willie

Changes coming soon...

Folks, there may be a time pretty soon that the site will go down for 48hrs whilst I change it up a hell of a lot... I’m working with a buddy of mine on something and we reckon we’re close to getting it working (close means 6-9 months, depends on how quickly I can learn). It’s an absolute slog and ball ache, but will turn trannies into something kinda cool.

We might take a step away from Invision type forum/message board because they don’t seem very willing to work with us (it’s clunky and old school). Because of this we’ll need to move all this data over to our new platform to keep moving forward and bring trannies into the naughties, then eventually the 2020s. This will probably happen very shortly, within 3 months or so. Maybe, more complicated than first thought.

We’ll be bringing on the following services in the next 18-24 months:

Mobile app for android/iOS 

Support for all endurance based sport multi sports. I think we all partake in random single endurance based sports from orienteering, to swimming the channel etc that would be fun to capture and promote. We have the likes of Brick, MindOverMatter, Mel Urie, Lachie doing some cool shit that probably doesn’t get talked about nearly enough. We’ve got someone lined up to start doing some videos and the like with some of these cool kids. 

Free hosting/development for not for profit clubs websites and this will include a restricted clubs section that only club members can be part of (linked to their account). We hope to take this one step further shortly afterwards by adding the ability to shop from the club section as well as enter races and the like. There will be no costs to not for profit clubs for these services apart from payment processing fees (that will be at cost, likely to be circa 1.82% that the processor will charge me). I’ve seen what it’s costing some clubs and it’s an incredible waste in my opinion. Shopify is actually helping us out here a little. 

Sponsors - I’m currently nutting out a few deals with a couple of companies. They support a lot of what I am trying to do and are more than willing to lend a hand. The site will be somewhat branded and they’ll get access to be able to promote their stuff here. 

I’m working on @monkie shoe thingy that we hope to host here as well and turn that into something that works for everyone. We compiled a list of some 2,500 shoe models and I’m currently going through and “scoring” them with various views and opinions from around the web. It wont be complete for at least a coupe of years (to what I think we would both like). 

News feed - this will be automated so that it will create a thread to go along with the news article. You’ll be able to see comments from the thread at the bottom of the news story and if your on the forum you’ll see the news story with a snippet and link to the full story. Will be anything from races, interviews  etc etc. 

Beginner Programs - I do a lot of beginner running and swimming coaching. I am linking up with a few coaches/clubs to aid some newbies to our awesome sport (more heads and hands the better). Some of the stuff Cranky and others are doing with schools etc is awesome. We will be registering as a club soon to help some of you that live in random parts of the country to belong. I figure I don’t really have an ties to a traditional club anymore, but nearly every race I do I stay with another trannie. 

We’re also trying to work out a way to do all this, but keep it as a not for profit so that when I’m as old and bald as Roxii and want to pass it on, someone else can just jump into my chair and go forward. I’m not very sure on this one, was just a thought and some conversation I had with a few smart people. 

• Like 7

Sounds interesting. 

Happy to help where I can but as you know I’m an IT idiot. 

That migration to a new platform might be the ideal time to switch to that alternative web address too and then just redirect the .org one to the new one. 

Hey @Willie, is your shop still open? (like, physically?)

I steered someone to you for Huma gels, but they said the google search said you were closed permanently.  Your website is fine - but they were in a rush and wanted to grab some in person.

Negative. The termites got the better of the place I was in. We can't reopen until we get approval from council in a new location (150m down the road) 

• Thanks 1

Should adds if they need them get them to shoot me a message and I'll get them delivered. 

4 minutes ago, willie said:

Negative. The termites got the better of the place I was in. We can't reopen until we get approval from council in a new location (150m down the road) 

Damn, bugger mate!

29 minutes ago, willie said:

Should adds if they need them get them to shoot me a message and I'll get them delivered. 

Cool, I told them to call you, number from the website.  Not sure how it ended up.  

3 hours ago, willie said:

take a step away from Invision type forum/message board

To what?

3 hours ago, roxii said:

That migration to a new platform might be the ideal time to switch to that alternative web address too and then just redirect the .org one to the new one. 

