ironpo

Garmin 735 replacement ??

Mrs IP has gone through 7 or 8 735s

some last 2 weeks some 6weeks

garmin keep replacing them but have suggest this time to maybe go a different watch 

if we did go something diffent what would

it be?

it has to be as simple to use (this is important,)  no bigger , same battery life, doesn’t need multi sport mode as she uses the 520 on the bike anyway  

so she really only uses run and swim mode but must have lap pace and lap time etc 

suggestions

probably only looking at the 635 or the Fenix 5 (but this would cost us some extra $$$)

cheers

ivp

I found the Fenix 5 to be a step up in quality and reliability from my 920XT. No issues with battery, GPS signal etc And it's robust. Worth the extra $$. I had my 920 replaced twice under warranty. 

• Like 1

What is happening to them?  All the same issue? Did they recommend something specific or more hard wearing?  My 935 been flawless for 12 months but no doubt break just outside warranty period 

How were they dying? I never had an issue. I upgraded to the 935. Fenix is too heavy for this weakling. 

Same question as above - what were the problems that killed the last 7 or 8 units in 2 to 6 weeks?

That's a high attrition rate.

13 hours ago, pieman said:

What is happening to them?  All the same issue? Did they recommend something specific or more hard wearing?  My 935 been flawless for 12 months but no doubt break just outside warranty period 

No idea why it happens

allways happens after a swim, she was pushing the lap button underwater ( which u should be able to do ) , we thought it may be that , but the last two she hasn’t done that. 

It  seems to get water in it , although u don’t allways see it , it’s start buzzing and flashing etc , beeps , buttons don’t work then just dies 

all within 1 hr of a swim 

i ve had mine for the same period of ti e and give it a chaining at work with dirt , dust , grease etc 

its got a smashed screen  from the whippersnipping, but still works fine 

all very strange 

Here's an idea, they are just sending back the same device every time they "replace" it.

Pretty good prank if that's true :D

This is what I said to them after I had received 3 replacement Fenix 2's and it was acting up again.  This was all done quite politely.

Rang and spoke to service, and said that this was the third replacement I'd had that was now malfunctioning.  I explained the processes I'd  gone through to try and get it working (so they wouldn't get me to go through it with them again).  And then I told them that I don't think they can send me an F2 that will actually work (by this time it was getting a rep as a bit of a flop).  The service guy asked me what I felt a satisfactory resolution to the problem would be.  I said under Australian consumer Law, if they can't provide a working device either a full refund, or replacement with the Fenix 3, which had been out a few months at that time, would be the best solutions.   He said he couldn't make that decision himself but would get back to me, and later that day rang me to let me know they would be sending me a new Fenix 3.   

While the first couple of F2 replacements I received were inside the 12 month warranty, the last one and the F3 were all outside the warranty period.  They really didn't bat an eyelid at sorting it out and while it's a pain having to go through it all, they were good to deal with.

Hi have a Fenix 5 and very happy. I had an out of warranty issue with a 910 and Garmin were brilliant. There is a thread on here somewhere about it, but in summary, my 910XT stopped working 4 days before IM. I rang and asked if there was anything I could do (thinking of buying a refurbished unit) and in short they sent a brand new whole kit ( watch and HRM) to my motel at no charge. I couldn't be happier, hence the upgrade to F5.

I think how you deal with them has a lot to do with it (as with most companies)

NSF

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rog said:

Here's an idea, they are just sending back the same device every time they "replace" it.

Pretty good prank if that's true :D

Haha

that would be funnie but no

as we bought at rebel  sport we just walk into any store and get a bring new replacements in the box and walk out 

so it’s usually replaced about ten mins after it craps itself 

we even got one the night before IMOZ last year as it shot itself after her last prerace swim

even got one replaced in Kona when it crapped itself over there prerace 

No worries 

its been amazing really ,and the thing is each time it’s replaced the Warranty starts again , so this can go on for ever  and ever and ever 

Edited by ironpo