Sign in to follow this  
Ironnerd

Kona Bike Shipping/Storage

After doing Kona this year I am planning on travelling through the USA for a few weeks. I don't want to be lugging my bike around. Has anyone shipped their bike to or from Kona? Or has anyone put their bike in storage at an airport while they travel around? Any other creative solutions?

Tritravel do this as part of their service.  If you go with them, they will probably bring it back for you.

I stored my bike in Honolulu for 2 weeks in 2008 when I did the half in Kona.

Edited by Peter

12 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

What cities are you going to in the US? & more improtantly what city will you fly home from?

I was just going to suggest he asks one of your extensive list of IM contacts to look after the bike while he is travelling...

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

What cities are you going to in the US? & more improtantly what city will you fly home from?

Not sure on my exact plans. My thought was that I would fly to one of the flights hubs in the US, such as Washington, Chicago or San Francisco. San Francisco has the most convenient flights back to Perth. I can book flights using frequent flyers on this route easily.

I could leave my bike in storage in San Francisco. Fly anywhere in the US and and pick it up when I return.

When I went a few years ago I left the bike in storage at the first hotel we stayed at in LA as we made our itinerary loop back to that hotel before we returned back home. They charged me a nominal fee for it

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

let me know, I have a few buddies in San Fran who could help you out.

Thanks. 

According to Google there are quite a few storage places in San Fran, less than $80 a month with 24/7 access.

That would be the way to go, My mates all live in Marin County.  It will cost you more than that in an Uber to get  there.

BTW if you go to San Fran.  Drive up to Lake Tahoe & visit Napa valley on your way.