Seems like a no-brainer with the direction it seems to be taking.

Today Trannies, tomorrow the world!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, willie said:

We will be registering as a club soon to help some of you that live in random parts of the country to belong. 

Like me

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Like me

Is there any reason why you can't join any club, irrespective of geographical location? 

8 minutes ago, Katz said:

Is there any reason why you can't join any club, irrespective of geographical location? 

nope, im currently a member of a club in qld, Im a bit of a club whore, i change every year, last year i was busso club, year before one back in Townsville, then I was a red dog member......never met anyone from any club ha ha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Katz said:

I'm sure you can but my idea of a club is a support mechanism. I can't see the point of being in a club if you don't have a bunch of people you're right with.

I know Kieran's Speedo size were that close 😮 :lol::yucky:

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, willie said:

I'm sure you can but my idea of a club is a support mechanism. I can't see the point of being in a club if you don't have a bunch of people you're right with.

True, but don't we already have that?

9 minutes ago, Katz said:

True, but don't we already have that?

In a way yes, but puts me in a better position legally if we're an 'organized and registered' group according to the law. 

Especially with begginers etc that we want to kick off. The races we're partnering with prefer we are a club also. 

1 minute ago, willie said:

In a way yes, but puts me in a better position legally if we're an 'organized and registered' group according to the law. 

Especially with begginers etc that we want to kick off. The races we're partnering with prefer we are a club also. 

Right.

5 hours ago, willie said:

We will be registering as a club soon to help some of you that live in random parts of the country to belong.

I missed this in the initial reading and to be blunt, it smells like bullshit.  How on earth will being registered as a club increase the feeling of belonging that many people already have here?  You can be a "support mechanism" without creating an NFP and I'd argue that Transitions has done a great job of that already.

Of course there are a number of commercial and legal reasons why being considered a NFP is advantageous (hence a lot of pay-to-train coaching squads do it) and the funds taken in could help subsidise many of the activities in the initial post.  Those that might become members are probably currently funding grass-roots activities with their existing memberships to clubs that they never see, just as Kieran has been based on what he says above.  I can't see anyone wanting to pay $140 to TA (on top of the club portion) if they aren't already doing so with someone else.  Why effectively rob real (as in not virtual) clubs?

Nobody, least of all me, is suggesting that the costs for this should come out of your own pocket if you're not getting any commercial benefit from it.  Have a voluntary subscription model if money is needed, I reckon there are plenty of us that would be up for that.  The fact is though that you are trying to get a commercial benefit from Transitions, which is fine but dropping the pretence will make it much more viable.  People are really turned off at any sniff of insincerity.

For full disclosure I'm heavily involved in a true, grass-roots community based club and while we're doing alright there are so many others who are suffering because of commercial operations that set up a part of their operation as an NFP club for convenience.  It really gets on my quince.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stikman said:

I missed this in the initial reading and to be blunt, it smells like bullshit.  How on earth will being registered as a club increase the feeling of belonging that many people already have here?  You can be a "support mechanism" without creating an NFP and I'd argue that Transitions has done a great job of that already.

Of course there are a number of commercial and legal reasons why being considered a NFP is advantageous (hence a lot of pay-to-train coaching squads do it) and the funds taken in could help subsidise many of the activities in the initial post.  Those that might become members are probably currently funding grass-roots activities with their existing memberships to clubs that they never see, just as Kieran has been based on what he says above.  I can't see anyone wanting to pay $140 to TA (on top of the club portion) if they aren't already doing so with someone else.  Why effectively rob real (as in not virtual) clubs?

Nobody, least of all me, is suggesting that the costs for this should come out of your own pocket if you're not getting any commercial benefit from it.  Have a voluntary subscription model if money is needed, I reckon there are plenty of us that would be up for that.  The fact is though that you are trying to get a commercial benefit from Transitions, which is fine but dropping the pretence will make it much more viable.  People are really turned off at any sniff of insincerity.

For full disclosure I'm heavily involved in a true, grass-roots community based club and while we're doing alright there are so many others who are suffering because of commercial operations that set up a part of their operation as an NFP club for convenience.  It really gets on my quince.

