Stuie016

Cramping while swimming

Wondering if anyone else has/is experiencing this and might know of a solution.

I have ongoing issues with cramping in my feet and calves while swimming.  It seems to come on the harder/faster I try to swim.  Monday night I managed to swim 1900m (broken up, not continuous) at a steady pace and only experienced mild cramping in my feet towards the end of my session.  Last night after a 300m warm up I went in to 4 x hard 100’s followed by 3 x 200’s (100 easy, 50 mild and 50 hard).  Bang went the feet and calves on the second 200 during the hard phase.  Finished the session using a pull buoy but still experienced intermittent cramping with complete seizure at the end, and have the sorest claves today due to the cramping.

I seems to stem from the pointing of my toes as even day to day I can be sitting down and point my toes and the arch of my foot will cramp from time to time.

I know cramping is a relatively unknown since but does anyone know what may be the cause of this as it feels like it is more muscle related?

18 minutes ago, Stuie016 said:

Wondering if anyone else has/is experiencing this and might know of a solution.

I have ongoing issues with cramping in my feet and calves while swimming.  It seems to come on the harder/faster I try to swim.  Monday night I managed to swim 1900m (broken up, not continuous) at a steady pace and only experienced mild cramping in my feet towards the end of my session.  Last night after a 300m warm up I went in to 4 x hard 100’s followed by 3 x 200’s (100 easy, 50 mild and 50 hard).  Bang went the feet and calves on the second 200 during the hard phase.  Finished the session using a pull buoy but still experienced intermittent cramping with complete seizure at the end, and have the sorest claves today due to the cramping.

I seems to stem from the pointing of my toes as even day to day I can be sitting down and point my toes and the arch of my foot will cramp from time to time.

I know cramping is a relatively unknown since but does anyone know what may be the cause of this as it feels like it is more muscle related?

I get this all the time, though mainly after long sessions on bike or run with lots of sweat loss.

Therefore if this is you.... swim in the morning when you are likely to be most hydrated.... if you hydrated correctly the night before.

Things that may assist in your recovery apart from the normal fluids:

- bacon/ham

- chips Salted

- Salt tablets

- sodium based drinks - staminade etc powders.

Also...after a big training weekend. Find a good fish and chip shop and get a salty battered sav!

Disclaimer - I am no expert but the above works for me.

This happens to me quite a lot especially if I have "dried out" and not been in the pool for a while. 

Taking Crampeze regularly appears to be helping along with just swimming more!

@IronmanFoz - Unfortunately it is the only session i am doing in the day so can't pin it on workload.  Not sure if hydration is the issue as i do drink a minimum of 2L combination of water and green tea throughout the day.  Plus my water bottle while swimming has Hydralite tabs in there too.

@monkie - Have used BioCeuticals Ultra Muscleze Magnesium Powder previously so might have to get some more again.  I have only just got back to swimming after a decent layoff so hopefully muscle memory will kick in and ease the pain.

Swimming late in the day or after a run or ride in the morning would kill mine too, hard to swim 3km with your toes pulled up to your shins to stop cramping

as above, swim fresh, hydrated and electrolytes is generic advice which seemed to settle it for me.

try pickle juice shots

My cramping has got less over the past 10 years. They only seem to come on a little now and again when I get past 3.5kms (but not all the time). I do stretch the calves and hip flexors a lot while training. Before, between sets and after. 

A couple of things that could also add to the reduction:- an increase in my cycling; not a big swim kicker - more a stabilising kick; I do kick drills. However, I have changed my kick style over the years from kicking from the leg to kicking from the hip (Greyman feedback from years ago).

I don't use any anti cramping stuff - apart from water.

FM 

Edited by Flanman