roxii

AP. What else does it take?

Hey @AP on a serious note. 

Whether we love you or hate you on here, I think everyone respects your work ethic and dedication to your chosen endeavour. 

You have been at the pointy end for a long time now, and you are also in a, lets call it "limited" category. 

When you have guys beating you, what do you think it is that gets them to the line in front of you. I don't think anyone your age trains harder than you or goes the the lengths you do with nutrition and supplements so what are they doing? 

Are they a bit more genetically gifted? 

Do they not work at all and train Full Time? 

Do they utilise other methods? (wink, wink) 

Im sure you have mulled over this too, what are your thoughts?

(in case you cant tell AP, this is a compliment to you, not having a dig)  

• Like 2

To make them rubbery and flubbery?

Thanks Al. 

I remember Bob Southwell when he was retiring from work, saying he was glad as it would give him more time to train.  :lol: 

I don't ever see myself retiring from work - a lot of what I do is art type work - creative stuff - I get connected to it and the time just goes - it's no longer work but I do get tired - I built the walls, the steps, the gates - a photographer friend used our place for a photo shoot for a line of clothes

image.thumb.png.ccd6bc203eb7701783fa725a2046d16b.png

Edited by AP
  • Like 1

She looks worried. 

Were you behind in the bushes watching?

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, AP said:

I built the walls

6 hours ago, Peter said:

She looks worried. 

Were you behind in the bushes watching?

I think she was worried the wall was going to fall down.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Haha 1

It is a credit to AP how long he has stayed on this forum (for the most part offering good advice), considering how much crap gets laid upon him

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Rob said:

It is a credit to AP how long he has stayed on this forum (for the most part offering good advice), considering how much crap gets laid upon him

He gives just as much. I think he enjoys it. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

I swear the people who stick up for him must have him on block so they can't see what he actually posts...?

2 minutes ago, pieman said:

I swear the people who stick up for him must have him on block so they can't see what he actually posts...?

Or are coached by him. I have never questioned his dedication to the sport or his ability. Just the way he posts & replies to people who don’t agree with him or share the same passion for Kona.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Rob said:

He gives as much as he gets.  The funny thing is the last 2 times I’ve seen him we’ve had a great chat.  

People come across one way here and other ways in person. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AP said:

I don't ever see myself retiring from work - a lot of what I do is art type work - creative stuff - I get connected to it and the time just goes - it's no longer work but I do get tired - I built the walls, the steps, the gates - a photographer friend used our place for a photo shoot for a line of clothes

image.thumb.png.ccd6bc203eb7701783fa725a2046d16b.png

Looking pretty good for 70-74, Al. :eek:

Though I'm sure you've had a bit of work done since I last saw you.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, pieman said:

I have never met nor been coached by AP. I do not agree with everything he says or how he says it.

It just seems of late that it has become 'cool' to lay crap on him at every opportunity.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I have never met nor been coached by AP. I do not agree with everything he says or how he says it.

It just seems of late that it has become 'cool' to lay crap on him at every opportunity.

My thoughts also

1 hour ago, Rob said:

its been cool for ten years

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I think most of it is tongue-in-cheek. 

10 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I think most of it is tongue-in-cheek. 

Yep. 

nothing to induce faux outrage or get the pitchforks out..

This

12 hours ago, pieman said:

This

11 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Or are coached by him. I have never questioned his dedication to the sport or his ability. Just the way he posts & replies to people who don’t agree with him or share the same passion for Kona.

AND this.

11 hours ago, Peter said:

He gives as much as he gets.  The funny thing is the last 2 times I’ve seen him we’ve had a great chat.  

People come across one way here and other ways in person. 

• Like 1

There is a lot of "in" stuff posted on here, that newbies may not know how to take?  Generally I try not to think of anyone as being nasty until it becomes clear that they are!  If they are, they inevitably reveal themselves.

The tough old bastard can handle it, and give it back if he can even be bothered...

1 hour ago, AP said:

When you speak in front of a large group of people you have to accept that 70% are going to be listening - of them half will actually make a change in what they do - so that's not too bad - you've had the opportunity to change some peoples lives, even if just a minor change - so that's a win - I only count wins

In that large group there's always going to be the couple who cannot pay attention, and they never have been able to through their school lives, they're the ones making paper aeroplanes or looking out the window - no-ones ever going to help them, they're the sheep who just follow the herd

Then there's always the know it all who asks too many questions, simply to enjoy the sound of his own voice - often asking a question in a way that it becomes a statement of something he feels he knows a bit about and would like to share with the audience - meanwhile the rest of the audience is starting to doze off

Transitions is a lot like that - we have all types - I know that I'm not going to reach some but I do know that by sharing a few tips here and there I can help prevent the few who listen from going down some of the dead ends I have been down over the past 30yrs - back 25yrs or more I wished I could have ask some questions of someone who had been there before me and had learned a few lessons along the way 

Sounds like a Donald Trump rally.