Stick man, I read it and thought more of the legal side of offering advice or training guidance to beginners. It meets the governance requirements and if that's the angle Willie is taking, then good stuff. 

For beginners I would rather a portal or resource listing displaying information and showing videos on how to do things such as put on a wetsuit or set up your gear in transition at a race. If your after and example surf on over to www.horizonsunlimited.com and check out the batch of videos they carry on their site. BTW this is the adventure travellers site for worldwide travel on anything from a bike to a motorcycle to camper van. Wealth of information. And a good example of what we could probably do on here. 

5 hours ago, willie said:

, but will turn trannies into something kinda cool.

W

I can't keep up with the kids these days, here I've been for over 10 years thinking Trannies was cool, and now I find out it's not.  Got to move with the times I guess, pass us the vegan cookbook would you Bored@...

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Stick man, I read it and thought more of the legal side of offering advice or training guidance to beginners. It meets the governance requirements and if that's the angle Willie is taking, then good stuff.

Willie would be covered by his coach's insurance on that front, as should anybody that offers expert advice.  Liability insurance or indemnity for content issues would be an advantage for sure though.

44 minutes ago, Stikman said:

I missed this in the initial reading and to be blunt, it smells like bullshit.  How on earth will being registered as a club increase the feeling of belonging that many people already have here? 

Of course there are a number of commercial and legal reasons why being considered a NFP is advantageous (hence a lot of pay-to-train coaching squads do it) and the funds taken in could help subsidise many of the activities in the initial post. Why effectively rob real (as in not virtual) clubs?

The fact is though that you are trying to get a commercial benefit from Transitions, which is fine but dropping the pretence will make it much more viable.  People are really turned off at any sniff of insincerity.

So I'm taking solicitors advice RE setting up as a club (he's also a member here). The club puts me/us in a much better position legally as there's a committee etc and yes, I've had a few people here ask me to set one up as they pay money to clubs they have no attachment to at all. I'm not robbing the clubs or the sport. 

Can you explain how I'm trying to get a commercial benefit from trannies? I might sell the odd bit of stuff here and there but I can tell you I've given back more than twice that I've made profit in the last 12 months. Ask anyone that's borrowed bikes, wetsuits, wheels, asked for coaching advice, is being coached gratis by me and it was never a commercial decision. I love the place and the people. Which is why I want to remove the commercial side by becoming a NFP and putting money back into grassroots. In essence, eventually I'd prefer it didn't have an owner, but a committee or the like (obviously someone will need to be paid to upkeep it etc). Which also ties into the club thing.

I get the grass roots club thing and why you might not like the look or sound of this. I put a lot of my time into doing things that benefit me in no way, I give my time because I enjoy it. I coach swimming week in week out with some kids absolutely free (differently abled or kids in need), my running club I take zero money from, it goes to helping my work with PCYC. I don't earn any money from coaching, I choose not to and I just love doing it.

Transitions is a thing of passion, not a money spinner. I took it on and want to give it back some life. It'll die soon if it keeps going the way it is... 

To be blunt, I found your post somewhat offensive. You barely know me or what I'm trying to achieve. Before bashing me or anyone else ask some questions behind those decisions first. My number is written a few times around the place. Give me a call and ask away. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

I can't keep up with the kids these days, here I've been for over 10 years thinking Trannies was cool, and now I find out it's not.  Got to move with the times I guess, pass us the vegan cookbook would you Bored@...

I don’t cook. I just use Uber eats 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, willie said:

To be blunt, I found your post somewhat offensive. You barely know me or what I'm trying to achieve. Before bashing me or anyone else ask some questions behind those decisions first. My number is written a few times around the place. Give me a call and ask away. 

From my reading I don't think it was intended to be offensive but instead is a result of people not knowing the unspoken motivations behind things. Knowing you a bit as I do I read it in a certain tone and way but other people who don't have the pleasure would naturally read it differently. On top of that if you became a club I believe you would have to publish accounts etc. so there would be no question of anyone making money without it being declared and clear so that's all good.

I'm very happy to help with anything I can and let's do a beer when things are calmer :)

Edited by monkie
  • Like 1

The beauty of transitions becoming a club is that those that don’t already join a club are hit with big fees to race. 

