Bored@work

$1742 to race Kona?

I would enter Kona in a heartbeat if I could!  But seeing that entry fee, it's times like this I'm glad I'm shithouse!

13 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

$1742 to race Kona.......... damm that's getting expensive.

Entry+

sales tax+

active fee+

one day race licence+

finisherpix pack (without video)

Multiplied by current exchange rate. 

I just mentioned it to my wife when I saw it in the other thread. It's a moot point now, but I had always wanted to go back if/when my knee got better.

In a way I'm glad I don't have to make that decision any more.

Yeah so it's not cheap.

1700 entry

10 nights in kona (minimum stays) with shit exchange rate has me at 340ish a night

flights - budget 1k return should cover you on shitstar

add expense whilst there.

Edited by prizna
Edit: mine was 1551.36 in december

18 minutes ago, prizna said:

Yeah so it's not cheap.

1700 entry

10 nights in kona (minimum stays) with shit exchange rate has me at 340ish a night

At least the flights are acceptable. They were dearer than that in 1990.

Dont forgot bike transport! I'm glad I am shit and cannot even do an Ironman.

The partner says we should go over and watch one year, nah. I heard you need a small loan for average accommodation. 

54 minutes ago, prizna said:

Yeah so it's not cheap.

1700 entry

LOL 😂

Plus the $150 x 4 legs for your bike. 

its time they started moving the world championships around. 

Mind you they could charge $4000 and people would pay it at least once. 

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

Mind you they could charge $4000 and people would pay it at least once. 

Yep, If I wanted to do it I would pay it. I wanted to race Arizona so stumped up a stupid amount of cash. To race with my buddies was worth it.

My entrance fee is $1256 US.

My accommodation is $313 US per night for 10 nights. 

Return flights ~ $1500 AUD.

Fortunately I am paid in US dollars and should be able to use frequent flyer points for about 50% of the flights.

Being a Legacy athlete this is a one off for me. I do not know how some people can afford to go back year after year.

If you go to Kona at any other time of the year the same accommodation is nearly 50% cheaper.

#$%@ the cost this is a once in a life time opportunity and I AM GOING TO KONA.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Peter said:

LOL 😂

Plus the $150 x 4 legs for your bike. 

its time they started moving the world championships around. 

If you check through its 150 for the whole trip.  We flew Hawaiian Sydney to kona on one ticket and paid 150.

On the way home we stopped in Honolulu and paid 50 from kona to hon and 150 hon to Sydney.

it's all worth it so I can buy a USD$20 water bottle that says Ironman World championship 2019 on it. Imagine how many people are going to look at me on awe when they see that bad ass bottle on the edge of the pool**

*Doesn't actually use water bottle at swimming
** Not a real qualifier.

Edited by prizna

3 hours ago, MissJess said:

The partner says we should go over and watch one year, nah. I heard you need a small loan for average accommodation. 

You can get some stuff up around Waikoloa for a relatively decent rate, but you definitely need a rental car then.

Race day as an out of town spectator is a looong day.

24 minutes ago, prizna said:

it's all worth it so I can buy a USD$20 water bottle that says Ironman World championship 2019 on it. Imagine how many people are going to look at me on awe when they see that bad ass bottle on the edge of the pool*

I got a really cool black sloppy joe with flouro writing that says IM world Championships. I think I wore it once. :)

43 minutes ago, prizna said:

it's all worth it so I can buy a USD$20 water bottle that says Ironman World championship 2019 on it. Imagine how many people are going to look at me on awe when they see that bad ass bottle on the edge of the pool*

I thought your asterisk was to denote a roll-down slot 🤔

Edited by Hoffy86
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, prizna said:

It’s worth the money. Just so u can use the fact you have raced Kona as the evidence to back up all your statements and put an emoji in every post  😏

• Like 1

Qualify, buy a spot, legacy. Good luck to you.

If you have the means; talent, longevity or cash....well good on you, go for it.

The price is only relevant to you. What it means to you is your call but keep your knickers on what it means to others.

oh, I got an Airbnb for 7 days on course, family walked to the start race morning, lot cheaper than 10 days at $300 plus.

still have both kidneys so got one to sell if there is a next time 😁

Edited by Leon
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, monkie said:

I'd do it in a flash if any possible way came towards me. 

You're a CEO and you run like a very fast thing. You're halfway there already :thumbsup:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bored@work said:

$1742 to race Kona.......... damm that's getting expensive.

you don't want it enough😀

• Haha 1

As someone who spends plenty of time on the big island

Best advice is to go for a month (or more) 

2 weeks before and two weeks after

flights are cheaper , accommodation is about the same for 28 days compared to 10 ironman days 

Edited by ironpo

12 hours ago, Hoffy86 said:

I thought your asterisk was to denote a roll-down slot 🤔

I amended my post to accurately reflect my status, any further mistakes were made as I couldn't see my screen through my tears after reading your post.

Edited by prizna
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ironpo said:

As someone who spends plenty of time on the big island

Best advice is to go for a month (or more) 

Those who aren't self employed may experience some difficulties doing this.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, prizna said:

Those who aren't self employed may experience some difficulties doing this.

you work in IT, surely this can be done anywhere in the world these days?

51 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

you work in IT, surely this can be done anywhere in the world these days?

Correction: I attend a location and sit near a computer, I do not 'work'.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, FatPom said:

You're a CEO and you run like a very fast thing. You're halfway there already :thumbsup:

You don't need to be a CEO, you just need the $10k entry fee to entry a non Kona race & then the extra to enter Kona. IF you race CEO u have a better than 50/50 chance of getting a spot.

