Sign in to follow this  
Ex-Hasbeen

Vale Billy J Smith

Those as old as me and Rugby League fans from Brisbane would remember Billy J Smith from the radio broadcasts on the weekends. I can still remember the controversy when 4IP was banned from Lang Park, and he used to broadcast from scaffolding set up outside the ground so he had a view of the field.

Those not from Brisbane may remember him as the host of "It's a Knock-out"

He died today from head injuries suffered in a fall, as coincidence would have it, at Caxton St, right beside his old stomping ground of Lang Park.

RIP Billy.

Do we know the guts of the incident ?   John McCoy was a way better caller

1 hour ago, Merv said:

Do we know the guts of the incident ?   John McCoy was a way better caller

I heard he was at one of his 'infamous long lunches with friends.' He was with Patty Welsh. I think there may have been a few beverages consumed. 

I used to see him riding his bike regularly in the early mornings when I was riding into work.

I would kill to have Patty's job.  Gets a gig at nearly every major sporting event in the world.

• Like 1

Dad used to know him, I think from when kids.  Donkeys years ago we all happened to be at the same restaurant in Redcliffe and he came and said hi.

Go Toowoomba!!!

Forget your UFC!  Forget State of Origin!  Stuff tricathalon! The greatest feat of endurance and sporting prowess in history!!