roxii

Scooter (motor)

So haven't bought a new bike in ages so I'm getting a bit toey :lol: 

Anyone have any experience with scooters. Its not for regular commuting just a runaround and enabling me to get parking in Cronulla in summer if I go for a swim or to pick up some dinner etc.  also doing a few ocean swims in places like Bondi etc parking is terrible and public transport from Kurnell isn't an option so a scooter would be fine as I just need a towel and goggles. 

Reason for a scooter not a motorbike is that the Mrs has her license too and might want to use it as well and she couldn't be bothered with a motorbike. Daughter is not far off getting her P's so one of the cars might be getting used a bit more so a backup will be nice for emergencies. 

Road from Kurnell to Cronulla is about 8k long and is mostly 80kph so needs to be able to sit on 80 easily but wont need to go much faster.

So any ideas or advice please? 

:lol: 

Only need to tow a surf ski, so should be a tad easier than that.   

I have ridden motorbikes for years but a few years ago in order to spend less on fuel and parking at work and uni, I got myself a Vespa LX150. Lovely little thing, sat relatively comfortably on 100kms on the freeway, was affected by wind and trucks, but other than that was fine. I wouldn't even consider one of those little 50cc things. I've watched people on them struggling to keep up with traffic. Not to mention they sound awful. lol

• Like 1

That would be an excellent choice. A guy I used to work with had one quite similar and loved it. 

I had a 50cc scooter & it was awesome. My tip is get one that you can store your helmet under the seat. It's a perfect spot for stashing shopping on the commute home & I hate walking around carrying a helmet.

I only sold it because we needed a second car when my daughter started school.

I'm looking at buying another now. I have a 4km commute to work and a scooter will be perfect for it. It will also come in handy for motorpacing.

I ride one heaps.  In Melbourne you can just park on the footpath.

They run on the small of an oil rag.

Get at least a 150.  Maybe a big bigger if possible.

Biggest tip I can give you.  Go second hand. They are HEAPS cheaper. Also get one the helmet goes under the seat. I have the helmet thing on the back and its fine unless you have 2 people.  Then you get stuck carrying a helmet around.

Just now, Peter said:

Biggest tip I can give you.  Go second hand. They are HEAPS cheaper. 

Looks like the decent brand names arent actually all that cheap 2nd hand unless you go quite old with lots of km's. 

That Honda is just over $5k brand new, and 2nd hand they arent much cheaper. 

Other option is the new BMW 400 but that is $10k new, looks pretty good though (for a scooter) but they start getting back up near 200kgs so not great for the Mrs. 

alternative if just to beach is e-bike as no reg, insurance etc

I had a Vespa PX150 for 13 years, old school gears, 2 stroke etc. If you are going to get a scooter get a cool one😋

9 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

If you are going to get a scooter get a cool one😋

^^ This

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

If you are going to get a scooter get a cool one😋

1 hour ago, Katz said:

^^ This

Is there such a thing?

Probably isnt a cool scooter, but I dont care. Not really a Vespa fan. Want something with decent size rims and brakes that work. 

5 minutes ago, roxii said:

Probably isnt a cool scooter, but I dont care. Not really a Vespa fan. Want something with decent size rims and brakes that work. 

With your hip on its way out, maybe you should be looking down this path?

12059202-the-new-evrider-sportrider-one-sweet-ride.jpg

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, roxii said:

you used to ride a Giant didn't you?. Shows

19 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

you used to ride a Giant didn't you?. Shows

Function over form! 

(I did also have a Colnago C-40) 

My friend is a pilot that flies to LA weekly.  He has a "scooter" over there that he uses when in town.  It's a lazy 800 cc model!  Surprises any car that tries to drag him off.  

I could hook you up with one from Karratha, all the high school kids tear around town on one each until they have enough money for a car, in a town of 15 000 we probably have 16000 of them 😂😂

19 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I could hook you up with one from Karratha, all the high school kids tear around town on one each until they have enough money for a car, in a town of 15 000 we probably have 16000 of them 😂😂

You can get one in London, comes with its own hoodie, hammer and bottle of acid!

I rode a 50cc scooter for about 5 years until about 12 months ago. You can ride a 50cc on a standard car licence. It cost $4 to fill up. I really enjoyed riding it.

I had a storage box on the back that my helmet fitted in. Between the under seat storage and storage box there was enough room for wetsuit, shoes, change of clothes, etc.

Two of my kids rode 50cc scooters as you could ride one at age 16, a year before you get a car licence.

Make sure that you wear proper motorbike gear. I see too many people wearing shorts and thongs riding scooters.

You can get the govenor taken off a 50cc scooter it will then do 70-80 km/hr. Being a law abiding citizen I would never do something like this.😋