Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Have shit people always been around or just with the internet

I was just reading an article about a cyclist being killed. Basically a truck ran off the road and hit the guy on a bike path.

However the comments are disturbing. Being on facebook you can click in and see the peoples names and where they live etc...

Some of the people are just so angry and offensive with their comments.  Yet if you scroll thru their feeds they post stuff like that about all topics.

Basically just angry disturbed people.

Have people like this always been around but never had a voice or is this is new thing?

I'm not a sheltered person but some people are genuinely farked up. 

The internet has given them a more prominent voice, but in general, many many people are just shit!  You went to high school didn't you?

Yep the nut bags used to rant on the street corner and be ignored as being nut bags. Now Facebook and Twitter have given them a voice and the likes of news.com.au publishes their rantings giving the illusion of some sort of relevance/credibility...

Just delete FB,Twitter etc...we use Viber for group family convos-perfect. 

Now if only I could somehow stop myself from reading the news my 

More to the point - there has always been a %age of the population that are shit, but a bigger population means more of them.

Similarly, reporting of crime via the media. You only need one incident on the front-page or nightly news to allow populist politicians and commentators to convince the public that we need more law & order, when in fact on a population basis crime rate is declining.

3 minutes ago, XCOM.! said:

More to the point - there has always been a %age of the population that are shit, but a bigger population means more of them.

Similarly, reporting of crime via the media. You only need one incident on the front-page or nightly news to allow populist politicians and commentators to convince the public that we need more law & order, when in fact on a population basis crime rate is declining.

Well the crime rate decline is another topic entirely. When you have ministers, commissioners and senior sergeants etc who are all measured on these statistics there is a inherent desire to make them look as good as possible

Talk to a few coppers about how figures are fudged to tell a 'better story. 

22 minutes ago, more said:

Talk to a few coppers about how figures are fudged to tell a 'better story. 

I don't want to get off topic but statistics are completely made up to say what you want.

For example.  You are considered employed if you work 15hrs a week. But 15hrs a week is probably less that government benefits. 

It should be measured on money earnt.  For example someone on the dole base level is $13,000 a year.  So in my books until you earn over 13K a year you technically aren't employed.

back in the day I used to work on an IT helpdesk. taking calls was a stat.  But we used to regularly hang up mid call so they would call back doubling the stat.

• Like 1

Interesting read.  It's kinda like the internet is the new school yard.  School encompassed you, and the bullies (internet troll equivalent) could easily group on mass.  And you'd have the extremes gathering those around them to further their cause, maybe people that wouldn't have participated without the coaxing.

sadly we have more in common with the shit of society then we'd like.  using the roads is one of them

• Like 1

Always been there. In the past they would have been dragged outside the pub & had the shit kicked out of them. Now days they can pass comments from he safety of their home. 

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Always been there. In the past they would have been dragged outside the pub & had the shit kicked out of them. Now days they can pass comments from he safety of their home. 

Until someone tracks them down which is extremely easy. 

I won't read comments on any story or social media post about cyclists any more. Just makes me despair for society that these commenters are walking upright among us, breeding and voting. Started reading about the cyclist who died at Sutton on the federal Highway and the usual mcfreaking imbeciles start chiming in. Now that  he has been identified as military I wonder if they change their tune at all. 

Its the Pareto Principle. 20% of population have 80% of the brains. The rest unfortunately are selfish, angry, anti-social misguided idiots. Picking them quickly is the key to staying out of trouble.

Captain Positive signing off.

• Like 4