monkie

Different tubes for disc wheel?

I ended up buying a Flo disc and am looking forward to trying it out on Saturday.

Question... I will be running it with a deep rim front wheel which means I need 80mm or min 60mm valves on the tubes for that but even a 60mm valve on the disc means I can't get the pump head attached through the little window...

How do people deal with this? Carry two different tubes in spares?

4 minutes ago, gregb said:

Would a spare tube with valve stem short enough for the disc and a valve extender suitable for the deep front be suitable?

I've never heard of or seen valve extenders... if they do exist (which I'm sure they do if you say they do) then yes! Problem solved.

Probably 90% of punctures are rear wheel. So be best prepared for this scenario. 

When riding a disc I used to have an extender fitted to the tube with a bit of teflon tape on the thread, but didnt do the extender up 100% tight. 

That way if it was a rear puncture I wouldn't get caught trying to undo a tight extender with cold/ wet/ fumbling hands. 

If it was a front puncture, I would just nip up the extender as tight as possible and with the teflon tape it "should" be airtight. 

32 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Monkie - walk down to fast gear at lunch. They have on hand - bought some the other day. 

Ta, will do!

2 hours ago, KieranR said:

You need a crack pipe, just run a 48 mm valve length and use this pipe

image.png.230fc4268048dfa87c01087fc37c59b0.png

From memory I didn’t need one of these with my flo disc

1 hour ago, willie said:

From memory I didn’t need one of these with my flo disc

I don't have one, but the valve hole is huge on those Flos so yeah wouldn't have thought a crack pipe was necessary.

Edited by zed

I am armed now with a valve extender courtesy of Fastgear (and also now aware that the shop exists and is so close to my office).

The hole is wide enough for my pump head, it just wasn't long enough with the longer valves.

Valve extenders here too. 

Allowed me to use my stash of short valve tubes on my 60mm rims as well.