Jump to content
xblane

I run on a tightrope...help

Recommended Posts

If you drew a line on the road, I'd naturally run with both feet landing on the line (not at the same time ;P).

Anyone overcome anything like this? Suggestions on how to improve?

B9D088FC-CBF9-4A67-B5BA-D2DACF624AA1.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I used to do that, when I could run.

Would be handy if you ever need to run on, say, a tightrope!

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, prizna said:

no comment about feet but you do need a better hat

No one can top yours... Suggestions tho?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would two cans get you through an Ironman?  I guess there's special needs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suggestions?  Stop trying to sashay down the finishing chute...😋

I guess you could do drills deliberately landing wide?  Or run thinking about your foot landing wide?  They suggest to swimmers who cross-over their arms simply to think about entering the water really wide.  They also suggest to do drills swimming over the black line and to think about entering your hand wide of the line - don't see why this idea wouldn't work for running ???  

Edited by BogFrog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, xblane said:

If you drew a line on the road, I'd naturally run with both feet landing on the line (not at the same time ;P).

Anyone overcome anything like this? Suggestions on how to improve?

 

Are you a model?

thats how supermodels walk catwalks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That doesn't look great for the hips! I wonder how much I crossover? Install a taught piece of string down the middle of the treadmill or something - that will encourage non crossover action :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like the idea of sufficiently outrageous headgear to draw attention away from the supermodel walk.

Been pointed at The Gait Guys, in particular, part 2. Part 1 is also worth a watch

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grab a piece of chalk. Measure on a treadmill the centre point. Go two cm either side of centre and mark two line (turn treadmill on and hit it at correct measurement with chalk). Try to run without wearing out the chalk. Any further than a few cm is too far. If you get any pain etc stop! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take a pic of my treadmill late to explain what I mean. I don't think that makes sense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you thinking about addressing the issue due to injury or just because?

That is, if you are not getting run injuries and can hold an ok pace (eg can you do 5km in 20 min), then what’s the issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a similar problem. Through a running coach / physio, we worked on strength through the glutes, hips, notcha (non scientific term...). Worked a treat for me. But had to change very slowly to prevent injury. 

A tip he gave me was picturing the feeling of running with an electric fence between your legs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trilobite said:

Are you thinking about addressing the issue due to injury or just because?

That is, if you are not getting run injuries and can hold an ok pace (eg can you do 5km in 20 min), then what’s the issue?

No injuries at the moment, but I wear my shoes quite badly (300-400km) on the left foot and can cause ITB pain if I'm not vigilant.

I can't do 5km in 20min. Totally rested, flat as a pancake 5km is 4:38min/km. 

After seeing myself (in what was my best long course run) I couldn't help but think how much energy is being wasted going sideways. If I can avoid looking like a gumby that is a positive too 😉

1 hour ago, Kenneth said:

I had a similar problem. Through a running coach / physio, we worked on strength through the glutes, hips, notcha (non scientific term...). Worked a treat for me. But had to change very slowly to prevent injury. 

A tip he gave me was picturing the feeling of running with an electric fence between your legs. 

Aside from fixing the gait, did you notice an improvement with your running? Speed/power?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xblane said:

Aside from fixing the gait, did you notice an improvement with your running? Speed/power?

Yep. But impossible to know how much was changing the gait, and how much was from running more. Maybe one led to another. I felt stronger, but that’s because I was...

eta I did this with guidance from someone I trusted, over a fair time. Maybe get assessed by a run coach before changing too much.

Edited by Kenneth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, trilobite said:

Are you thinking about addressing the issue due to injury or just because?

That is, if you are not getting run injuries and can hold an ok pace (eg can you do 5km in 20 min), then what’s the issue?

This is important. Lots of people run weird and attempting to correct things can make it a lot worse... I like Willie's suggestion but keep the adjustments small and if anything hurts then stop. Lots of good runners have weird form... See Lionel Sanders!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone noted, if you're not having injury problems then I would not worry too much about the cross-over aspect. However you mention some ITB problems, which is of more concern and raises a red flag to me on the basis that you're likely lacking some hip stability, horizontally moreso than rotationally. Most people /runners can benefit from learning how to hold their torso (incl. hips) in a stable position...which is parts of skill, habit and conditioning. This is what I would be looking at if I were you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CEM said:

As someone noted, if you're not having injury problems then I would not worry too much about the cross-over aspect. However you mention some ITB problems, which is of more concern and raises a red flag to me on the basis that you're likely lacking some hip stability, horizontally moreso than rotationally. Most people /runners can benefit from learning how to hold their torso (incl. hips) in a stable position...which is parts of skill, habit and conditioning. This is what I would be looking at if I were you.

Was watching GTN last night about perfect run form. I have a suspicion I've been crossing my hands over too much and the advice was to visualise your zip on your running jacket and keep your arms/hands either side of it without crossing over.

Not sure if it is sage advice but was wary of it this morning on my run and was amazed looking at runners coming towards me just how many people do cross their hands over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/03/2019 at 2:38 PM, xblane said:

 

B9D088FC-CBF9-4A67-B5BA-D2DACF624AA1.gif

I want to know how many laps that run course was/is and if you ever got past that guy in the black and green?!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Did you blow a kiss at the camera?

He knew you'd watch it

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nealo said:

I want to know how many laps that run course was/is and if you ever got past that guy in the black and green?!!!!

2 laps. I don't usually pass people on the run... that guy wasn't an exception (unless he blew up later and I didn't recognise him). From other photos going the other way just before the turn around he is going faster than me. Couldn't find his number in any photos.

3 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Did you blow a kiss at the camera?

Heck yes. For my wife, but happy to share the love ;) 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xblane said:

2 laps. I don't usually pass people on the run... that guy wasn't an exception (unless he blew up later and I didn't recognise him). From other photos going the other way just before the turn around he is going faster than me. Couldn't find his number in any photos.

Heck yes. For my wife, but happy to share the love ;) 

2 laps? Isn’t this a live stream? 

Ive seen you go past at least 2000 times!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crossover gait and ITB linked

Treadmill with video feedback can correct this (using gradual withdrawal of feedback) in 8 x 30 min runs, without worrying about "strength" work.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...