Sign in to follow this  
AA7

Mooloolaba Tri Drafting Legal Sprint

Title says it all, adding a drafting legal sprint distance this year. Must be struggling for entries.

As this race is always a nice drafting race title can be amended to 'mootri adds sprint'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Aren't TT bike usually banned in draft legal races?

I'll save the cash and just do Kingscliff a fortnight later.

This is a separate race. But depending on how they do the wave starts, there could be some mixing up of the races. 

I am hard pressed to see how they can do this safely.  They have on their website both OD and Sprint starting at the same time : circa 6:35am.  Obviously sprint will start half way down the beach, OD, all the way down.  All things being equal, those lead bikers in the OD are going to be on the freeway at the same time as the drafting sprinters.  🙈 They are also trying to sell this as a good "beginners event"  Draft Legal?  Beginner?  yeah-nah!

Edited by Cat Lady

29 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

I am hard pressed to see how they can do this safely.  They have on their website both OD and Sprint starting at the same time : circa 6:35am.  Obviously sprint will start half way down the beach, OD, all the way down.  All things being equal, those lead bikers in the OD are going to be on the freeway at the same time as the drafting sprinters.  🙈 They are also trying to sell this as a good "beginners event"  Draft Legal?  Beginner?  yeah-nah!

This is what I'm wondering too. I'm guessing though that the lead bikers in the OD will be very quickly zooming past any BOP sprint athletes. But I can see the turnaround point causing a few issues. Someone doesn't see it, makes a late and sudden move across the road to turn while others are continuing straight ahead on OD.

How big is the draft legal sprint field going to be?  If it's only a few waves, they might be able to get them through the swim and onto the bike before the OD's come through.  Then with a shorter turnaround point they could be cleared before the OD's get there.  I think it all depends on how big they want the sprint field to be.

39 minutes ago, goughy said:

How big is the draft legal sprint field going to be?  If it's only a few waves, they might be able to get them through the swim and onto the bike before the OD's come through.  Then with a shorter turnaround point they could be cleared before the OD's get there.  I think it all depends on how big they want the sprint field to be.

Yes, I think they will keep it quite small. But still the potential for some crossover I think.

Definitely if they get a few with my talents in the field!

It says on their event program that the sprint starts 6:35 and age group tri starts at 6:50. so a decent but not insurmountable gap, especially if there are some real slow coaches in the sprint..

usually the opens go at 6.35 dont they cos my premium mates go at about 6:45 so I am not happy to be pushed backwards. if they still start the opens off at 6.35 it will be carnage..

you would think with a 25min head start most people should be out of the water by the time OD starts.

Given a 20min swim plus 20min ride for the quickest to reach the 10km turn around, gives the slowest riders in the sprint 40min to ride 10km

19 hours ago, Limited said:

you would think with a 25min head start most people should be out of the water by the time OD starts.

My first ever sprint swim time was like 35 minutes....so if there is anyone as slow as I was in the race, then I doubt it!

I would think more guns and confident/competitive races would target seat legal races.  Of course, I could be completely wrong!

2 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

My first ever sprint swim time was like 35 minutes....so if there is anyone as slow as I was in the race, then I doubt it!

so you would still have a 10 minute headstart on the first OD wave. even the ones swimming under 20 mins are coming out a fair way behind you, but a swimmer that slow will probably have a very slow T1 and a slow bike as well so they would probably get caught...