By this being a club at a fraction of the cost to be a member of a real club, those people will benefit. 

Ie

not actual figure as I’m in a data Centre on a floor 

join Ta cost $140

plus the club say CYCOS cost an additional $70

but if willie has this as a club for only $25 plus the TA $140

youd be better of joining here. 

Especially if you don’t join a club you pay $20 for a one day license. 

Once again not the actual figure.  

I spoke with Phil from TNSW  a few years ago and he was happy to help us get set up as a club.He said it could be similar to the defence force club where the office was in one state but members could come from anywhere. 

As Willie has said this is not to take away from other clubs but more to give those that HAVE to join a club at least somewhere where they feel they have some allegiance to hang their hat. 

2 minutes ago, roxii said:

Mad Willie has said this is not to take away from other clubs but more to give those that HAVE to join a club at least somewhere where they feel they have some allegiance to hang their hat. 

This is exactly me. I have no desire to join a physical club because work travel means I could never get there enough to feel like I belong but wherever I am in the world I can come to Trannies. :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peter said:

The beauty of transitions becoming a club is that those that don’t already join a club are hit with big fees to race. 

By this being a club at a fraction of the cost to be a member of a real club, those people will benefit. 

Ie

not actual figure as I’m in a data Centre on a floor 

join Ta cost $140

plus the club say CYCOS cost an additional $70

Does this mean we'd only be 25/70% as 'hated' as the cycos?

A short word of warning tho, being on the committee of a club is a "defence" not a precluder for personal litigation. It can still cost thousands to run that defence. That's how 2XU destroyed my event.

( and still paying off the expense! )

Edited by trifun
removal of vitriol

Ever since you went offline for the day on Wednesday the new posts function on my phone doesn't work-anyone else having this problem?

I would love to continue supporting my local club, and if there were things like training etc through it I would.  But it's purely a racing club, and I think many have seen it as nothing more than a little Gatorade series.  I spent years turning up to help setup, pack up and Marshall and it was always the same few doing it, even when races were getting over a hundred entrants.  Now that it's had to evolve with "local" races being near impossible and become a race series throughput swq, I really have lost the interest in driving 45mins to several hours for pool swims.

But something like a trannies club could entice me back to membership.....

3 hours ago, more said:

Ever since you went offline for the day on Wednesday the new posts function on my phone doesn't work-anyone else having this problem?

That has happened before too... I'll fix it tomorrow :)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I don’t cook. I just use Uber eats 

Do they deliver donuts?

16 hours ago, willie said:

<snip>The club puts me/us in a much better position legally as there's a committee etc and yes, I've had a few people here ask me to set one up as they pay money to clubs they have no attachment to at all. I'm not robbing the clubs or the sport.

<snip>

Can you explain how I'm trying to get a commercial benefit from trannies?

<snip>

It'll die soon if it keeps going the way it is... 

<snip>

Exactly, you feel there is a legal benefit to it which is a big driver behind becoming a club.  That's fine and there's nothing inherently wrong (whether I like it or not) with the other justifications either, just be upfront about it.  The initial short sentence about it being for people to feel like they belong didn't wash because people already do feel that and being a TA club would do nothing special to enhance that.

As for robbing clubs, emotive language for sure but in real club-land there are many that rely on the "donations" made by members who sign up for cheap TA membership but have no real affiliation.  Some smaller regional clubs price their memberships specifically to attract them to reduce the costs to their own members.  At $380 a year minimum for affiliation it can be really important.  So yeah, by starting a club you are competing for that market, the "no in-person contact but want TA membership cheaper" people.  It could, if the membership is large enough, hurt real grass-roots clubs.  Also assuming you would be affiliated in NSW then TriNSW reaps a benefit that would otherwise flow on to the state association that the member is from which is something that most wouldn't consider.

Commercial benefit in terms of a return on you investment of time and money, significant or barely break-even.  And I don't think that anyone is going to begrudge you that unless it changes the vibe of the place too much.  People talk with their feet though so that will be what it will be.

