure is your point in posting. :thumbsup:

I just think that "showing up" is altogether different beyond 70. Even more so for women who socially haven't had same support and encouragement in sport when they were younger. A 71 year old woman would have already been 40 when the 10000 metres was first introduced to the athletics at Olympic level.

I view these age groups altogether differently than say F18-24. (Excuse me while I release the worms. :unsure:)

It does have me wondering how many of us seriously anticipate that we'll be doing IM after we reach 70? I doubt I will.

I don’t want to be racing Ironman or working at 70. 

I want to be retired. Riding my bike & doing the odd handicap road race.

plus walking the dog every day. If I’m still working at 70 I have failed 

14 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I used to think exactly that. But over the past few years, my thoughts have changed a bit.

If I have to be working at 70, I've failed. But if I'm still working at 70, because I want to be working, then that's fine by me. I don't intend it to be 37hrs a week, but I'm starting to think I may feel like being employed in some way, just to have a "sense of purpose". I've seen too many people lose that when they retire.

Once again it's a personal choice - I personally love what I do - I get great satisfaction out of all the different things I'm still able to do - for me personally being retired at this young age would be failing 

Today I laid bricks for 6hrs putting a new coping around a swimming pool, it reached 37C - I just drank more and paced myself, I feel fine now - tomorrow morning I have a 2hr run around Mt Cootha twice - then back to the bricks - I'll keep it back to maybe 4hrs - but seriously our expectations create our future 

The great Lew Hollander did his last Ironman in Kona at 83yrs - he was still going to work  every day at 80yrs - and working around his ranch every day (he has 68 acres in Oregon)

One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to give up doing what you love - and if what you do is not what you love - find what you love and do that as long as you can 😎

On 09/03/2019 at 8:59 PM, Bored@work said:

I’m going to do volunteer work. 

You can volunteer to work for me if you want!  I'll still be working at 75.

amazes me the genetic card these peeps are dealt.  not dead, not not able.  It is quite amazing they not only still want to do it, but can do it. just sensational.