willie

Changes coming soon...

Willie I’m supportive of whatever you want to do here mate.

It’s clear you have everyone’s best intentions at heart, as well as the triathlon community in general.

• Like 1

Ill weigh in here a bit if thats OK. 

Having piloted Trannys for 5 years or so I can tell you that unless you are in advertising or want to spend all your time pursuing it, making a buck from advertising on here is pretty bloody tough. 

The smaller brands dont have the $$, the bigger brands are VERY demanding and to be honest we don't really have the number of eyes they are after. 

So it means that for most of that 5 years I was funding the site, now that's fine, it was my choice, and my lack of time and not wanting to push myself on others (its just not my thing) 

Anyway, thats why I thought Willie would be a good fit, there were a few others I had possibly lined up, but Willie was front and centre. The reason being that at worst if he gets no external advertising, he can offset that by using the site to advertise his own stuff, thereby indirectly funding the site.

In the end Trannys in its simplest form doesn't cost a "lot" to run, but it is an expense, and while the crowdfunding is a nice idea, the reality is that most people don't want to pay for this sort of content, and the few that would pay would end up funding it for everyone else and possibly feel like they are more valued or have greater say in the site and also make those who dont pay feel less valued. 

Anyway.... good luck Willie,    I've given you the keys to the family car, just don't break it :lol: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I think their are parallels to the podcast scene at the moment. There are a lot of podcasts that are completely free to download, but either have ads, have a Patreon option (i.e. voluntary pay what you want), or both. Most that do Patreon offer "swag" or bonus episodes for people who contribute a certain amount.

If you were to set up a Patreon option, I think some people would contribute. I'd be happy to do $1 a month at least :-).

I can't think of a "bonus" that you could offer for subscribing. I think the forum is small enough to not want to exclude anyone from "exclusive" Q&As or meetups or caps or anything.

13 hours ago, monkie said:

I have never felt "sold to" by Willie. The guy knows his stuff and can sometimes get it for a great price, sometimes his price is a tad more than I could get it online but I like to buy it through him because 1) If it breaks he'll sort me out, 2) He's given me loads of good advice, 3) He's a nice chap and 4) He runs Trannies so why not bung him a few quid? oh and 5) I know that currently I can beat him in a race 😛

6 hours ago, Cranky said:

Ditto

ETA Not sure about the last bit

I've been training ya know... I'd probably have you on the bike. I'm to broken to swim well and too fat to run :lol: the bike comes back fast though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, willie said:

I've been training ya know... I'd probably have you on the bike. I'm to broken to swim well and too fat to run :lol: the bike comes back fast though. 

That's why its called Triathlon. 😛

On 21/02/2019 at 2:53 PM, willie said:

Negative. The termites got the better of the place I was in. We can't reopen until we get approval from council in a new location (150m down the road) 

The brothel? Cool 😎 

17 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

The brothel? Cool 😎 

I used to work part time in one of the first running shops up here, the Run On Down. It was in an old 2 storey building that has since been pulled down, but there was a brothel upstairs there. I suppose being 1km from an army barracks main entrance was a good location for them. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Was it on a big intersection near/in Enoggera?  I drove past there last week and thought, "what happened to that running shop, and what happened to the building it was in?"

6 minutes ago, goughy said:

Was it on a big intersection near/in Enoggera?  I drove past there last week and thought, "what happened to that running shop, and what happened to the building it was in?"

Yep, that was the one. 

The funny thing was, it was a Nike only store (that was all we sold), and we had a life size cut-out of Deek strapped to the post out the front. Of course he was wearing Nike shoes & had a Run On Down singlet on. :)

• Sad 1

Hypothetically... 

If you make it a club, will you be able to sus out a Zwift kit? 

Just riding on there now and thought of it. ✌️