7 hours ago, AP said:

When you speak in front of a large group of people you have to accept that 70% are going to be listening - of them half will actually make a change in what they do - so that's not too bad - you've had the opportunity to change some peoples lives, even if just a minor change - so that's a win - I only count wins

In that large group there's always going to be the couple who cannot pay attention, and they never have been able to through their school lives, they're the ones making paper aeroplanes or looking out the window - no-ones ever going to help them, they're the sheep who just follow the herd

Then there's always the know it all who asks too many questions, simply to enjoy the sound of his own voice - often asking a question in a way that it becomes a statement of something he feels he knows a bit about and would like to share with the audience - meanwhile the rest of the audience is starting to doze off

Transitions is a lot like that - we have all types - I know that I'm not going to reach some but I do know that by sharing a few tips here and there I can help prevent the few who listen from going down some of the dead ends I have been down over the past 30yrs - back 25yrs or more I wished I could have ask some questions of someone who had been there before me and had learned a few lessons along the way 

This is everyone's forum, you are valuable contributor with loads of experience and success. Are you open to listening to others

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

This is everyone's forum, you are valuable contributor with loads of experience and success. Are you open to listening to others

AP tries to listen but its difficult to hear at his age.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Sure I listen - not everyone - I have a couple blocked - but I gave them a fair chance - I don't block someone for one stupid statement but when they post several a day it just gets too much 

I'm not about to go vegan - I'm bloody unlikely to go on the meat only diet - some things on here I read and discard immediately - and have no problem if people do that to what I may post - we're all on our own path 😎

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AP said:

Sure I listen - not everyone - I have a couple blocked - but I gave them a fair chance - I don't block someone for one stupid statement but when they post several a day it just gets too much 

I'm not about to go vegan - I'm bloody unlikely to go on the meat only diet - some things on here I read and discard immediately - and have no problem if people do that to what I may post - we're all on our own path 😎

I read all your stuff. I find it interesting, how the principles have not changed, they are packaged nicely by people and sold. I like the message of there are no short cuts and that in the back half of the marathon you need character.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think they call them cocktail franks!  But they find them a bit hard to get down.

• Like 1

Listen to all the advice, and take onboard the bits that work for you.

I don't agree with everything that AP has posted, but generally follow his advice on most things.

You can't argue with his race record, and I reckon I should be thanking him for many of my race results over the past few years.

Disclaimer - I've never been coached by him, and have only ever met him to say g'day at a couple of races.  All the advice has been here on this open forum.  Credit where credit's due! :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Do they have vegan worming tablets?

Do vegans have worms? I thought they'd get aphids or snails or something like that 😂

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Cranky said:

What a with all the worming? Is that why I'm always hungry?!

Omg.  

Rule one before a big race.  Worm yourself. The family. The dog.  

That and the multivitamin I follow AP religiously. 

I try and train some days too. 

23 minutes ago, Shuffla said:

... and visit the dentist

AP does not recommend that. 

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

He should.

He is 86 and been drinking a glass of Gatorade a day for 76 years. He is on his 7th set of false teeth. 

• Haha 1

The irony of this thread..... If anyone else posted this AP would accuse them of using excuses and and make a reference to athletes who really want the win will find a way. Then list the number he has coached to Kona.

On 13/02/2019 at 1:59 PM, AP said:

I do believe I handicap myself a bit by doing other things in my life that while they make me tougher and stronger, they do interfere with my recovery and are an increased fatigue load. I love what I do, even if it involves heavy manual work at times.

I raced my best Ironman race times when I had a bike shop and started late, spent my working days  working with my hands but the only strenuous stuff was training.

I think the guys who may beat me internationally are probably just a little more professional in their approach than I am. But I enjoy renovating houses, building pizza ovens, vertical gardens etc.

11 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

The irony of this thread..... If anyone else posted this AP would accuse them of using excuses and and make a reference to athletes who really want the win will find a way. Then list the number he has coached to Kona.

I suspect that analysis is correct.

I've never met AP, but based on his forum comments he seems very focussed on qualifying for Hawaii, not so much on the result once he gets there.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I suspect that analysis is correct.

I've never met AP, but based on his forum comments he seems very focussed on qualifying for Hawaii, not so much on the result once he gets there.

And if anyone else had said that, along with the comments above about still building pizza ovens that compromised recovery, it would be seen as an excuse for folding under the pressure of real competition. 

But I'm not one to comment.  My only pressure is to make cutoffs,  at home and abroad. 

• Like 1