Can you explain the "it'll die soon" comment?  I don't really feel that Transitions is any less vibrant than it has been for most of my time here.  Old posters disappear (an reappear), new ones come but I don't think the heart of the place has changed.  Do you mean financially it can't be propped up forever (assuming that's what you're doing)?  If that's the case say so and ask for donations or have a voluntary subscription.  I'd pay it and so would many others because we appreciate what Trannies brings to the tri community.

Offense is taken not given.  Yes I was blunt, I often am because it gets to the heart of the matter quickly as it has here.  I often say what others are thinking but won't bring out into the open.  Why should any of the motivations behind this need to be discussed in private with everyone else kept in the dark?  If there's nothing sinister (and I don't believe there is) then have the conversation in public.  No matter who has owned Trannies since I've been here the whole community has had ownership and that's what we love.

15 hours ago, monkie said:

From my reading I don't think it was intended to be offensive but instead is a result of people not knowing the unspoken motivations behind things. Knowing you a bit as I do I read it in a certain tone and way but other people who don't have the pleasure would naturally read it differently. On top of that if you became a club I believe you would have to publish accounts etc. so there would be no question of anyone making money without it being declared and clear so that's all good.

I'm very happy to help with anything I can and let's do a beer when things are calmer :)

Exactly.  And there's only a certain level of accountability mandated by law (which changes depending on the state) but the risk of breaching the law and the reasonably high penalties if prosecuted can make it pretty complicated when you try to mix commercial and NFP.  It's not all rainbows and unicorns.

13 hours ago, Peter said:

<snip>

Race day fees are pitifully small.  You have to race about a dozen times a year (or maybe half that all long-course) for it to be a cost-benefit on that alone.  But this above is exactly what I'm talking about some small clubs doing to get funds to help them run for their members.  An option for people who just want cheap TA membership.  Doing this would absolutely take money out of physical clubs.

2 hours ago, goughy said:

But something like a trannies club could entice me back to membership.....

And that would be a real positive of doing this, however I think you would be in the minority.  The majority of Trannie Club members would come from existing TA members whose club fees currently go elsewhere.  If it was started as a non-TA affiliated club with modest fees I'd probably join though to support the site.  Get independent NFP insurance (lots of options available) and the benefits to Willie and the site are the same without the unintended consequences.

TA Membership is a waste of money for me. Local clubs are are going to fade out.

The Instagram training groups will take over. I noticed one poster on here who posted a couple of pics of his trainign squad looked to have an avg of 50 & over weight.

Doing this would absolutely take money out of physical clubs

I don’t agree. 

These people aren’t paying club membership now so doing so by joining here, TA gets membership fees and the transitions club does too. 

And you never know. One day, transitions might actually run an aquathon. Then a race.  Or maybe the transitions membership might go towards a hire of a venue at Ironman’s. 

The options are endless. But it has to start somewhere. 

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, willie said:

Folks, there may be a time pretty soon that the site will go down for 48hrs whilst I change it up a hell of a lot... I’m working with a buddy of mine on something and we reckon we’re close to getting it working (close means 6-9 months, depends on how quickly I can learn). It’s an absolute slog and ball ache, but will turn trannies into something kinda cool.

We might take a step away from Invision type forum/message board because they don’t seem very willing to work with us (it’s clunky and old school). Because of this we’ll need to move all this data over to our new platform to keep moving forward and bring trannies into the naughties, then eventually the 2020s. This will probably happen very shortly, within 3 months or so. Maybe, more complicated than first thought.

We’ll be bringing on the following services in the next 18-24 months:

So, is it soon, 6-9 months or 18-24 months?  Or a gradual inclusion of the additional features?

As for the membership, there are lots of small regional clubs that have low fees, so you can get your TA/State membership at the lower rate. You don't have to live in that state even.   Interesting idea for those that want to be in the Tranny club - but probably not going to bring a lot of new people into TA membership "on the cheap" as that ability is already there, and those that want to would already have done it.

As long as it doesn't become too branded - ie, where is the money going that the sponsors will pay?  Site maintenance costs only?  Financial benefit to you as the owner?  Either way, as long as it is clear, and doesn't distract from it being a community engagement education, information, camaraderie type thing.

