AJS

Best and worst 'refund' policies

Anyone got any good examples of best / worst refund policies from events? 

I am currently frustrated with the Canberra Marathon due to complete lack of flexibility and understanding. I entered the marathon, but have subsequently been plagued with plantar fasciitis so was hoping to withdraw... but they only offer 50% refund, and even then only with production of a doctors / medical certificate (which would cost me more to get than the 50% refund!)...

No deferrals to next year, no switching to other distances allowed etc etc

Is it just me that finds these kinds of policies so outdated and out of synch with the athlete / participant 'life'?

(And yes, I recognise that I signed up to their T's & C's when I entered - so caveat emptor and all that - but just felt like a rant!!!)

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

Anyone got any good examples of best / worst refund policies from events? 

I am currently frustrated with the Canberra Marathon due to complete lack of flexibility and understanding. I entered the marathon, but have subsequently been plagued with plantar fasciitis so was hoping to withdraw... but they only offer 50% refund, and even then only with production of a doctors / medical certificate (which would cost me more to get than the 50% refund!)...

No deferrals to next year, no switching to other distances allowed etc etc

Is it just me that finds these kinds of policies so outdated and out of synch with the athlete / participant 'life'?

(And yes, I recognise that I signed up to their T's & C's when I entered - so caveat emptor and all that - but just felt like a rant!!!)

assume you have seen at least one medical professional (dr or physio) with the PF?  Can't you request they email a letter confirming the diagnosis?

I had to pull out of, I think it was Byron bay, last year. Gave me a transfer over to this year. No problems at all. No fees or anything. I could also use it for any of the same branded races if I wanted to. Nx sports, I think they are called.

UTA. 

You can transfer your entry, buyer pays a transfer fee. I think it's about $45. 

Theres a normal wait list, and a Facebook buy swap sell page

Edited by Turts

Sydney Running festival allow a deferral request up to about 2 weeks prior to the race. It is only good for the next year, and you need to redeem it before the early bird runs out, or pay extra. No doctors reports, nothing. 

Keep the run number and just do it next year. 

Youll have a number and get a medal. 

52 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

assume you have seen at least one medical professional (dr or physio) with the PF?  Can't you request they email a letter confirming the diagnosis?

No, not this time... I've had it multiple times (in months and years gone by), so know that it's there and it won't be getting any better if I try and ramp up training... but maybe I'll ask my physio's nicely and see if they can write me a note on prior consultations (but that's probably a bit dodgy!)

On the mountain biking side...

Rocky trail entertainment have a great process....

Unfortunately ive entered two events in past few months i haven't been able to compete in..

They have no issue refunding or transferring entry

Oh and their events are awesome 

4 hours ago, Turts said:

ITA. 

You can transfer your entry, buyer pays a transfer fee. I think it's about $45. 

Theres a normal wait list, and a Facebook buy swap sell page

UTA?

Yeah they have a great wait list/transfer arrangement. I picked up a below cost entry late in the piece a few years back. And I think the transfer fee was only $30 then. 

I overestimated by ability in the first season I did all of the QTS races. I changed my distances around and had enough credit to put it towards an entry for the Springfield Duathlon. The Event Crew did the whole thing behind the scenes without asking any questions or charging me anything. The only downside was that because I was the first entry, I got given the #1 bib which I wasn't massively impressed with. I'm a strong believer in that the #1 bib in any form of racing (triathlon, motorsport etc) should be earned, not given. It also lead to a lot of people wondering the guy wearing #1 was going so slowly 😝

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Shuffla said:

UTA?

Yep, that's the one. Fat fingers. 

I got a UTA entry for the transfer fee. Nearly every year someone offers me one. Same with coastal classic :lol: 

I can't see why any race that sells out can't do a transfer. 

On a more positive note - I've found Elite Energy to be pretty flexible and understanding, and also Bicycle Network (3 peaks, Orange Newcrest Ride etc) have a brilliant transfer / refund policy... which just makes you think it's all one big money-making rort by Fairfax, when smaller organisations can put in place processes and protocols to allow a refund / transfer / deferral at negligible cost...

🙂 

Gotta feel sorry for the Bondi Surf club that runs the Bondi Swims, they had a few cancellations last year due to conditions, and offered all competitors a rollover to next year, unfortunately this year they also have had both swims cancelled and again offered a rollover. 

Now when you consider the cancelled events have still cost them some money in non refundable stuff and food etc, they are looking at next year having to run an event for lots of people, most of whom will not be paying.

So its not all money grabbing by RD's 

• Like 1

2nd vote for elite energy.

First year for AAA, and injured 2 months out, rolled over to the following year, 3 months out of the second year, and injured again, money was placed on hold until I could race, asked this year about spending the rest of the entry fee on Canberra olympic distance , and the response wasn't an email saying the credit is 3years old, it was the race entry receipt, they had even done the full registration process on my behalf. 

(Which is why I am not too annoyed about the LCW weekend change, even with my accom costing an extra $80 than it would have in April - These things happen, and they did offer refunds if required, which I know from experience they will honour.) 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

On a more positive note - I've found Elite Energy to be pretty flexible and understanding, and also Bicycle Network (3 peaks, Orange Newcrest Ride etc) have a brilliant transfer / refund policy... which just makes you think it's all one big money-making rort by Fairfax, when smaller organisations can put in place processes and protocols to allow a refund / transfer / deferral at negligible cost...

🙂 

Exactly my experience over the last 2 weeks - Mailed Fairfax asking for a refund or a rollover to next year for the SMH Half Marathon and got exactly the same response - I need to provide them with a med cert - thankfully I have MRI results, but still - only 50%?  I only entered 2 weeks ago.  May well enter last minute in future, which is counter intuitive to what they want...

Elite Energy were great when I told them I couldn't race last weekend.  I asked if I could roll it over to Wollongong in April (Sprint to Oly) but i didn't want to pay for the extra yet as I didn't know yet whether I'd be able to run.  They said no problem.

My Policy for refunds was along the lines of:

Until 10 weeks out full less 10% processing fee (remember the payment gateway takes a cut on both transactions - payment & refund)

until 3 weeks out full less 30 % (when we had ordered customized race bibs etc therefore the number was not reusable).

last 20 days into the event - feel free to have your race kit collected.

BUT

an entrant could at any time until afternoon before the race  apply for a transfer token (for another competitor to enter with) or rollover token (to the following year's event) these were at no charge (we would wear the payment gateway/wasted race bib costs).

(post event applications for consideration of rollovers on a case by case basis).

I have raised this before, but since it’s on topic...

A few years back I contacted IM Asia Pac to pull out of Noosa after seriously injuring my knee in an accident (ruptured anterior cruciate ligament, medial and lateral meniscus tears, requiring reconstruction be surgery). Notwithstanding I’ve done a few of their races (eg now entering in legends category), the best offer I got was a transfer to Ballarat 70.3 a few months later (presumably on the basis I would undergo a miracle recovery or race in the wheelchair category).

This was under the auspices that the systems used by IM Asia Pac didn’t allow a credit to carry forward over a year (not sure how this fits with being able to enter Noosa over a year early with the “MooNoo” promotion?).

And I was emailed this after referring the issue to then CEO Geoff Meyer (who had recently been interviewed by Roxii for this site and spoken about rewarding loyal customers).

It was a disappointing episode.