KieranR

Importing music into iMovie - MacBook

Do we have any Apple gurus here?

I'm making a short video from my daughter and I day out yesterday using iMovie on the MacBook and it is not showing any of the music we have in iTunes, and after reading all forums and stuff I'm still having no luck.  any suggestions?  all apps and software is up to date, have tired clicking and dragging the songs down to the soundbar etc and still no luck.

Any help greatly appreciated

I am pretty sure its to do with copyright of Apple Music.  in iMovie when you click 'audio' it should tell you if they are protected. 

7 minutes ago, Prince said:

I am pretty sure its to do with copyright of Apple Music.  in iMovie when you click 'audio' it should tell you if they are protected. 

ok, im a really simple person and that's just confused me.  when I click audio tab, there are three options, iTunes, garage band and Sound effects, click on sound effects and it has al the options, garage band is empty as is iTunes tab.  but it says "the contents of your iTunes library will appear here" but this isn't happening.

I would have thought if it was a licensing thing with Apple Music then it wouldn't even give you the option.  all the forums and support centre help questions indicate that you can import songs from iTunes into iMovie 

is the itunes content stored locally on the macbook?

I just saw a couple of threads where it won't add music from the cloud.

I assume you've got both apps running on the 1 apple id?

22 minutes ago, Tyno said:

is the itunes content stored locally on the macbook?

I just saw a couple of threads where it won't add music from the cloud.

I assume you've got both apps running on the 1 apple id?

Ummmm, when I click on iTunes it opens app all the music that is downloaded.  can't see any reference to a cloud

yep iTunes is open on MacBook as is iMovie all on wires apple log in

here's how mine looks.  at the bottom, you can see that 4500 files are protected and these do not even show up in my list. the songs I can see are not from iTunes but I probably ripped from a cd.  try either downloading a song from another way or from a cd to see if that shows up. or, you can search for 'free royalty free songs' in google and download and see if that lets you import into iMovie. 

1328018543_ScreenShot2019-03-06at4_35_03am.thumb.png.32c94c64ff732b691c3cf33a3323926f.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 4.35.03 am.png

Edited by Prince

OK, thanks

I ended finding out you cant import from apple music because its cloud based, so i found a different down loader and did it that way, converted to mp3 and dragged it from my desktop into Imovie.