$1742.00 is not all that expensive when you consider that tonight some couples are going out and dropping $200-250 on one fancy restaurant meal - if you paid $4.50 for a coffee each day for 300 working days in a year it is already up to $1,350

Two bottles of wine bought on special per week is over $1,000 - the money is there - some just choose to spend it in different ways

• Like 1

I clearly need to go out to dinner more, and take up drinking coffee and wine.

52 minutes ago, AP said:

$1742.00 is not all that expensive when you consider that tonight some couples are going out and dropping $200-250 on one fancy restaurant meal - if you paid $4.50 for a coffee each day for 300 working days in a year it is already up to $1,350

Two bottles of wine bought on special per week is over $1,000 - the money is there - some just choose to spend it in different ways

Agreed. 

Some drink, some get coffee, some eat out, some buy tech, some  have fancy phones, stereos, garmins, central house lights, heating and airconditioning. Some enter races. Some travel and camp. 

Each to their own. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AP said:

Bit like buying ceramic speed jockey wheels ?

13 hours ago, AP said:

shiiiiiiiit. I just dropped £100 on 10 bottles of Gonzalez Byass Cristina Sherry in Jerez, Spain, plus the tour of the winery. Don't I feel like a total loser. If only I could work out how to get a better life - then I could go to Kona again!

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Customer said:

shiiiiiiiit. I just dropped £100 on 10 bottles of Gonzalez Byass Cristina Sherry in Jerez, Spain, plus the tour of the winery. Don't I feel like a total loser. If only I work out how to get a better life - then I could go to Kona again!

Triathlon is a good sport, good for the body and health. It has become increasingly expensive.

Entry fees, kit, paying to stay and get to race sites, swim pool entries. I am doing Port, got sick the last time so wanted to go round one more time.

Entry $800

Apartment $2800

Fuel back and forth $400

Food keep family happy $400

That is for one race. I can take the family on a very nice holiday. 

Ironman is not great for mental health. Once you get past the initial races, long term I think it is bad for most peoples mental health.

$1742 gets you a nice week at the coast

It comes down to "Each to his own" - this argument could go for 100 pages - enjoy your sherry Customer - it's 10yrs since I tasted sherry - would rather go to Kona again and beat that old Canadian guy - if I hold back on the manual work a bit I'll recover better and have him covered 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, AP said:

It comes down to "Each to his own" - this argument could go for 100 pages - enjoy your sherry Customer - it's 10yrs since I tasted sherry - would rather go to Kona again and beat that old Canadian guy - if I hold back on the manual work a bit I'll recover better and have him covered 

I agree with AP - each to their own. I envy the fact that AP goes year after year. Who cares about the price. Live life I say.

It's like all the people who go skiing and want to whinge about the cost of accommodation and lift tickets. If you don't like it don't go!!! If you want to Ski or race Kona..... pay the cost. If you don't, someone else will!

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I agree with AP - each to their own. I envy the fact that AP goes year after year. Who cares about the price. Live life I say.

It's like all the people who go skiing and want to whinge about the cost of accommodation and lift tickets. If you don't like it don't go!!! If you want to Ski or race Kona..... pay the cost. If you don't, someone else will!

Why don't you go year after year?

5 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Triathlon is a good sport, good for the body and health. 

Pretty sure munching on gels, lollies, infinit and pastries for 6 hours on Saturday mornings isn't good for you.

6 hours ago, AP said:

Well he seems to have other goals. He said he isn’t going back. He wants to be the itu Olympic distance champion. 

Maybe if you win your age group you might have some new goals. 

Good luck for the win this year. 

Isnt the saying the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome?

Edited by Peter

8 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Triathlon is a good sport, good for the body and health. It has become increasingly expensive.

Entry fees, kit, paying to stay and get to race sites, swim pool entries. I am doing Port, got sick the last time so wanted to go round one more time.

Entry $800

Apartment $2800

Fuel back and forth $400

Food keep family happy $400

That is for one race. I can take the family on a very nice holiday. 

Ironman is not great for mental health. Once you get past the initial races, long term I think it is bad for most peoples mental health.

$1742 gets you a nice week at the coast

For me Ironman is great for mental health. Long runs and rides are a form of meditation where I turn my brain off and enjoy the experience. Triathlon has allowed me to build up a supportive social and training network, also important for mental health. I am not at all competitive so finishing an IM is a success. Not doing a PB or no going top 10 are irrelevant to me.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

For me Ironman is great for mental health. Long runs and rides are a form of meditation where I turn my brain off and enjoy the experience. Triathlon has allowed me to build up a supportive social and training network, also important for mental health. I am not at all competitive so finishing an IM is a success. Not doing a PB or no going top 10 are irrelevant to me.

Same except the social thing. I like to train solo. 

Guest FFF1077
On 07/03/2019 at 2:13 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

At least the flights are acceptable. They were dearer than that in 1990.

There were planes back then?? 🤔😳😂😂😂

Guest FFF1077
On 09/03/2019 at 10:48 AM, prizna said:

Pretty sure munching on gels, lollies, infinit and pastries for 6 hours on Saturday mornings isn't good for you.

Show me the study proving otherwise.... LOL 

I just found out that I have to do a qualifying race between January and August 2019. IMWA last December does not count, even though the KQ slots were for 2019. Fortunately it can be a half or a full.

I will have to enter Busso 70.3 in early May. So add another $432 to the cost.