BogFrog

Bike trainer sessions - help?

So, I can't run ATM but thankfully I can ride. This should only last 3 weeks so I'm not buying zwift or anything like that, but thought I should use the time to work on my worst leg... 

I have a dumb trainer but have a crank arm power meter. Can anyone suggest some sessions? 6x5min @ FTP etc I can figure out myself, but any other decent sessions? I've heard about unders & overs - what are they? I googled and it looked like 30 Watts over FTP for 2mins, 30 Watts under for 1min - looks HORRIBLE!  Or have I got it wrong? 

Yep, I'm a noob when it comes to the bike...  All suggestions welcome!

Just now, BogFrog said:

Hmmmmm Need to look up what that is and how to hook it up, but interested! Thanks!

Loads of structured sessions needs an iPhone or an Android that can hook up to your PM. Drop me a message if you would like one. I adore it, @Cranky loves it too ;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, monkie said:

Loads of structured sessions needs an iPhone or an Android that can hook up to your PM. Drop me a message if you would like one. I adore it, @Cranky loves it too ;)

PM ? What’s that referring to.

Here’s one for you, 10 min warm up 90 cadence build to 75% of ftp, 4x1 min @ 120% of ftp with 2 mins easy between each then 5x6 mins at 85% of ftp with 2mins easy between each, then 4x1 min at 105 % FTP 2 mins easy between then cool down for however long you want

• Like 1

8 hours ago, monkie said:

Power Meter :)

Sorry.............Doh.... Had a mental blank. Could not for the life of me think of that.

Couldn't get "Pedal Machine" out of my head. Was a bit tired and dehydrated.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Limited said:

An example of over/unders I've done is 2min at 95% FTP - 2min at 105% x 3 then 5 min break, repeat x 3

So 12 min efforts? OUCH!

Jeez I must be soft when it comes to the bike but that sounds HAAAAAAARD!

Most importantly, dont forget to take a photo at the end 🤨

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

So 12 min efforts? OUCH!

Yep - 12 mins but you could build up to it. It was more of an example of how close to FTP you ride. The difference between efforts is only 20 watts for me. Where if I was going over FTP by 30 watts it would be more of a VO2 workout

• Like 1

Session 1: 105% FTP-

Week 1: 6x 4 mins 2 mins rest

Week 2: 4 x 6 mins 2mins rest

Week 3: 3 x 8 mins 2 mins rest

week 4: 3 x 10 mins 2 mins rest

Then do another FTP test and start again the next month.

Session 2: Longer intervals at 84-92% FTP

Increase length of intervals or decrease rest over the month until get to at least 2 x 20 min on 2 mins rest, 2 x 30 mins even better..

Session 3: Longer ride with efforts

Longer aerobic ride with some race pace intervals included. If you are doing all this on trainer you could put more of the sweet spot in place of this aerobic ride

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BogFrog said:

So 12 min efforts? OUCH!

It's only 12 minutes at around the effort you can sustain for an hour and all below the effort you put out in a twenty minute FTP test.  The first couple should not be much more than a bit uncomfortable really.

*should*  I find sticking to FTP on a trainer REALLY hard and head wrecking, but I can do it out on the road a lot more easily...

28 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

*should*  I find sticking to FTP on a trainer REALLY hard and head wrecking, but I can do it out on the road a lot more easily...

Yeah I find even the shorter intervals I spend a long time watching the time left counting down. I had to stop doing  that and would end up going okay this is a 10 minute interval, so I wont look at the time left until the end of the 3rd song.. or something to distract me

Just starting back, but my fave for the moment is the Stephen Seiler 4*8 mins on / 2 off. It's the only intensity I do in B/R with only 1500 or so hard a week in the pool. 

Doing them about 105-108% of FTP. Really effective for me, but I'm not sure that I'm doing them as hard as Seiler says - I hit around 85% of MHR at the end of the final one but I don't feel like there's a huge amount more in the tank. MHR for me is about 204, so hitting 170 or so. 

Trainerroad is awesome. Except when you're having a shitty day and the yellow and blue lines are laughing at you. 

On 20/02/2019 at 9:30 PM, BogFrog said:

All suggestions welcome!

Much depends on what you are looking to achieve and your tolerance for the indoor trainer.

Here's an oldie but a goodie, the Hour of Power:

https://wattmatters.blog/home/2009/02/hop-to-it.html/

And a classic 2 x 20:

https://wattmatters.blog/home/2007/01/two-by-twenty.html/

This one explains why we might choose to do such a workout:

https://wattmatters.blog/home/2008/07/two-by-twenty-take-2.html/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/02/2019 at 9:43 PM, monkie said:

I can give you a free month code for TrainerRoad if you like?

This.

34 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Don't you need a smart trainer for Zwift?

No- a power metre should do

Trainerroad seems to use variations on a basic formula: 3 key sessions per week.

1. Short “VO2 Max” intervals

2. Longer “Sweet spot” Intervals

3. A long Tempo ride on the weekend. For triathletes, every second weekend has a brick work out in lieu of the long ride.

Delving into these a little more:

1. a typical V02 Max interval will be between 30 seconds and 5 minutes (once you have progressed sufficiently) at between 120 & 130% of FTP. 

2. A typical “sweet spot” interval will be between 5 and 30 minutes at between 88 and 94% of FTP.

3. A tempo ride will be between 60 minutes and 6 hours and ranging between 60 and 75% of FTP. A Trainerroad brick workout will have a cycle component of between 60 and 120 minutes with about 90% of that ride spent at around 80-85% of FTP, with a run of between 15 and 75 minutes immediately after the bike.

So, without downloading any app I reckon you can’t go too wrong with a 3-4 week program that goes something like this:

Week 1

Ride 1: 5 x 1 minute at 120% FTP, with 1 minute recovery at around 50% FTP. Repeat 3 times. If you download the TrainerRoad app, have a look at the “Baird” workout.

Ride 2: 5 x 10 minute intervals. Interval 1 at 88% FTP, interval 2 at 90% FTP, interval 3 at 92% FTP, interval 4 at 94% FTP, interval 5 back at 90% FTP. Check out “Antelope” on TrainerRoad.

Ride 3: 90 minutes tempo work st between 70 and 80% FTP. Check out “Echo” on TrainerRoad.

Week 2 

Follow week 1 but do the intervals for ride 1 at 130% FTP, add 2 to 5 minutes in length to each of the long intervals for ride 2 but drop the number of intervals back to 4 and add another 15-30 minutes to the long ride. There are equivalent workouts on TrainerRoad for you to upload.

Week 3

Ride 1: 5 x 90 seconds at 120% FTP, 60 seconds at 50% FTP. Repeat twice. 

Ride 2: 3 x 20 minutes at between 88 and 94% FTP.

Ride 3: Tempo between 2 and 2.5hrs.

Cheers

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 1