And a clear line in the sand so every topic on gear doesnt continue to end up with a suggestion that you stock the item and can get a good price. 

(Or the new sponsors). Had it a few times, and it's a bit annoying, predictable and repetitive. 

There needs to be a place for the promo sales stuff, and one for actual content discussion without a commercial agenda or outcome. 

• Like 1

This all sounds quite intriguing. Only thing I'll add is that while some are suggesting people will pay a subscription to be here 5-10 might but no one else will. It's an internet forum! Who pays for that? Would never fly in my opinion.

Sounds like the intent is to build the community not exploit it. Personally I'm fine with some commercialisation. It can do wonders for consumers as well as site owners.

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

This all sounds quite intriguing. Only thing I'll add is that while some are suggesting people will pay a subscription to be here 5-10 might but no one else will. It's an internet forum! Who pays for that? Would never fly in my opinion.

Sounds like the intent is to build the community not exploit it. Personally I'm fine with some commercialisation. It can do wonders for consumers as well as site owners.

Agree. I now donate $8 a month to the imtalk guys.  Took me 10years 

How many members do they have that pay $8 a month ?

i know some guys that are computer dudes ,they had a service that was $14 a month my mrs use to pay it for her business 

one day I got on their website just to actually see what it was about they just clocked  their 800,000 client !!!

fo the math on that !!!!

On 21/02/2019 at 7:41 PM, monkie said:

I doubt need a beer but I'dlike to know how to make things calmer in my life.  

Actually don't answer that! 🤣

On 22/02/2019 at 11:49 AM, skel said:

Do they deliver donuts?

Crispy cream do. I may have spelt that wrong. Dazz bought some on the weekend and I noticed on the box it mentioned delivery.

But I bought a whole box of, 12 I think, cinnamon ones, from woolies for under $2 the other day. Can't justify the crispy creme ones. They're good but not that good 🤑🤑

On 22/02/2019 at 8:24 PM, oldschool69#2 said:

How many members do they have that pay $8 a month ?

i know some guys that are computer dudes ,they had a service that was $14 a month my mrs use to pay it for her business 

one day I got on their website just to actually see what it was about they just clocked  their 800,000 client !!!

fo the math on that !!!!

I'd hazard to guess they have about 500.

They use the money to go to Kona every second year so they must be doing okay.

$2 an episode is worth it for me.  I'd rarely walk the dog if I couldn't listen to podcasts like theirs.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

He pays the bills and runs the forum. He can do what ever he likes inregards to trying to flog some product.

There are others who use this forum to promote their on commercial intrest and contribute zero dollars to keeping the website running.

Absolutely.  To be honest he should be deleting more of the stuff that people are advertising for their OWN gain.

There is a difference between saying 

"I just got into HOKA shoes.  They have helped me so much" or

"If you want to run fast you need the right program. I have got 6 of my guys running faster in just the last 3 months"

• Like 1

Not that you need it, but I am all supportive of the changes. 

Willie - You seem to have a lot going on. I take you as an Entrepreneur. All good entrepreneurs need an excellent operations manager to deliver. Take your time, get the right team with you and all will be good.

• Like 4

I have never felt "sold to" by Willie. The guy knows his stuff and can sometimes get it for a great price, sometimes his price is a tad more than I could get it online but I like to buy it through him because 1) If it breaks he'll sort me out, 2) He's given me loads of good advice, 3) He's a nice chap and 4) He runs Trannies so why not bung him a few quid? oh and 5) I know that currently I can beat him in a race 😛

• Like 1

6 hours ago, monkie said:

I have never felt "sold to" by Willie. The guy knows his stuff and can sometimes get it for a great price, sometimes his price is a tad more than I could get it online but I like to buy it through him because 1) If it breaks he'll sort me out, 2) He's given me loads of good advice, 3) He's a nice chap and 4) He runs Trannies so why not bung him a few quid? oh and 5) I know that currently I can beat him in a race 😛

Ditto

ETA Not sure about the last bit

Edited by Cranky

4 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Ditto

ETA Not sure about the last bit

Don't worry Cranky. You've got him on the last one. ;)

• Haha 1